Ohio Stadium one of 70 Venues Being Looked at for 2018/2022 World Cup Bid

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Tyneside4life, Apr 9, 2009.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Because for the amount of money World Cup games would bring to the university and the city I can pretty much assure you that OSU would be more than willing to rip out rows in AA to make the field wide enough for World Cup requirements - I mean they'll have to lay down sod over the field turf anyway, what's ripping out a few rows of seats.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And would they be interested in having a smaller capacity for OSU football games once the World Cup is over? And how many World Cup games would Ohio Stadium host? There's also the issue of football season ticket holders who would be relocated or displaced.

From a soccer standpoint, the only effect i'd really be interested in is if they take out too many rows. How would that affect sightlines should the ball be near the person in the stands?

Paul Brown Stadium is awful in this regard. If the ball is close to the viewer, the huge walls make the action invisible. If you're sitting high in the lower bowl, and the ball is close to you, you can't see it.

They probably couldn't just throw grass trays down on top of the fake stuff and keep everything as-is. (I'm looking at those concrete areas on the side of the field.)
    [​IMG]

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could always do what the City of Dallas did with the Cotton Bowl for the 1994 World Cup. They took out the permanent seating in the corners and replaced them with removable seating. The seats would be put back in for the Texas-Oklahoma game, but taken out for any soccer games and the New Year's Day Cotton Bowl game.

With the corner seats out:
    [​IMG]

With them in:
    [​IMG]

4. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest problem that Columbus is the airport. Without it being a hub for any airlines, it will not be a World Cup venue.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if Columbus' civic leaders send enough cash and barely-legal hookers to BA's boys over at the Fed and FIFA, it won't matter if Columbus even has an airport.

6. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the only reason we're even on the list is to show euroland how many huge ass (nondecrepitbrazilstyle) stadiums we have.

Buuuuut if we wanted some expensive way to get a game i'd say just set up a platform over the yellow area...
    [​IMG]

Granted there is fact that this would be rather expensive, be very unreasonable, and with some of the stadiums poor sight lines, unglamorous nature of the city and the small airport would be totally moot. But still, it's cool to dream.

7. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Once BA's boys in Zurich and Port of Spain get involved all these concerns will fall by the wayside.

8. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other issue the locker rooms. FIFA obviously likes both teams to enter the field side-by-side. Unless the locker rooms can be split into two smaller ones, entering side-by-side would be a bit tough.

9. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

A legitimate case can be made for Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium as a potential World Cup host. The necessary infrastructure (thinking hotels, roads, convention center) will exist as a result of 2012 Super Bowl preparation. The city has hosted plenty of large, international crowds (see Indy 500, the old US Grand Prix). LOS is located within downtown Indy and is within walking distance of hotels, restaurants, and other things to do. I'm too lazy to find the source, but I've read that more than half of the country's population is within a days drive of Indianapolis.

I can only think of a couple drawbacks to Indianapolis as a host city. The first being that it seems to be considered more of a second tier city when compared to other likely host cities (Dallas, NY, Chicago, LA). The other being that there have been very few soccer events to gauge how the city would treat a World Cup game. To be seriously considered, we would need to prove we can successfully host soccer events at LOS. A couple events such as international friendlies or international club tours would help the perception of Indianapolis as something of a soccer city.

Admit it, you've always wanted an excuse to drive three hours west (assuming you haven't come for the Indy 500 or NCAA Final Four) and stop for more than just a bathroom break.

10. Wearethecrew1

Wearethecrew1 Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Athens/Westerville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly there is only one venue that could pull off the world cup in style

[​IMG]

Fieldturf here we come!:cool:

11. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Have they renovated or is this picture from way before my time?

12. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a nice looking stadium. One of the big problems you're probably going to have is Indy's proximity to Chicago (who everyone knows would get games). Not that FIFA cares, mind you, but USSF probably will.

13. negativetouch

negativetouch Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah but last time they played in Chicago and in Detroit at the Silverdome right? If anything I'd think they'd want another midwestern city to pair with Chicago since I doubt Detroit is seriously in the running this go round.

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ford Field would be a great venue for the World Cup. It would be an extremely attractive destination for all the Toronto area soccer fans, so while Detroit might not be the most economically healthy city these days, they shouldn't have any problem moving the tickets to people in MI, IN, OH, ON, etc.

Considering how many complaints there were in 1994 about the summer heat during all those hot daytime games, indoor venues like Lucas Oil Stadium and Ford Field should get some serious consideration as World Cup venues.

That said, there's no way both Ford Field and Lucas Oil Stadium get selected.

15. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The list has some funny names on it.

Neyland Stadium is an interesting idea, but if Cleveland doesn't have enough hotel rooms, how can Knoxville? For that matter, how can Birmingham (Legion Field)? World Cup fans don't live in RVs parked in a pasture for the week of the game like SEC football fans do.

I'd love to see the Superdome included. Just to have another excuse to go to New Orleans.

16. Granted

Granted Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Ohio
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a little excited when I saw the Ralph on the first list, but it of course isn't on the second one.

Any games in Ohio would be great.

17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not saying that there won't be a second mid-west city. It's just that Chicago and Indy are, what, 3 hours apart? That would be like Columbus and Cleveland both hosting. Again, I don't think Fifa cares as long as they have good venues that will make money.

I think Detroit will have a shot at it again. I think Cleveland will have good shot.

But you know that NY, Chicago, LA, and Boston are going on the short short list no matter what. Plus, I'd almost guarantee that Phoenix would be picked if it was within 4-5 years, but who knows what other new stadiums will be built in the next 8-12 years.

18. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Just my two cents (again) - I can't help but think the monstrosity the Cowboys have built won't get some play.

19. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides NY, Chicago, LA, and Boston being locks, I'd say the new stadium down in Dallas is a lock too. Probably FedEx Field outside of DC too. The Dallas Stadium looks like it will be world-class, and FedEx Field is new enough, accessible to the large east coast population, and also huge.

Honestly, there's about 30 places competing for the remaining 4-6 spots.

You have to think someplace in Florida is definitely going to get picked. Florida is a very popular tourist destination for international visitors, and they've certainly got enough population down there to support World Cup games. A second west coast venue besides LA seems like a very good selection too. Could be Seattle or a second place in California, but something else out west seems like a safe bet.

That leaves everybody else competing for 2-4 spots. Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus will be competing against the likes of Philly, Denver, Houston, Phoenix, and various other cities around the country.

Are they going to build a new stadium for the 49ers out in San Fran? If so, that could be a winner. I know places like San Diego, Minneapolis, and Las Vegas are also looking to build new stadiums. If any of those stadiums actually get built, they would certainly be extremely strong contenders for a World Cup spot.

20. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Sepp Blatter once said that after whatever year (either 2010 or 2014), the World Cup would stop being rotated amongst the continents, right?

If North America gets it in 2018, it would be almost an F U to Sepp.

I like this.

21. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

England has already paid their bribe to Warner - 2018 is theirs.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I originally thought about dallas then forgot. But yes, partially retractable dome in a huge metroplex that is at least moderately a tour destination.

I don't know about Florida honestly. Playing in the heat and humidity of Florida in July? Same reason Houston probably doesn't make it. Only choices are Miami or Jacksonville. And while Miami is a tourist destination, do you really want to play games in the heat and humidity of July in Miami?

I certainly think one or two more west coast places will be picked besides LA. So that makes 5 (orig 4 + dallas), plus probably 2 mores pacific time zone locals (I'm throwing Phoenix in this pot, along with San Diego, San Fran, and Seattle) So that makes 7. There's what, 8 groups? So your probably talking 1-3 more places.

You're probably also right that D.C. is a near shoe in. That is, of course, if the Redskins stadium is international soccer capable.

You've probably then got (realistically) Detroit, Indy, Cleveland, St. Louis, Denver, Philly, and Mineapolis as most likely locales.

23. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Chelsea FC play there a few years ago?

24. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston is a retractable roof stadium. I don't think the heat would be a problem for play.

25. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so. I seem to remember someone near the camera screaming "Jose Mourinho is a wanker!"