Offseason events

Discussion in 'Laclede's Army' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just thought I'd start a thread to tide us over until next March/April. Anyone interested in getting together until then? Twitter draft 'watch' parties? Random social events?

2. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely interested. I will try to make it to any get togethers I can.

I had planned to follow the expansion draft next week on my computer at home.

So we have our own forum!!!:D

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Next week? Dang, that's right, it's on Tuesday, isn't it? I keep losing track of real-world time here.... I guess that rules out me coming to an expansion draft Twitter watch party. Hmm.... I should consider reserving my dorm's conference room for the college draft time....

4. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be out for draft watching, as it's rec league season and I have a game Tuesday to coach.

Wed, October 14th, is the last WCQ match for the US mens team on ESPN2. I know I'm off that day, I dont' know if anyone would be willing to get together to watch that or not?

If nothing else, maybe Rok can pick a date in Oct or Nov for an Army meeting to go over ideas for next season, etc?

5. athletica117

athletica117 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert Penner tweeted this earlier today:

So no expansion draft parties, but maybe you could do a website watch party in the evening? lol.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about having a watch party sometime for a good USWNT game? The Athletica are well represented there.

Solo is a rock. It would've been great to see how she would've done against Germany's high powered attack. Frankly they look better than the USWNT now. Sorry for the digression.

7. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we could have something. I'm kind of in my own little world in the job searching and all so I haven't even seen when they play. We'll work on something. If it involves beer and soccer I don't see how you can count me out. ;)

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you'll probably find out on October 29. US vs. Germany in Augsburg, Germany. I would think with the US team being in a bit of a transitional mode and with the German team in top form, we will probably get roughed up a little in that match. Pia's trying a lot of new players to see what they've got.

But alas, It's 11 am our time on a Thursday, so I won't be attending any watch party on that one. I'll be working.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we have our own section here and only 1 other team does and that is not doing well can we say Laclede's Army is the best supporter's group out there?

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I would have suggested having an event/meeting around the US/Germany game on Oct 29th, but it's at 11 AM on a Thursday with no TV as of yet (I think). Don't know if the men's game appeals to anyone, but I would suggest an event/meeting around one of the World Cup qualifiers in October (tho TV seems to be in doubt for the game in Honduras).

I'll take this moment to let you all know that I am indeed in the St Louis region now and will take up with you all if I stick around.

11. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about staying in the area permanently? That would be cool and you wouldn't have to drive 1000 miles to see a game either.:D

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a commiserating, not happy, pity party...:(

Oh wait, maybe we better wait to see if they trade someone.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh come on, you know you were going to complain whoever we lost. :p

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not the one wishing for us to trade to get Hanks back.:p

It's sort of like I had braced myself to losing certain players and but then it turned out to be different players, so I had the added affect of being unhappy and being shocked as well. If you look at it, we're one of the few teams that lost a full-time starter (along with Washington and Lindsey, Boston and Weber, and Gold Pride and Robinson) and you could almost make the case that we lost two full time starters (can't tell if Larsson would have started full-time if she was healthy).

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah, touché.
    And Francielle for that matter. :rolleyes:
    Oddly I'm not as upset about losing Cinalli and Larsson. Maybe because I knew the draft was coming, while the mid-season trade kinda came out of nowhere.

Anyway, off-topic.

Hopefully the college draft will be later in the convention come January, i.e. Friday afternoon or on the weekend. And hopefully WPS will do something live, like Twitter. That way we could hopefully get together and 'watch' the draft as it unfolds, then continue speculating until preseason.
    ...okay, there was too much 'hope' in there. Too much left up to chance, probably not going to happen....

Bah, we need to come up with an excuse to get together. Even if the US(Men)-Honduras game is unavailable, we should meet up for the US-Costa Rica game. It would be more appropriate to watch the US(WNT)-Germany game, but as was mentioned, it's midweek during the day, which rules a party out for most of us.

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, let's try to meet at one of the following:

Saturday, October 10, 2009 (9 pm)-US at Honduras (Men's WC Qualifier)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 (7 pm)-US vs. Costa Rica (Men's WC Qualifier)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 (12 noon)-US at Germany (Women's Friendly)

The times are the game times, not necessarily the meeting times and I'm not sure the women's game is going to be televised.

The last one is bad for me, although if you held it downtown, I might be able to be there for about 30 minutes.

We can discuss ideas for next season, recruitment, new signs, and other news including (free agents, drafts, schedules). I'm hoping by then we will have more news than what we have now, which is absolutely nothing (outside of losing Cinalli and Larsson).

How about it madame president rokagrl, are we up for a meeting?

17. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oct 10th game so far will not be on TV. At least not outside of obscure PPV, FYI.

18. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urg... roka's brain went on hiatus for a while... Drat. My family is already taking my day/night of the 10th. I won't even be in STL or e-ville that night. The thursday would be good, but I'll see about Weds, but where at?

19. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm officially screwed for the 14th now. My youth league just posted an end of the season meeting for that evening at 6:30pm. Grrrr...........of course none of them watch soccer so of course they don't know the National team is playing... *Bangs head*

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Question and Idea:

Question: Apologies for not knowing my east side geography, but where's Glen Carbon in relation to Collinsville/Edwardsville?

Idea: Anyone up for going to see Illusion games? :)
    schedule here

-edit-
    Forget the question, I just took some of my own advice and looked it up on Wikipedia X-D

-edit2-
    okay, forget the idea, too, at least for now; I just went over to the Pro Indoor Soccer board and it seems the Illusion could be having some major financial personnel problems.... =-(

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  22. jstats

jstats Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Oakville, MO (south
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well....I know I'm a bit late here....but maybe the 19th of December of January 2nd would work. I have my last exam on the 17th but I'm not sure what time I'll be home on the 18th.

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that they are having an Athletica open house on Sunday, January 10 from 12-4 at Soccer Park. Note that it does cost $5.

http://womensprofessionalsoccer.bm2...m&delivery_id=bpjywdbyaegtqjpkuezsozluruodboo

Athletica Open House on Sunday, January 10th! $5 per ticket

• Noon to 4 PM at Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park
    • Player Appearances by Athletica Stars
    • Silent auction benefiting SPENSA (Lori Chalupny Autographed US National Team Jersey, Pink Puma game ball used in the Susan G. Komen for the Cure 2009 Game, game used All-Star Puma Ball and so much more)
    • Athletica Raffle / Stadium Style Snacks / Cash Bar
    • All proceeds will benefit SPENSA (Special Needs Soccer Association)
    • Open to the public - please RSVP by Thursday, January 7th to tickets@STL-WPS.com

24. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll put it in here:

Merry Hanakwanasolsticemas! to all the Army faithful.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LOL Epic win ^.^
    Thanks flamepruf! You too!
    It doesn't cost if you're a season ticket holder - as long as you RSVP to the e-mail they sent yesterday =-)