News: Oh dear. Stimulus checks non-citizens (and dead people)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by shooter6065, May 15, 2009.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The article says:
    So less than 0.02% of the checks were accidentally sent to dead people because of a rather dumb clerical foul up. At $250 a check, that's a total of about 25 million (which matches a report I read about this elsewhere). The total stimulus package was $787 billion. So $25 million out of $787 billion is 0.00032%.

0.00032% <--- Not a big number.

I'm supposed to get hugely upset about this? No. It was a dumb clerical error. Nothing more.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's 2 AM. Do you have anything else better to do? Hoping for a stadium does not count.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What should be done is raise taxes to fund getting all of these things in order. But I'm sure the republicans will howl about this and slink away like snakes in the grass.

Now if you think this post was absurd, I'll gladly agree because the one above is just as stupid.

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago politics finding a home along the banks of the Potomac....

[​IMG]

Mayor Daley, Acorn, MoveOn.Org, and now apparently Obama's Social Security Administration.. the politics of the deceased; hardly a clerical issue but a demonstrated waste of taxpayer funds... Where is the promised transparency? Where is the Stimulus oversight?

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Obama ordered the Social Security Administration to send $250 checks to dead people so they could vote for him. Got it.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this grasp of the finer points of cognitive dissonence, you too could be a GOP operative!

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The P&CE board is going to be overrun with cute little kitty-cats I can see.

9. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Mailing checks to dead people isn't a big problem.... if the checks get cashed it is a problem. ;)

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Exactly.

For most people who lose a loved one, the first reaction is usually not, "I HAVE to let social security know that they shouldn't send out another check!"

It's as if this thread is meant to imply that this never happened pre-Obama.

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't all social security checks done by direct deposit now?

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Social Security has rules stating that it will deduct funds from an account for the months following your death month.
    The funeral parlors in Va take care of notifying the Social Security Administration, or they did for my girlfriend's dad when he died in January, seemed like standard practice. So that problem is somone else's fault, not "Obama'a Social Security Office".

And I agree, sending checks to dead people is not a problem at all .... until they get cashed. Or if someone lets more than one deposit go into a deceased person's account without notifyng the bank or SSA.

Besides, once those funds are replaced - we've made $25 million off the stimulus already! ;) More money for Pentagon hammers and toilets!

13. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sure. Lets raise taxes. But only on those who make the Messiah's Magical $250k per year.

And of course cutting spending is never an option.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    [​IMG]

Good, cleansheetbsc?

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    meh. Sort of an ugly kitty. I need more CUTE kitty or the Hannity wanna-be's will continue with their fire and brimstone on this board.

16. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    Man, I don't know how President Obama had all that time to make out each individual check, let alone make them out for a large group of dead people.

You know, if conservatives didn't blame Obama for things that he's not in direct control of, maybe moderates and liberals might be a little more receptive to actual concerns of the right. Maybe.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What is mind boggling is this Romolo Romonini was never even in the Social Security system.

18. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Snake in the grass here, and I'm saying you're deeply stupid.

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

20. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    You want a snake in the grass? Go here!

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Jesus Christ! The incompetence! How could Obama not know that Romolo Romonini was not even in the social security system? Even I knew that Romolo Romonini was not in the social security system. Hell, I even knew that Romolo was dead. I bet if John McCain were president, He would have caught this egregious error just before he signed the check and licked the envelope. . . . . or perhaps he would have had Palin licking the envelopes in which case all bets would be off.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just here to point out the incorrect thread title - the OP has nothing on "non-citizens." I, of course, know many non-citizens who work here legally and pay taxes. Many have used the money and seem to have a better undertanding of the situation - stimulus means spending. So most of them have spent it in the US! Actually, thinking about the global problem, I can't name one who did not spend the money...

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-issue thread unless the retard trolls who post here have proof Obama directed this.

Which he didn't.

So go get ebola and die in a fire troll asshole ********faces.

24. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I haven't read anything in this thread, but I am reminded of FEMA, Katrina, and GWB.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Not sure why you would be. This is about a statistically insignificant number of checks going out (not cashed) pointing out nothing more than the need to tighten controls at a very low level of government.

Katrina was a ********ing biblical-ass storm that we all saw bearing down on our most vulnerable city. Listen, I am the first to say that there were failures at the local and state levels and I by no means blame bush for the storm or much of went wrong.

Where his presidency effectively ended was after the storm passed and it was obvious that there was a tremendous failure to act and this country NEEDED good, competent leadership. It wasn't there.

So, yea, I can see why a couple of checks cut by mistake would remind you of a failure or a president to lead in the most serious crisis since 9/11. ;)