Oh. No.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Noah Dahl, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    From MLSnet:

"After Canada were eliminated following the group stage in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, midfielder Dwayne DeRosario will join the Quakes for the United match. However, Kinnear isn't expected to make any changes to his team for the United, with the exception of Danny Califf returning to central defense from suspension."

Oh no.

Oh no.

...Where's that primal scream thread?...

2. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's so upsetting? Dwayne just played three matches for Canada in the span of about one and one-half weeks. I'd rather see him rest and come in as a sub than watch him play lethargic, tired football.

3. i_heart_the_quakes

i_heart_the_quakes New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Home at last!
    What Via Chicago said... But if he doesn't start against the cRapids, then I think there might be something to get up in arms about.

4. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Amen.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throughout the Frank/Dom Era, when the team wins they don't change the starting lineup for the next match (excepting for injuries and suspensions).

Personally, I'd like to see DeRo get the start and then bring on DFO maybe at the half. (I'm assuming that DeRo will be a tired.) But I still think that a Clark and DFO central pair can be a good thing. It will look a bit like the Ritchie and Ronnie show, except with younger faster players. DeRo on at the half or maybe 70th minute if we're ahead.

I still expect an exciting match with our guys slagging their guys!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

6. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I assumed this would be the justification, not fatigue.

Don't understand the injury/suspension exception that opens a place for Califf.

What did Califf do in his last outing - besides give up a goal and get thrown out in the first 35 minutes?

I am still concerned because I don't think this club values DeRo like they should. Nobody had a sit-down with Dwayne to keep him at the club, ala Mulrooney. Lalas publically trashed DeRo - which I'd guess reflected a prevailing opinion among the managers. And it seemed like DeRo had to force his way into playing time. In post-game interviews and such he is still not given the credit he deserves.

I said before that Dom would find a way to bench him again (though that was when I thought we'd have both Mullen and Ching back.) Maybe I'm jumping the gun, maybe not.

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to get the inside story. Seems to me he's a great guy (with the fans/kids, at least), a very good and improving player, and versatile as well.

What's he like "in the locker room"?

8. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post :)

9. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Other than re-inserting Danny Califf, Dom will not change the starting line-up from the previous game. Methinks that DeRo will be one of the first players off the bench. I have no problem with that.

Did anyone else notice that in the last FSBA game broadcast (SJ@Clb) that Brian's name was spelled "Mullen" in the starting line-up graphic? Unfortunately for Brian, it seems to be a common mistake.

10. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did notice that when I saw the starting lineup they did..

it's definitely "MullAn" on the back of his jersey

11. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I remembering incorrectly, or wasn't his name mispelled in the first game he ever played for us.... I know there was someone, but I can't remember exactly who....

12. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you mean misspelled on his jersey or on a lineup graphic?

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I hope if DeRo doesn't start it's strictly due to the fatigue factor, and I think it probably is. I don't like that "don't change lineup if you win" superstition. It's silly. What if a guy just clearly sucked but the team won anyway due to blind luck? DeRo was out on national team duty. And they won the last game he played, didn't they? And he scored the game-winning goal, right? (Or did he play in Dallas, don't remember.)

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On his jersey

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Tell me about it. My last name is very similar, ending in "en." Frequently, when other people spell it, they often use "an" or "in." Additionally, because I have the "Mc" prefix, 50% of the time I get people pronouncing, or worse spelling, it "Mac."

But if Mullan's like me, he's used to it and just rolls with it. For the most part, I stopped correcting people when I was 8 or something like that.

16. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mistake is unacceptable for the professionals who produce those games. The managers will only allow so many of those in a year.

17. QuakePaola

QuakePaola New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    San Francisco
    Jeez, you really know how to scare people. We are jumpy around here. I thought 'The day of reckoning' had arrived! phew>

18. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto!

19. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, my heart skipped a few beats there!

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lalas is gone. Don't worry...

DeRo will be starting against the Rapids. Do you really think O'Rourke has taken his place? You really need to look for another comspercy (sp?) theory.

Funny, how the trades for Califf and Clark aren't looking so bad?

21. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I would think (hope) after the way he has learned and played the midfield this year, the organization would greatly value him.

My hopeful scenario? Dom believes DeRo needs a rest. After 60 minutes of 0 - 0 tie, DeRo comes off the bench and blasts one in! This fires Chung up and he blasts one in. DeRo puts in the last one in stoppage time.

22. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I dun told yas!

23. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    See, the thing is that Pwamme is flying in right before the game, and he has to be careful about what he carries on the plane, what with heightened security and whatnot, so he's depending on me to get him his popeye spinach, and since I'm a little dry right now, he has to wait until I hook up with my guy on the way to the game.

That's why he's not starting.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew CCR would have the KEY. ;)

25. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If DC can bring the kind of pressure to the midfield they did in the last match DFO could become a problem. If he gives anouther week back pass in a crowded midfield the back 4 may not be able to cover for him. If DeRo needs a rest bring him on to start the second half.