Oguchi Onyewu has retired from professional soccer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Sep 17, 2018.

1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was also named best foreign player in Belgium twice. That night in DC against Costa Rica (and later than night with Charlie Davies) is always going to be our what if moment. two starters in key positions went down. I tip my hat to Gooch for his contributions,

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the US coaching hierarchy will find a good place for someone who can help turn big, strong athletes who play soccer into big strong soccer players.

Gooch for USMNT manager!!!

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't we already qualified before that game?

CMeszt repped this.
  4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Abe Thompson is #13, with his arm around Donovan.

I can't figure out who the player on Gooch's back is. Not red-headed, so not Cutler. Not Cila. It might be Seth Trembly. Dunno.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. That was the final qualifier, the one against Costa Rica that ended in a draw when Bornstein headed in a late equalizer. Charlie Davies had his accident just before the game.

onefineesq repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm quite impressed how he bossed the Portuguese league. Went there and was a relative success. Back when the league was like 5th with France being 6th

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On a different note, he joined Tim Howard in doing Champions League commentary on TNT. I thought he was decent. Maybe that's where his next career move will be.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who knows, is a ruptured patella usually an injury that leads to this type of career dereailment? Did he specifically have complications from healing that led to problems with rehab? From his public persona, one would not imagine that he slacked in any way during the rehab process. I know that a severe knee injury certainly has the potential to derail careers, but this one seemed to be particularly detrimental to his career. With modern therapy and rehab techniques, it seemed like it affected him more than it should have, but that is why I'm asking those who might know more than me.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retired? Retired? He had his moments, but he wasn't on the radar for a long time. Just shows how fleeting a pro career can be...

I always appreciated his effort and reading the game, but he was a liability on the ground and his passing out of the back. Well, he fit in with majority of our center backs in that respect.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on a good career, Oguchi, and on being such a key starter for us from 2005 - 2009. Onyewu was a beast physically and a good defender, and an automatic selection in our starting XI when he was healthy.

In many ways, Onyewu was your classical CB from the era in which he played -- it's interesting to look at that through the lens of how the modern game has evolved during the past 10 years, with more emphasis these days on mobile CBs and guys who can pass well out of the back.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can you give some examples of those "mobile CBs"?

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Beasley, Beckerman, Thompson (behind LD), Donovan, Gooch & Convey on his back. This must be from 2-1 win over the Kiwis, they had been trailing 1-0 until Thompson came in around the hour mark, and scored one. A bit after Donovan scored another and turned the game. This is that one, Beasley assisted it I think. Also, I remember Gooch got a red card near the end of the game (the Kiwis got one a few minutes before Thompson came in).

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Among American center backs recently, Matt Besler, Geoff Cameron, John Brooks, Ike Opara and Tim Parker are/were all more mobile than Onyewu was.

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard Gooch call the Wake-Virginia ACC semifinal. Did a good job. Charlie Davies on the call for the second semi between Clemson and Pitt currently airing on ACC Network.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch had injuries later in his career but when with the U17's at Dallas Cup he was playing right back (Nelson Akwari and Alex Yi were the centerbacks) and marauding up the side. He was so aggressive I wondered if he could stay out of foul trouble long enough to have a career. He answered with a loud yes. We could use his toughness. I hope the players start bringing that back as they get older and hopefully stronger.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's one of the few U17 guys who made it to the NT right?

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That particular U17 group was a golden generation. Donovan, Beasley, Onyewu, Beckerman, Convey all had callups to the full team. Lots of others became pros but didn't get callups - Akwari, Yi, Thompson.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I seem to recall reading something that mentioned Yi was the first Asian-American in the youth team or maybe MLS or something.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Chung was an MLSer. If you do some research he might have been a U17.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That was the guy. My bad!

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very cool

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    GOOCH.

23. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gooch and Beaz have an absolutely phenomenal podcast: https://thecrackpodcast.com/

They have amazing interviews; Cameron, Little Aaronson, The Reggie Cannon one is amazing, etc. They are very candid with their opinions, had really insightful commentary about BLM, etc and they are definitely not partisan towards the USSF good ol' boy network and they absolutely love this youth renaissance we are having and are very insightful about what it is like to go to Europe.

So, yeah... I like this podcast a little bit, the end.

schrutebuck, Hobo, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh what might have been, do folks believe a healthy Gooch could have seen some PT during that 09-10 season for Milan?