Kenny Saief at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Apr 5, 2014.

1. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't think he has the foot speed or mentality for LB. An outside MF at best. If we go 442 maybe but, 4231, I am not so sure. Would rather see Weah or Amon out there.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he doesnt have the speed for LB he doesnt have it for Left Mid, either.

3. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    As mentioned in other threads involving YA's in Belgium, most of the major Belgian clubs were raided by the police today, RSC included. There are a number of charges being leveled against various personnel, the most egregious being match fixing.

Anderlecht's former director Herman Van Holsbeeck was detained and interrogated, and is apparently considered a suspect in all of this. It's worth noting that he stepped down this March after the club was sold to Marc Coucke, but I think (and I'm really really not sure of this) that Van Holsbeeck brought in Vanhaezebrouck, who brought in Kenny. It's also worth noting that Vanhaezebrouck's (and Kenny's) former club Gent was also raided by police (apparently while they were finalizing the contract of their new manager lol).

I'd guess that the fallout of this will take months of untangle, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

4. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It's hard to put all of this together... as far as I can tell, lots of focus is being put on player agents. Kenny's agent David 'Dudu' Dahan isn't directly named in any of the major reports about this, but Mogi Bayat is at the center of it all, and it kinda appears that Mogi and Dudu have worked on deals in the past:
    1026404679213830146 is not a valid tweet id

I'm guessing that this is just a case of "we've worked together before" and not "we are actively in business together", but who knows. The fallout from all of this is going to be a major distraction for the players.

If, for some weird reason, Vanhaezebrouck is forced out, I hope Kenny impresses the next manager. He really struggled to earn minutes after Vanhaezebrouck was fired from Gent last year.

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and neems repped this.
  5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the big question, especially with the match fixing accusations, is how this impacted playing time and player selection. Did Bayat's players have an edge on regular playing time?

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  6. zlebmada

zlebmada Member

United States
    Jan 16, 2018
    #781 zlebmada, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Saief was arguably worse than Antonee Robinson defending against Colombia:

There are a bunch of videos in that thread. I know he's coming back from injury and all that, but honestly in three appearances for the US he hasn't been threatening going forward at all (too slow to beat int'l fullbacks), and the thread linked above shows that he was a severe defensive liability against Colombia, due to a lack of concentration, effort, athleticism, and whatever.

I'm not impressed.

TarHeels17 and Patrick167 repped this.
  7. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    mean take: Saief isn't good enough

passive-aggressive mean take: Kenny Saief is a player who cannot thrive without the coaching of Hein Vanhaezebrouck

overly-nice take: Kenny is coming back from injury, has barely started this season, and isn't tasked with defending that much for his club. We did not look substantially more defensively stable after Saief left the pitch.

reasonable take: This is a player who has played just 3 games in a US system of any kind. His defending was bad, but it's unreasonable to expect him to instantly click with this team on both offense and defense because he's not JJ or Fabian Johnson talented. He's now left multiple camps early with an injury, meaning he hasn't had time to gel with his new teammates either in training or in matches. However, it should be noted that since leaving Israel in 2014, he's failed to truly thrive under a manager that isn't Hein Vanhaezebrouck... he needs to prove that he's capable of playing well in new and different environments to be a truly successful player for club and country, and so far he isn't doing that.

dumb take: the USMNT should switch to 3 at the back because that's what Saief's natural position is also its what Pep does now.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him more of an attacking player than a defensive player in our system.

9. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He is more of an attacking player, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be tasked with defending. I think the twitter thread was overly harsh, but it's not entirely wrong.

What is entirely incorrect is the portion of the fanbase that assumes he should be a superb defender because he's frequently described as a "wingback"... that's not his role even if it is sometimes his position. I'd love to see him Julian Green's position / role in that 4-4-1-1, I think he'd be better utilized there.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've seen Saief do more defensive work when he was fit. Against Colombia he was only half fit, so not running enough.

Otherwise, that I consider him, who's nothing extraordinary as a player, as a candidate for winger with the NT, is only because of the lack of talent in that position we have, all over the pool.

Maybe we'll be stuck using the fullbacks to provide width again, like Klinsi used to do. Our best player is the only one who can play wing decently, but he may be wasted as a pure winger.

11. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    TBF, there are other possible reasons 3 in the back for the USMNT might be a good option, including our better-than-typical depth there, our lack of depth at the attacking wing spots, and our LB problems. Even then, I wouldn't exactly pen Saief as first choice over Johnson and Robinson at the left wing spot.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite sure what the opposition is going for here, but Kenny's tail light is mauve...

Winoman and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  13. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    what did i just watch?

Winoman repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kenny's foray into French pop culture.

Next, put him in the Smokey Bear role: "seul le Saief peut prévenir les feux de forêt!"

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Subbed on in the 68', after all 6(!) goals were scored. Anderlecht won 4-2.

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    All goals scored before Kenny came in, too.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Goes the distance in a 2-2 draw. He was lively according to match reports, won 4 free kicks, had a key pass (resulting shot was saved), and took a few shots on target himself. Ended the match with a 7.2 WhoScored rating.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A tie at home vs. Fenerbahce is not a good result though. They needed the win. Anderlecht already lost away to Trnava, and at home to the best team in the group, Zagreb.

With this result, they're stuck last in their group with one point and no chance to move on.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Went the distance in a 1-1 draw. This article says that, "... the American international showed no added value at any time... Saief suffered multiple turn-overs, was sloppy in his passing and could barely threaten," and then rounds up a few frustrated fan tweets.

I don't think he was a standout last season, but, IIRC, he was playing well enough to become a fan favorite. So... I guess his recovery from injury isn't going well.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the bench, did not play in Anderlecht's 2-0 away loss to Fenerbahce, which eliminates them from the Europa League.

Tom Collingsworth and edcrocker repped this.