Ok..question time..Why do you think the league

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Woodside Mets, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wants NYC2 so bad ? and for you Red Bull fans..Why do you think your team wants it too ? honest questions here

2. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the league wants the team beacuse NY is still such a massive market for the media establishment, for the massive population, and for the ethinc diversity of people in NY from soccer crazed backgrounds (although i think that part is overrated). I think they also think the rivalry of a 2nd new york team will spark more interest by getting fans to pick a side like NY fans are used, than just an individual team alone. Effectively i think MLS believes that in NY 1+1=3, and maybe they are right.

As a red bull fan i'm not sure why NYRB ownership would want it. From a business perspective i don't see it being good for them. But as a fan i think it will be a good time. At first i didn't like it because i thought it would be good for NY to have a team we don't have to divide loyalties to. But in the end folks in the NY metro area are an agressive and argumentitive sort. Arguing and dividing over who's better at anything is just part of the the city's identity. We need the conflict because conflict is in our blood. Whether its between ethnic neighborhoods, wall street investment houses, or a couple of pizza joints.

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Part of our City man - just hard to explain - well said and I think you are right - this attitude will be greaet for both the Cosmos and Red Bull - a rivalry in the area will divide people.

The divide will make it hard core too as now its not just a matter of - did NY win the Cup - no - its now - did my NY team beat your NY team

5. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because the MLS wants a showcase match.
    They want that derby game....
    the boca/river, rangers/celtic, matches...
    they need something like that to give the league extra media attention.

6. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See this is what most people don't understand. Garber is a New Yorker, he knows the local sports scene. The Nets on LI or in NJ can never compete with the Knicks. Jason Kidd said it himself. But watch what happens when they start playing in Brooklyn, it will change overnight. Same thing with the Isles and Devils. They can never compete with the Rangers with media coverage. I know people will say, hey what about the Jets & Giants ? Well go to any bar, pub or tavern in NYC on a sunday. You'll see way more jerseys and hats of teams not named the jets & giants. Why is that ? It isn't like that for any other sport. And the fact is 75% or maybe more of jets & giants fans never seen their team play live. So they don't have the connection that other NY sports fans have with their teams .

Media coverage is HUGE, look in the past week. Random blurbs about the Cosmos on CNN. Articles written on ESPN website . I've seen more coverage of the Cosmos coming and goings on NY1 then of the Red Bulls.

7. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because at the end of the day, they're selling energy drinks. That's their main point, sure they would love t win the MLS cup every year. But their bottom line is to advertise Red Bull drinks. So a team named Cosmos with a few famous Dp's wil help them do that , in the long run

8. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't man...
    if we do get a team, and it becomes a bitter rivarly...
    I can see sales of RedBull in NYC dip...
    lol...
    think of Rangers fans not drinking anything in a green bottle,
    lest they be supporting Celtic...

9. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But its free advertising man. Think about it. Anytime they say Red Bulls..The RB FO loves it. Thats why the named the arena Red Bull arena . It's their bottom line. Yeah , sure die hard Cosmos fans won't buy RB. But in the long run, its about getting their name out there .

and I know what you're saying. I know a few guys form Glasgow & Belfast who won't wear ANYTHING blue. Including jeans :eek:

10. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with you there, but mostly becuase NFL and football has a different nature to it. NFL is a suburban sport. While maybe in the city proper its one thing, i can tell you outside of the city in every direction you its NFL jerseys. And you can't make any kind of argument that NFL is not #1 for media attention. I agree on Devils/Islanders/Nets, but NBA and NHL are niche sports compared to the NFL behemoth. You're correct that most NFL fans haven't been to a game, but NFL has passionate fans that span much larger geography and market that Rangers and Knicks can't touch. Only the Yankees can comparably move the dial, so to speak.

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See i dont think that the second NYC team will help them sell drinks - i think it will help them lore people out to the stadium because of the rivarly.

Dont get me wrong - i happen to agree - sell drinks first - soccer second is their motto - but I just think they know what a rivalry will do for interest in the sport not only in NY city but all over the place and that will in turn fill up some seats and maybe even..gulp..create demand.

12. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it does create an incentive to keep RBNY competitve. The better they play, the more attention they get and the more the brand gets out there. I wasn't crazy about the rebranding initially, but they have done a good job building a stadium to be proud of and a decent team to watch.

13. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know how big the NFL is, I get it.Passionate about betting and fantasy players is more like it. The NFL is more then a sport, its every Sunday in the Fall & Winter. Believe me , I had Jets seasons. Stopped going in the mid 90's when it took me 5 and half hours to get home . Thats 12 miles :eek:

14. T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Hudson Valley
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um.... They bought the team because they want to turn a profit from the team, not from how many cans they can sell from advertising. Their bottom line is to make money from the franchise and become a globaly renowned name in sports, and make money in this field in addition to their heartattack in a can. And why do people assume that the owners don't care about the team it self? If the team looks good they make money, and if it looks bad they won't make money, thus they care about their product if only because it brings revenue to their pockets.

But then again this is the NY2 boards, I'm sure I can't convince anybody otherwise....:rolleyes:

15. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow...
    making money by buying a MLS franchise?

How much money do you think they actually make off this franchise?
    Most MLS teams don't make money, some do... and maybe redbull does..
    but if you think they got into this specficially for the TEAM to make the money, i think you don't understand their marketing strategy.
    The team sells drinks. The drinks make them money.

16. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, Brandon. But it never will be as Boca/River or Lazio/Roma because Lazio and Roma are 2 clubs of the same city, while Cosmos and Red Bulls are 2 clubs not only of 2 different cities, BUT EVEN OF 2 DIFFERENT STATES !!!!
    However it will be a great HUDSON DERBY or NY/NJ DERBY, but not a true NY derby.

17. holdtheMAYOO5

holdtheMAYOO5 New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely RB wants another team just because it will spur more interest in the league in NYC itself. Right now a big problem is that outside of steady soccer fans, most people have never heard of RBNY or even the MLS (from personal experience), and even if they have heard of the MLS most will dismiss it as a bootleg league.
    RBNY and this NY2 team are, in a sense, within the same company, being the MLS. If the NY2 team becomes widely successful, MLS will become more popular, which will make the RB more popular as well through more exposure. Just like when Apple released the iPad, even though it might eat up some of their iPod touch market or Macbook market, it is going to increase the popularity of Apple itself and results in increases of interest in their other products as well from these newly interested people.

Also, if the Cosmos and RedBull could make a consistent year by year hard fought, competative and gritty series, people will want to watch, even people who don't like the league, because excitement is what makes a sport successful at the end of the day.

18. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Wow..you're that naive ? Make money from a MLS team ??? :eek:

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You're being understandbly rather myopic and must be ignoring all the press garnered from the opening of RBA, signing of Henry & Marquez, first-place finish, embarassing first-round playoff exit, etc.

I don't believe Red Bull really want NY2 to happen, but what do you want them to say publicly? Their local option is up soon, anyway, so it's not their say. If they do a proper SWOT analysis, NY2 is as big of a threat to the survival of the franchise as can be imagined - a Cosmos branded threat even worse.

Head up to the Foro Italico on any given Sunday and you'll see this banner in the Curva Sud:
    View attachment 4762
    Roma was formed from several different football clubs to have one team represent the city. Lazio refused and were able to do so due to their connections to the fascist powers that be. But is Rome really big enough to sustain two teams? NO! How many empty seats at yesterday's derby?!? The crowd at your typical league fixture at Stadio Olimpico is familiar to anyone who went to NY's MLS games at Giants Stadium.

It would be a derby, but just as the Gals-Goats don't energize while dividing a city, one side always dominates as the big act in town. The Jets will never be as big as the Giants. The Nets never as big as the Knicks. The Mets never as big as the Yankees. The unity of a city like Pittsburgh around it's sports teams can be a wonderful thing for civic pride and its something NY sports fans too rarely enjoy.

I'm sick of hearing about the "nine New York sports teams." Will a second MLS side really alter that tally?

20. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mets will never be as big as the Yankees huh ? Guess you didn't live in NYC during the 80's ?

Why do you keep coming here and bringing up the same old failed bullsh*t ?
    Go talk about the Red bulls or something . You remember the last time , you said the Mets never outdrew the Yanks..Do you want me to pull the stats ?

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You asked the questions.

Why throw a hissy fit when you get some answers?

I don't know who you're arguing with in that I never said the Mets never outdrew the Yanks. But while I remember the mid-80s Mets bandwagon, they've never really rivaled the Bombers in terms of popularity. And my point really is that when you have two teams in one market one team always dominates the market at the expense of the other.

I don't think Red Bull really wants NY2; certainly not as Cosmos.

22. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hissy fit ?
    The Mets outdrew the Yanks from 1964 to 1975..then again from 1983 to 1992..Hardly a blip..Yep..suburban kids like you ALWAYS root for the winning teams.

23. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Wasn't a suburban kid.

But yes, I am a Yankees fan. I wish the Mets didn't exist. I'm a Giants fan and wish the Jets didn't exist.

When has two franchises in one market ever worked to the mutual advantage of both franchises?

24. Woodside Mets

Woodside Mets Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Woodside Queens NYC
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had 3 clubs in baseball..NY is/was ALWAYS a National League town
    I don't want to root for the teams you root for. We're not from the same area. So why would I want to root for your teams ?

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    You don't know enough about me to say where I'm from but that's beside the point. We certainly seem to be working with different conceptions of what constitutes "the same area." I intensely dislike your teams precisely because they compete in the same area as teams I love. So much so I wish they would cease to exist.

Would the Mets welcome the Dodgers back to Brooklyn?