OK, So I'm apparently pretty stupid...

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jacen McCullough, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    When I launched my Firefox browser after a recent update, a Norton Antivirus window popped up with it. I wasn't paying attention and just clicked OK, but I seem to have told my computer that Firefox isn't allowed to access the internet. I have not been able to figure out how to change that, and I've been forced back into using IE (ugh). What's the easiest way to fix the problem?

2. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it antivirus or Norton firewall?

In either case launch the control center and look for options that prohibit access to the Internet. You might simply need to delete or update the item for Firefox.

Sounds like more of a firewall prohibiting outgoing.

3. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Grouchy stated, this sounds more like a problem with the firewall in Norton Internet Security, rather than an antivirus issue. NIS sets internet access permissions for all programs. It sounds as though you clicked the wrong button and denied Firefox access. Try the following to reset the permission:

Open Norton and go to:
    Personal Firewall > Configure > Programs tab, scroll to Mozilla Firefox > change the Internet Access setting to Permit All.

Alternatively, uninstall and then re-install FF and when NIS asks you to set internet access for the program, select Permit All.

4. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yep, sounds more like a firewall. Whether a Norton or Zonealarm firewall, go into the settings for whichever firewall and look for the program tab. I would find firefox, and just remove/delete it. Then start firefox again and you should be prompted again with the pop up.