Oh. No.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Noah Dahl, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Yes, I like how DeRo "learned" : He came straight into center midfield and played straight-up phukkin' amazing. And he's been solid to terrific ever since, and scored two late game-WINNERS.

Let's hope it's the organization that's learned.

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a helluva game at left half last year against the Quakes in the Canada friendly. It's nice to see him doing so well in the middle this year.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...actually 3 if you count the ridiculous offside call against Chivas USA. That's pretty impressive. Three late game-winning goals in, what, 10-12 games as a-mid starter?

4. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I wasn't able to watch any of the Canada Gold Cup matches, did anyone see DeRo play? From the stats and matchtracker, it sure looked like he was one of the few Canada players doing much.....he was playing midfield this year as well.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If I played favorites, DeRo would be mine. Remember a thread a year or so ago when people were debating whether or not the team really needed him? Ridiculous. Though we have some great players on the team, I always find myself keeping an eye on him because I he's fun to watch as well as a sparkplug. I don't think I've ever seen him looking tired or out of sorts or knocked down for long. Plus he hangs out with the fans even when it's not his turn to go to the Alley.

He may not start today, but I am fully expecting that sometime around the 70th minute, when our starters are out of gas, he'll come out and start tearing up the pitch.

6. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    US was up 1-0 on an own goal. DeRo got free down the right, whipped a great cross in that one of two Canucks should have finished. Back post man was right on it - banked harmlessly off his shin. I'm not kidding.

Saw a similar "Low-light" from the Cuba game, but near post.

DeRo for the U-S-A. I think it's worth another half-arsed invasion/annexation attempt on our part.

7. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    In Canada/Costa Rica, he had a bunch of touches but collectively their team was crap. The only memorable chance Canada had was a shot DeRo took from roughly the edge of the box with only the keeper to beat, but he shanked it. It's hard to place any blame for Canada's performance on DeRo, though.

Against USA, NoahDahl nailed it. Hell, Pwamme was pretty much the only Canadian player I noticed other than Occean. He had the ball a bunch, made some nice runs, and set his teammates up for opportunities they gagged. A couple of his runs looked like the "typical" old DeRo long runs, where he burned a few guys but then lost the ball in traffic. The Spanish announcers even commented on that. But when you watch the replays of those runs, both times it was actually good plays by the USA to catch up and get in DeRo's way. He was good in that match.

Didn't see Canada/Cuba.

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Ain't his week, is it?

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Oh, well. At least he started (and did alright), which was the initial point of this thread, right?

10. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    How did you think he played? Seems like several people thought he didn't do that well.......maybe I was just drawn to watch him because he was at least hustling out there in the first half when nobody else seemed to be, but it seemed to me that he did pretty well. Definitely tapered off in the second half, but that was also because there was nobody else to pass the ball to.

But maybe I'm giving him too much credit.....and he only looked good in comparison to the rest of the team which didn't look good at all....

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He didn't play well but he didn't play badly. Clearly he wasn't feeling that hot, and yet he kept going. He's a trouper--but hard to get much done if the rest of the ensemble doesn't quite show up.

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    He was our only hope, and he lost he lost his duel with the black and red and there was no skywalker. and and and Mullen and his wookie Gray never got the Falcon off the ground.

But yeah I was really psyched he started. He was not short on competitive fire.

13. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    "Many followers of Major League Soccer's past few weeks might have predicted a 3-0 scoreline in the second matchup of the season between the streaking San Jose Earthquakes and slumping MLS Cup holder D.C. United. But few would likely have picked the correct victor."

That would include me (post #21).

Damn.