Offseason Action/Happenings

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Mookie141, Oct 7, 2010.

1. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Shopping and paying are two different things....:)

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Come on Gerry! I know you have a gift card somewhere!

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-season road (Rhodes) trip in the plans!

Mookie, you can drive!

4. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rhode as in Rhode Island?

5. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do have your Class D Int'l license?

6. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No. I don't have enough height to drive large vehicles. :(

7. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I guess this trip sorta confirms that travel out to the west coast to play FCGP wasn't a budget killer... ;)

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Or it may be that the ?Turkish FA? is paying for the trip? I can't believe that if a WPS club was to cover the expenses for a trip abroad that Turkey would be the first choice as its not exactly a hot bed of womens soccer activity.

This should be a nice experience for the players nonetheless.

11. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We got a partnership, that's what you need in the business world. We're also footing the bill not the league. We you got a good budget you can do extra shizz.

MagicJack/Freedom might go play in Dubai in the preseason.

12. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Holy Cramolie!! 9 days in Turkey? I guess their budget is better than most!!??

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the partnership is what made this trip. but I can still joke around, right ;)

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, you can. You know I just got to keep an eye open in case some haters are reading. :D

Strong partnerships and tight budgets make expenses less.

[​IMG]

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mookie, I told you there was a road trip in the works. When I first heard of it, my niece was rolling her eyes and I did not think it really was going to happen.

FYI, visa fees are $20 and can be paid when entering the country.

16. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :D Haha yeah you did! I never imagained it would be out of the States, so I would have been rolling my eyes alongside your neice. I thought they were going to Rhode Island or something. I hope a team stops by my way again b/c I missed SBFC when they came two years ago (HS softball game).

I hope everything goes well over there. It'll be nice to face some different teams from around the world. As a student I'd have to say that was a pretty creative move.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell your niece and the other SBFC players to be careful about what Turkish meds/drinks/etc they ingest while in country. Not that I'm slamming Turkish food b/c I'm not. It's great. But I'm not an elite athlete that has to triple check every item that goes into my body and pee in a cup.

Taurasi isn't the only women's bball player currently playing in Turkey to test positive for Modafinil and say she didn't take it (or rather didn't know she was taking it). There is some speculation in certain women's bball fan circles that perhaps Modafinil may now be in some Turkish nutritional supplement Turkish bball teams are giving their players or Turkish meds these players bought (and not on the label in either case).

Of course, all of these players could have taken Modafinil knowingly and are trying to cover their butts now that they've tested positive. Turkish teams are throwing a lot of money into women's bball right now and that can lead to dodgy business.

Regardless, I just thought I'd throw that out there so a certain someone can be extra careful...

18. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They're going as a TEAM from the States. It's far less likely to happen because they will be using their own staff.

As for Diana, I will say this Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Kelli White, and Marion Jones. :cool:

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yeah, I know they're going as a team. But that doesn't prevent a player from considering to purchase goods herself. Some teams pack everything they might need and others do not.

If it were just Taurasi, I'd definitely agree (and I still probably do agree). And it could be that Taylor and Horakova made a big deal about where their samples were going to be sent and who was handling them before they peed in the cup only to help Taurasi after the fact. But Taurasi is not the only player that's had samples test positive in Turkey this season for that same stimulant. That's why there may be wider questions.

And I just wanted a certain someone to be extra, extra, extra careful. Just in case. And bring your own cold meds ;)

20. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Individual tickets to the season openah against Those Who Shall Not Be Named are now up for sale!

http://sb1.glitnirticketing.com/sbticket/web/ev_list.php?refresh=1295889933

If you are able to make it and don't already have tickets please get them for those who can't go, and to catch and experience Orange Fever! Bring a friend (or friends), kids, cousins, parents, your boss, heck even grandma for some good family fun! And I hear a lovely Hawaiian lady who likes to sign autographs will be there as well along with some bright new faces of the SBFC family!

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  22. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  23. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  24. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know how you feel. My spine shivered a tad when I saw Tasha wearing that Philly jersey. If she hadn't make it look so well my stomach may have turned.

I know you and fellow Freedom fans have had a rough 6 months (or so). Yet you've stayed in the fight. It takes guts.