Offsides

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Heist, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a question for referees...
    Player A is in an offsides position but well out of the play. Player B kicks a pass to some other player but it hits a defender and bounces toward player A who was in an offsides position. The ball was clearly intended to go way across the field to someone else but has bounced to player A. Is he offsides even though he was attempting to stay out of the play. It seems like all that doesn't matter and its just an unfair unfortunate bounce for players A and B.

Can anyone confirm this is the correct call?
    Thanks!

2. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Player A would still be judged offside (no 's') as the ball was last played by his teammate. A deflection off the opponent does not constitute a play and thus does not factor into the decision. It is unfortunate but still fair as both teams are subject to the same law, and perhaps Player B will be quicker to get into an onside position next time.

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key is that Player A is offside when the ball is played by teammate player B. If he had continued to stay out of the play, he should not be called for offside. It sounds like he tried to take advantage of a deflection off the opponent. If that was the case, then he should be called for offside.

4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the help. A play almost like this happened in the Middlesboro game this morning and a friend and I were trying to sort it out.

Yes, I didn't mean unfair that the rule would favor one team over the other. It would just have been an unfortunate play since the player was attempting to stay out of the play and through no fault of his own would have become part of the play.

5. pensmom4

pensmom4 New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Exactly. Those are the chances you take when you are in an offside position.

6. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    The player could have always squeeled like a girl and ran away from the ball with his hands in the air... :)

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i had a similar play a few weeks ago. what is a deflection?

it is easy if the ball plays the defender and bounces off of him/her. but what if the defender is in the middle of an actual kicking motion on a ball rolling to his/her foot, but ends up shanking directly to the offensive player in the offside position?

any tidbits for distinguishing between new play and deflection????

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    There have been a few discussions here on that one before. Our instructor at recert this year basically said the defender must initiate the initial direction of the ball in order for it to be "played" by a defender (i.e.-pass in a direction with his foot). Everything else is a deflection. Still confusing I know :).

9. refmike

refmike New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Cal North
    Actually, that sounds like a pretty good description of a play not being a deflection.

Another point I make in training classes is that a player in an offside position cannot participate in a play initiated by a teammate. That avoids the question of whether or not the ball was intended for them. It is their participation, not the teammate's pass, that is illegal.

10. kicker1

kicker1 Member

Jan 31, 2004
    St. Louis
    Come on, boys and girls:
    this is VERY simple....
    Player A is in an offside position, at the instant his teammate (B) kicks the ball...defender does NOT gain possession, just deflects the ball to A...
    Decision: A is offside because (in the opinion of the referee) he gained an advantage by being in the offside position. Very basic. Very simple.
    Read Law 11.

11. david58

david58 New Member

Aug 29, 2003
    Oregon
    Whattabout this?

New scenario:

Saw this at a hs final last Saturday.

Defender gathers ball, and kicks it to clear. Miscalculates, and the ball hits the leg of attacker A who has his back turned and is unaware the ball is coming (at least unaware it is going to strike him). The ball goes to attacker B who is in offside position, who then puts the ball into the back of the net.

Goooooal? Or offside?

12. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Whattabout this?

I'll try this one... I am no ref, just to be clear.

I'd say its a goal.

While the defender has control, the players on the opposing team cannot be offside, because they don't have possesion.
    Since the impetus of the ball landing at the feet of attacker B was initiated by the defender (attacker A made no play on the ball), there never was offside, so attacker B is free to do what he wishes with the ball.

Right?

Lee

13. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all

Close... While the ball deflecting off a defender does not reset offside for the attackers, the ball deflecting off an attacker is different.

Law 11 says that the ball must only be "touched OR played" by an attacker, whereas a defender must PLAY the ball. Therefore because the ball did touch an attacker and then go to an offside teammate, the goal would not count.

14. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They should change the law then.

:D

Lee