Ohio Stadium one of 70 Venues Being Looked at for 2018/2022 World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Tyneside4life, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Does anyone else see 2 Krypo posts on the screen and quickly scroll past them to see if there is a third only to be disappointed when someone else is posted there?

For the sake of that poster they better have something good.

2. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just took a look at a bunch of pictures of the new Dallas Cowboys stadium and it is pretty amazing. Maybe the best stadium in the world (How's that for a bold statement?). Too bad they are charging people $40 to park!

3. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on both accounts, I've been there three times for OSU-Mich games and it's just a hole in the ground people put seats around. If there was a fire or some other need for evacuation it would take at least 30 min. You'd think their "brilliant" engineers could have come up with something by now.

Also I find it funny that every time fans get up to cheer they immediately race to sit back down because the seats are too narrow (they are benches) and people have to end up sitting on laps.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the "butt width" at M*chigan Stadium is 12 inches. At tOSU's Ohio Stadium, and PSU's Beaver Stadium, which are of similar attendance size, it is 18 inches (still not great in the cold weather, but a lot better than 12 inches). Note, however that all three stadiums use bench/bleacher seating for the most part (both Ohio and Beaver stadiums do have some outside chair seating as well as boxes)--M*chigan just marks theirs tighter.

Reality check note--I have been to all three stadia multiple times in different sections. UM is the worst by far--you don't sit as much as you are compressed into a mass of humanity.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One point: FIFA pretty much will want all-seater stadia. That usually means individual seats and not bleachers (that was one of the renovations done at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the 2006 Cup, which reduced it's capacity to 74K--in 1974 it was one of the only all-seater stadiums in Germany, but it was bleacher-style seating (I attended matches there in both configurations)). That rules out a lot of college stadia. I would be willing to bet that there are few bleacher-type stadia left on the revised list.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same thing at Ohio Stadium, or at least it used to be...that situation may still exist in some locations.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 inches at OSU? :eek:

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9QI18-Bpo"]YouTube - Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back (Best Quality)[/ame]