Ok, Jordan Morris, is he the deal?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he goes abroad and proofs me wrong.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably won't and I don't think he needs to unless he wants more money.

3. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Going off SPI these are the clubs closest to the 5th% of 950:

VfL Wolfsburg
    AS Monaco
    Athletic Bilbao
    Lazio
    Celta Vigo
    Hertha Berlin

He could play a role, but I doubt he's walking into the lineup at any of those clubs.

bsky22 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he'd be a starter in no time.

5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching him today I'd agree with you. He looks pretty blah lately. But healthy and focused he'd make those rosters as at least rotational player. I personally don't see him as a starter for the best 11 on the US roster but there's no way I'd leave him off the 23 right now.

Paul Berry repped this.
  6. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Presume this means that you like Weah over him today. I’m of the opinion that Morris would be getting a lot more mins than Weah is for Lille right now. But I understand the other side of the argument; perhaps he wouldn’t what do I know!

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see Weah get a run in MLS in the Spring just to build his confidence. It's done wonders for Keaton Parkes who's come on leaps and bounds from where he was a year ago.

Marko72 and laxcoach repped this.
  8. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On one hand you have a guy getting tons of minutes but I wouldn't call 'in form'. If we're using Weah as the counter (not 100% sure of that one) he's got a higher upside but is getting no PT. For friendlies, let's see if Weah or anyone else fits better with CP, Gio, Dest, etc. And if you watch Lille right now, I don't think Morris plays either. They have a set rotation that's working and that's why Weah is sitting. His opportunity hasn't shown up.

I guess I'm sensing that Morris is leveling off and we've seen his best. Hope I'm wrong and it's just this Covid BS in his head.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Still see him as a forward. For a mid, he's neither a possession hub nor a two-way force.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he fits there best too. And given the weakness at that spot I'd like to see him there at least for 90.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I think he would be a major Asset for Schalke right now.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The fifth percentile yielded a slightly better set of clubs than I thought it would, so I might adjust it slightly, but I agree with the general point. Or to put it another way, I'm not saying I'm totally confident that Morris is better than, say, Josh Sargent, as a 'footballer' in a holistic sense (for one thing, I don't know if Sargent can finish, given he never gets chances), but given everything I've seen, I lean that way.

Marko72 repped this.
  13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah has the pedigree and the hype but Morris has been consistently productive.... both for his club and for the USMNT. I have no idea why people would choose Weah over him right now. IMO, it isn't even close. Maybe down the road...?

TheEmptyBucket, Marko72 and dams repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Morris has been the better player for the National Team. Sargent is young and improving. We'll see what he can do whenever the hell can join the team.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Fair. I had the caveat "currently" in my head, but didn't write it.

16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I like Morris and think he deserves minutes even with the full squad because he's been productive and being pretty is all well and good but we need our players up top to be productive. That said, he may well struggle for minutes when everyone is healthy and available, especially if Reyna is played as a wing full time. Then, Morris has to beat out one of Pulisic or Reyna for minutes and that's going to be a tall order. The only other way he gets on the field is if he switches position and can play as a 9. Personally, I think Reyna fits best as a 10 against teams where we will have a lot of the ball or as the false 9 with Morris and Pullisic attacking the wings, but Berhalter has played Reyna as a wing in both his first games and that's not good news for Morris staying on the field. And with Musah looking really solid in midfield, I'm not sure Berhalter will change anything there to accommodate Reyna as a 10.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ok, so we're switching Dest to the left, Cannon on the right, swapping Llanez for Konrad (good call), and Gioacchini at the striker role. Otherwise the same setup.

I guess Soto just hasn't impressed.

Here we go...

18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Keep in mind that the top MLS players are pretty gassed due to the effort to shoehorn the MLS season into less than three months.

Morris has been playing 80-90 minutes pretty much every three or four days since the beginning of September with few, if any, breaks. So the only way he can stay effective over the long term is to "coast" part of the time and pick his moments to turn it on 110%.

LouisianaViking07/09 and laxcoach repped this.
  19. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You're assuming that Musah commits to the USA, which is no sure thing. He's spent his entire career playing for England Youth teams, and is also eligible for Ghana and Italy.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I really don't think Morris has anything to worry about in the short-term, unless another player like Reyna or Musah appears in the next 6 months.

21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Morris and have no problem starting him, but in a fully healthy squad you can't start Reyna, Musah, Morris and CP, WM and Adams, I am no mathematician but...

22. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great problem in the hands of a good coach.

sXeWesley repped this.
  23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. If Musah picks the US national team, then we have a dilemma on our hands. I still think Morris has the advantage over Reyna being pushed to the wing.

Of course, Berhalter can always try Morris out in the #9 spot.

sXeWesley repped this.
  24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes you can..

--------------Morris--------------
    ----Pulisic----------Reyna----
    ------McKennie-Musah------
    -------------Adams-------------

Bajoro, deejay and sXeWesley repped this.
  25. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Morris being played up top by GGG, he should have already done it if he was ever going to, the young strikers are starting to come along and that ship has sailed now I think. On the other hand he would be 10X better there than Lleget...

Also, when exactly would we ever be that healthy? Anyway, ultimately I think Morris ends up being our instant offense sub off the bench, his pace, directness and energy would be devastating running at tired defenses when we need a goal.

SteelyTom and harttbeat repped this.