Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JMMUSA8, Nov 6, 2004.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean Columbus.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    right, thanks.

3. idiot wind

idiot wind Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Thanks Swedcrip34, useful info. Picking 9th seems harsh, but so it goes. It's also enlightening to see how many picks in the first two rounds failed to pan out. A reserve system is sorely needed (but likely impractical).

4. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Somethings to bear in mind, but all MLS rosters will be frozen on Tuesday, November 16th for purposes of the Expansion Draft on Friday, November 19th at 4:00PM EST. Teams will be able to execute trades on Monday the 15th, and will need to submit their list of protected players to the league on Wednesday, November 17th.

It's also thought that the League will announce new changes for 2005 (salary cap, expanded rosters, Addias deal) this Friday.

FYI,

The Magpie

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    The 2005 Super Draft will (and I believe it has for the last 2 years or so) coincide with the NSCAA National Convention. This year it is in Baltimore and will be Jan. 12-16, 2005. The Draft right now is scheduled for Friday, Jan 14th starting at noon.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a statement by the Fire GM a few months ago that suggested that the league would be instituting a reserve system this year. This would coinside with a significant expansion of the number of DV Roster slots (4 for a total of 10). The reserve teams would be playing each other (and PDL and A-League Teams???). It will be iteresting to see if this comes about. Obviously the major thing holding it back has been money but with some of the teams starting to turn "green" and the infusion of significant capital into the league from various sources it may just be the time to institute this critical aspect of team depth.

One thing that needs to be changed if this system is going to work is the pay structure for players on the DV Roster. When a player is only payed what amounts to lunch money it will severely limit teams ability to sign players with a real up side. There will always be those who would almost pay the team to get to play but the raw young talent that will really fual the system growth may just look elsewhere if all their offered is what is currently the reported pay for DV player.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it does go on at the NSCAA convo, I highly recommend that anyone who can get out to the draft do so. It was a great time in KC a couple years back.

It's fun to get to see the GMs and coaches huddling trying to make deals happen, even if they fall through, and generally they have interviews and other informative stuff going on throughout with the coaches of the players who are on the draft list and with draftees etc.

re: Mags post up there,

One of the other rumoured changes for next season is a reserve program. If that happens, then all bets are off, but I'd give the nod to DC and Metros who already have something of a system in place. Chicago's relationship with the "Fire Reserves" is basically in name only, as can be seen from the fact that most of those FR players who have been in the draft have been snapped up by LA of all teams.

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have to settle their GK position in a hurry. The Expansion Draft is right around the corner, and as of today, they're looking at leaving either Reis or Brown exposed.

I'm hoping that the Revs are working the phones looking for some kind of trade for one of them, because I'd hate lose either one to Real Salt Lake for nothing.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they only allowed to protect one goalkeeper? Assuming Brown is healthy enough to play, I would protect them both and leave someone else like Heaps or Franchino exposed. Maybe the word on Adin is that his health is up in the air, which could be enough to dissuade Real from picking him up. Then again, they could wind up with a damn good keeper if he can still play...

Tom

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Real Salt Lake will pick up a goalie in the expansion draft, and if they are it's going to be a backup (ala Doug Warren). I've heard rumors that they are looking at Kasey Keller, if he decides to come back to MLS.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller speaks Spanish so he could play for Los Goat-os

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I'll say this: Matt Reis is no Paul Keegan.

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, but I think he's about as close to Aidan Heaney as we've got on this team at the moment.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpie: Could you flesh this statement out with a bit more info. I don't remember the details of our last expansion draft (other than the insanity of exposing Francis) and there are new members who were not following the Revs during the last expansion. Some of this history has real lessons for those involved in making choices as to who to expose in the current draft.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I wouldn't think it would be much of a risk to leave Brown exposed. He'd be a MAJOR gamble for an expansion team to pick up (salary/health/desire to go to Europe). Personally, I'm very pessimistic about his future on the pitch- anywhere.

16. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that teams could only protech one goalkeeper, but I haven't been able to find anything on the web to back up that claim. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the case.

There are also rumors that Crystal Palace and Fulham are interested in Keller. If I'm RSL, I don't pass up a chance to get a quality MLS starter because I MIGHT have the chance to get Keller sometime in May or June.

Either way, the goalkeeping issues is something they're going to have to sort out, because after this season, both guys are gonna want a chance to start.

17. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    Sports Illustrated web site is saying MLS plans to start a reserve league based on the Adiddas deal. Also raises a question as to how that works with the Nike 40 effort.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/soccer/11/10/adidas.ap/index.html

18. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's a gamble, then why would we leave him unprotected rather than attempt to trade him now?

If there is any value to be taken, I think we should do it before he loses it, assuming that there is a possibility that he may lose value based on his health.

IMHO, he's already lost a considerable portion of his value to the franchise just based on the performance of Reis. I don't think Adin makes barrels of money, but I do think he makes more than Matt does, and I think we could get a very capable bench keeper out of the draft, even in the later rounds.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    There might have been a goalkeeper restriction back in the 1997 expansion draft.

Fairly sure there won't be one this time. There might be a restriction on how many goalkeepers SLC and Chivas can take.

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Because I don't think he has any trade value. If a team can't demonstrate that a player is healthy enough to take the field, who is going to make much of an offer? I suppose a team could offer a trade for conditional compensation, but how can you build your roster around a keeper with that huge "?". The fact remains that he missed most of the season after what appeared to be fairly routine "knock" - and no one can say when he definitely will be ready to play (or what happens after the next concussion). It's a very sad situation for Brown. Unfortunately, we've seen high-level football and hockey players have to retire prematurely because of similiar problems.

I don't think Brown is very highly paid, but I think he is in the neighborhood of $100K. In MLS, that's a pretty solid chunk of change to tie up on someone who may not contribute next season.

Brown can be left unprotected and he won't be picked up - it's too big a gamble for an expansion team that needs to maximize it's resources (primarily, cap room).

Reis, otoh, is a much more attractive candidate for an expansion team. He has proven durability and is a solid, if unspectacular keeper, has a main goal of being a starting MLS keeper and who is relatively cheap for by league standards.

I expect Brown to return to the Revolution, but possibly at a renegotiated (downward) salary. He doesn't have a lot of other options at this point.

21. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $125k, I believe. Pity we're not going to know whether or not his injuries are retirement-inducing before the draft. I would obviously be quite dismayed if he's to go (for draft or early retirement), but on the other hand, had he not been injured I don't doubt he'd be filling out EU visa paperwork right now.

22. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cumberland Co, ME
    Maybe he's as distraught as the rest of us over the election?