ok geniuses. things to work on before the wc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Oct 18, 2018.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    1) dmid forward passing
    2) speed sub for pinoe
    3) pugh's health/mojo

McSkillz and jnielsen repped this.
  2. Kevin625

Kevin625 Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1) better positioning/movement to give dmid options for forward passing

jnielsen repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Someone needs to develop/refine the ability to shoot effectively from outside the box. Without that we have trouble with teams that effectively close off the box.

We have some that might already have the needed ability like Rapinoe and others but they seem to either lack the courage to take the shot or, much more likely, they have been told to not shoot unless there is absolutely no other option.

Also our speed of play is a bit lacking. When we try to go real fast we miss too many passes by too big a margin. While a high tempo game is risky and it is natural for the failed passes to go up it seems that our error rate goes up too fast and to too great a level.

Both of the above could well be an effect of playing nothing but weak teams. Yes I know we played Canada BUT Canada and the US are too familiar with each other to gain much from playing each other.

Of course teams actually going to the WC are hesitant to play a potential WC opponent in a friendly leading up to the WC and there are very very few even remotely good teams that are not going to the WC.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Have to keep Morgan healthy. There is no good backup. Ellis needs to come up with a Plan B with Lloyd up top in case Morgan is hurt or suspended. Saw it against Panama, but need to see it worked on more against better competition.

Horan is pivotal. Need to develop someone who could maybe take her place if needed. I would guess this is Mewis. Need to get her healthy and give her minutes with the first team.

Ertz is pivotal. Need to develop someone who could maybe take her place if needed. I would guess this is Mewis. Need to get her healthy and give her minutes with the first team. Could be Brian, but it hasn't been the same with her.

Pugh is the first forward off the bench, but I'm not sure that is her job set in stone. Ellis could look at other options.

Or maybe Ellis just plays her women for 90' in every marketing event (i.e. friendly) until the WC and hopes nobody gets hurt or suspended.

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where the starting XI is right now, even if there are things to fine-tune over the next few months. The back-up positions are the ones I'm most concerned about, especially if there are injuries (which there always seem to be).

Back-up positions I'm most concerned about:
    -Goalkeeper: I know Ellis is set on her #1, but I'm not 100% confident in Naeher, but I don't think she should be supplanted at this point; The backups are the issue, and I don't even know if the #3 is really set
    -CF: we do not have a backup for Morgan. Lloyd has been subbed in there, but she can't go 90 if Morgan gets hurt. Press is not a like-for-like in this system. Williams, I think, could do it, but she doesn't have the same technical ability.
    -Right back: Sonnett is the back-up for CB and RB, but I'm not sold on her as an outside back. I guess we can always move Dunn over and have Short on the left if O'Hara was to have hammy issues again.
    -DM: I'm hoping Zerboni comes back 100% because I'd love to see her make the roster and she's a natural fit to backup Ertz.

If I were Ellis, which obviously I'm not, here's the things I'd prioritize over the next few months (knowing that the basic system and lineup seem to be flowing):
    -playing away games. We won't be playing at home next summer. Its time to get the youngsters used to an away crowd. I'm thankful for the upcoming European games.
    -improving fitness (The team looked tired in the 5th game, but we're hoping to go 7 next summer. And no one knows if there will be a game to rest everyone like we did in this tournament.)
    -keeping players healthy and injury-free
    -playing opponents who will actually test the team defense (this is still an issue to me with our outside backs bombing forward)
    -set pieces (offensive and defensive)
    -Improving depth: getting everyone minutes and creating a real team of 23. While I think chemistry is important, I don't want to see the same set lineup for every game between now and June. There's a balance between working on chemistry between what you think will be your starters and being sure any player on your roster can sub in and work well with the players on the field
    -Getting the #3 keeper, whether that be Franch or someone else, some minutes
    -testing some possible scenarios: playing down a player, developing multiple PK takers, etc.

This is not really a concern in woso. Every WC year the US plays potential WC opponents in the lead-up to the tournament; there's no way to avoid it. Once the draw happens, we'll know our group opponents, and the team will avoid scheduling games with them (though even that has happened in woso as the US has played Sweden in the Algarve or another tournament prior to facing them at the WC group stage). Between next year's SheBelieves tournament and the January France games, we're already scheduled games against potential WC opponents.

Namdynamo, McSkillz, cpthomas and 2 others repped this.
  6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #6 luvdagame, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    agreed.

they'll play as many top euro teams in europe as they can schedule.

also,
    problem is already being solved, i’m sure.

they probably have or will have scheduled training and several games against u17/u18 boys teams here at home. the training/thinking/playing at speed is invaluable.

what may be more difficult to schedule approaching wc time, is training/games against boys’ teams in a hostile setting (on euro soil).

7. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I think there is depth at every position other than the outside backs. I didn't think the B team played noticeably worse than the A team, in fact I think their stats were better and Panama was the toughest non-Canada opponent. Mewis does certain things better than Ertz and Horan. If something happened to Alex, I think we could win a tournament with Press. She's not great in the air, but she's better at everything else, including speed, than Alex is and has great chemistry with Heath and Pinoe. US soccer posted an instastory sprint race last week, and Press won it by a lot and I think Dunn and Alex was in her group on the end. I don't know why everyone says she can't fit into this system. I'd much rather have her out there than Lloyd or lead foot touch Williams.

Cannons and Tracer repped this.
  8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want the USWNT facing boys teams. Let's stick to women's teams only please. Everytime they do that, they lose like 5-2 or something. Then you get several posts submitted by snarky males that reinforce the idea that women's soccer is a joke. I am so sick of the comparisons between WoSo and BroSo they need to stop scheduling such matches or if they do, don't release the score.

blissett repped this.
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1. Subbing in the midfield. The current midfield is Lavelle, Horan, Ertz, Brian, Mewis & Zerboni. Problem here is Zerboni, Brian and Mewis r best suited to sub into the #6 against a quality team. Mewis can replace Horan but u lose something against the press and none really offer what Lavelle does. Ellis has actually been moving Dunn up to cover Lavelle's spot. What this means is they either need to add a midfielder who is an excellent ball handler and I don't know who that is or need better coverage at OB so Dunn can do it without hurting the offense. We may also see more of Heath sliding back into Lavelle's as she has a competent replacement in Pugh.

2. I really think they need to work out the Hinkle situation. I know USSoccer hates to rile up the fan base but IMO they can win without Hinkle but Hinkle puts them over the top. She is more consistent at LB than the more mercurial Dunn. More it gives Ellis options. There r teams that Dunn is better suited to start against and others where Hinkle would be the better choice. It also frees up Dunn to help cover Lavelle's spot with her playing every second of every game. I also to continue the lament the fact that Press isn't considered a coverage option here.

3. I think they need Williams. Williams offers the wild card off the bench. There will be situations, perhaps chasing the game that ud want to up the pressure with uber fast players like Williams and Pugh.

4. Ellis has to fish or cut bait with her CB rotation. It's certainly fine to have a 3 back rotation in friendlies but come WC Ells has to settle on two and ride them.

5. Subbing in general. While I can see the value of throwing Lloyd out there if they need a goal, subbing needs to be more situational than just automatic. Ellis needs to do a better job analyzing who fits better in the game at hand than these pre planned subs she is famous for.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hinkle situation, whatever it is, is unfortunate. And it's made more unfortunate by the fact that there likely will be another game early next year when the team will wear rainbow numbers. Would we have a repeat? With very bad timing? Or, is that really not a factor in Ellis' decisions?

For Press, for some reason she just doesn't seem to fit in with this team on the field. I can't fathom why, I think she's got the tools. But somehow her brain doesn't seem to be in sync with the other players.

11. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 McSkillz, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah how unfortunate that the US women's soccer team will honor and support the LGBTQ community. We should definitely cater to Hinkle's beliefs and abolish rainbow flags and any mention of the LGBTQ community at matches so that we have a good left-back that feels "comfortable" not representing THOSE people. You guys really are an interesting bunch when it comes to this issue. Every other women's soccer forum is very critical of Hinkle except the same 6 or 7 people on BS. I mean heck, the MLS team LAFC brought a giant rainbow flag on the pitch and has merchandise like scarfs and numbers that are rainbow at their Head Quarters and guess what? The fans aren't complaining or saying, "Omg the LGBTQ have taken over! What will my poor ultra conservative religious relatives think of this?" What's wrong with progressive issues in sports? It's been a running theme all this decade and in particular these past few years and people still complain about it. EDIT: I wanted to add that social change and progress of civil rights has been seen in sports for many decades if we look at some of the iconic moments in the 1936 Olympic Games with star Jessie Owens making a statement and the 1968 Olympic Games with the black power salute. So this is nothing brand new. This just happens to be about LGBTQ rights. People either accept progress or they get left out in the dusty bigoted 1950s bubble that a certain "leader" wants to regress us towards.

Sorry I'm off my soap box now. I'm sorry but this riles me up every time people start complaining and whining about Hinkle. This is on her. She's the one that went public and said all those terrible things like same-sex couples going to H E double hockey sticks on the 700 club. There are a lot of people like myself that get sick hearing that kind of prejudice talk when it has no place in 2018.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misunderstood what I meant. What I meant was, when the USWNT most likely wears rainbow numbers again some time next year before the WWC, it will be unfortunate if Hinkle again has the opportunity to play and refuses it. If I were Ellis, I'd be saying to her, "This is going to happen again, so tell me now are you going to refuse to wear the team uniform, because if you are going to refuse, then you're out of the picture. We simply can't have team members individually deciding whether they'll wear the team uniform or not, whatever the uniform is." (I most definitely did not mean it would be unfortunate if the team wears the rainbow numbers again. I hope they do, I think it would be a great statement especially in light of the Hinkle events.)

I agree with you that Hinkle is not innocent. She could have kept her mouth shut and simply declined to play. Instead, she chose to express her religious position (ignorant, including religiously, and hateful) as the rationale for her declining and then promoted that position further subsequently.

At the same time, you seem to be awfully quick on the trigger. That doesn't help the cause.

blissett repped this.
  13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well cpthomas, I definitely owe you an apology for misinterpreting your post. I agree with you, I wish this wasn't such a big blown out issue. I wish she wasn't against wearing the rainbow numbers because she would be a crucial addition to the roster. I'm sure Jill probably had a important conversation with her regarding how much LGBTQ symbolism is integrated in WoSo and the sport in general at least in the US. She probably asked Hinkle how comfortable she was with other things besides the rainbow shirts or what if they did the rainbow shirts again which I believe happens in June during pride month and she was selected on the roster. Would she just say no I'm not playing this June match and still expect to be on the team? I wish she didn't have such an issue with it but I don't know her, her family or her particular church beliefs.

blissett repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The fact is that Hinkle refused a call-up for reasons that had nothing to do with soccer but were purely based on bigotry. Before she gets another call-up she should be required to apologize but not for her beliefs but for basically condemning the entire USWNT and every single person that supports the LGBTQ movement in any way to hell.

Her bigoted remarks are her right BUT by expressing them publicly is also her responsibility and that responsibility include the fact that she injured all her teammates and potential teammates.

I say do NOT call her up. She is a good player but she is not enough better than her replacements to reward her for bigotry.

Bigotry, weather it is based on fear or on religious belief or, as is true in most cases, both has no place in sports.

Patrick167, blissett and McSkillz repped this.
  15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'm the amateur meteorologist on this Board dang it.:D

jnielsen repped this.
  16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh the joys of spell check without grammar/context checking.

At least most of the letters are correct and the meaning is pretty clear. (See another weather reference.)

It is also not as grievous as mistaking "poisson" for "poison" in French. ;) You really need to be careful in those Paris restaurants. They do not particularly like foreigners and they may take anything said by one literally just for spite.

[ I would fix the original post but that seems to not be allowed after a post has been added to the thread]

blissett repped this.
  17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Whatever Hinkle does in NWSL, has she ever shown it on the field for the USWNT?

The idea that you blow up your locker room, on a 27 game winning streak, heading into the World Cup, is crazy. The only interesting thing is that Dunn will be told to play LB next year in NWSL. She plays on the same team as Hinkle! I'd expect Hinkle to be moved to make room for Dunn.

After 2-3 months of playing LB weekly, I'd bet Dunn works out her defense and will be as good or superior to Hinkle for both club and country.

Hinkle to Sky Blue for McCaskill.

18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    From what was shown last year player moves are not going to fix the problems at Sky Blue. In fact from what I have heard from last year I would not encourage any player to play for that broken and cheap and uncaring organization. People like the people running Sky Blue FC are not deserving of having the great people playing for them that the team represents.

Poisonous environments like existed last season at Sky Blue hurt players and their chances with any national side. It teaches how to be losers on and off the field and it is dangerous for the players hurting their chances at playing for any national side.

This is really off topic for this thread except that it shows that "professional" teams are not always even marginally helpful for development of players.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Correct. USSF funds and runs the league really. USWNT players can move mostly where they want when they want. If Ellis wants Dunn to play LB, then NC will either move Hinkle's position or bench her. She is worth too much to do that, so they will trade her.

Conversely, if Ellis thinks McCaskill could be developed into a USWNT player, she will be moved out of Sky Blue. So, Hinkle for McCaskill. Of course it isn't in Hinkle's interest, but Hinkle is not an Allocated Player and it doesn't look like she will be.

20. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hinkle is not going to get benched. Some clubs would, but Paul Riley and NC Courage have shown they don't mind and can weather (haha) the noise surrounding her. They've shown that they care more about winning than cow-towing to USSF pressure. I imagine they are one of the clubs pushing to get out from under USSF funding.

Regarding Hinkle's beliefs, I'll try to keep this brief. While this can be hard to believe, I think she loves and cares about those in LGBTQ community. It's a matter of "hate the sin, not the sinner". To care for people even in situations where they identify in an area that you personally disagree with. In my mind this makes Hinkle the complete opposite of a bigot. Bigot: a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. I've gotten the impression that Hinkle is tolerant toward those holding different opinions. And that's all I'll say on that.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    USWNT players simply ask and they are moved. There is no pressure or arm twisting. NWSL just does what USSF tells it to do. Release players outside FIFA windows? Sure, whatever you want. They are paid by you.

Ellis is going to want Dunn to play LB. Hinkle will have to move. Does anyone think Dunn is the starting USWNT LB and she plays forward in NWSL? Might want to check out the career of O'Hara.

It is possible Dunn moves. But only if she wants to.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    nothing against williams.

but again I ask.

not mcdonald?

she offers more threats - speed, hold up play (doesn't do much of this at nc, but she can), assists (dangerous long throwins and otherwise) and headers (offensive and defensive).

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I could buy into the argument that McDonald is the better offensive player but I would still pick Williams because of the intangibles her speed adds on both sides of the ball. To be honest I don't believe either player is suited for the offense that Ellis is running.

24. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what you are on but no way is North Carolina Courage getting rid of Dunn or Hinkle after their record breaking season. Ellis doesn't have a say over what position Dunn plays in the NWSL, that's up to Riley. Dunn is going to have plenty of practice during camps and friendlies so she doesn't need to play left-back on her club team. Re: Hinkle, if she actually went public and said that she respects LGBT people at large, then I would be less hesitant to criticize and boo her.

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I watched O'Hara at Sky Blue for years. O'Hara was not a RB coming out of college, she was a dominant forward. The NT wanted her at RB. So, on a team with very few good players, Sky Blue played one of their best attacking players at RB. Right after the Olympics with a big window in front, O'Hara played the #10. As soon as NT stuff was coming, it was right back to RB (no pun intended) to get reps. She played RB because the NT coaching staff wanted her to.

I don't see Dunn playing LB at the World Cup without playing LB in the NWSL season.