Offseason Action/Happenings

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Mookie141, Oct 7, 2010.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Gabarra has indicated to me in conversation that he's not much of a Carli fan.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interestante.

but then again, after too seasons he didn't seem to realize Long's speed of play/thought is too slow for WPS play (well, as a primary starter) even though her technical ability is top notch

I do think he's a hire that very well might be able to get/keep some talent there. It is my understanding that players generally like him.

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I just want him and the higher ups to lay down a good foundation to start the season. Last season felt like it was built on the quicksand of "Let's TRY to defend." and "Let's HOPE it gets better." If this team wants to compete they're going to have to put in some work and take each game seriously. Each player that's there (suited or not) should have the desire to show up and play. Yeah you want to keep things fun, but often I've found you have the most fun when you're winning consistantly.

Each group defense, midfielders, and fowards have to come together as a unit and then as a team. Each person of each unit has to know their role and play it to the tee. Getting those first two links (defense and midfield) should help the fowards create opportunities, but they do have to be able to finish them.

4. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just that jimmy g and her are very tight

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true. I wondered about that. But how much it says for a player that they are so dependent upon one particular trainer? I suppose that question isn't really what this thread is about, though, so I'll move on.

6. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    You guys are so off base....Jim has never coached Yael

7. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    OOOOps....I believe you are talking about another player and another Jim G....sorry

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semi-anonymous internet posters get to ignore the following axiom in ways company officials should not.

Discretion is often the better part of valor.

fyi, there is a delete post option, in case anyone feels like using it... ;)

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protected list and free agents:

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/press_releases/101020-protected-list.aspx

Only eight protected, mostly starters.

Trotter could get drafted by the expansion team.

Alot of free agents- including Averbuch, Dowling, Kai, Koster, Lloyd, Rampone, Schnur, White.

I would think Averbuch and Rampone will come back.

Will Lloyd go to Atlanta?

Schnur's home town could be closer to Buffalo than New Brunswick.

Gerry- any comments?

11. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    There are a lot of free agents - but the decisions on talent will be made by Jim and Rick - it is their team to build. I think you will see major changes in team make-up throughout the league. As far as which of our free agents will return - tough to say.

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Only one of the flagship players (First three) from the WNT is left protected. This will be interesting.

*Thanks for posting RU.

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJ could have protected up to ten players; so we do not know whose options were not picked up and who were true free agents. Of SB's local WNT players, I was told of one that was a true free agent.

14. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It wouldn't phase me if we lost Lloyd. I know nothing is definate. I'm just saying that this could get very interesting considering the way we're going to/or appear to be going. It's really going to require some thought.

15. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    More than one was a "true" free agent. In fact, of the WNT players - Rampone, O'Reilly, Averbuch, Lloyd, Schnur and Taylor - four were free agents, one was signed and one we had an option on.

16. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  17. Wiebel

Wiebel New Member

May 17, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad news! Charlie Brown restaurant in Highland Park will close. There goes the offical restaurant for Sky Blue.

On other news
    From Frank Giase at the Star Ledgar:

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2010/11/giase_us_womens_national_team.html

"Some disturbing reports about the financial health of Women’s Professional Soccer have emerged the past few days. Sky Blue FC, Philadelphia, Atlanta and the expansion team from Western New York were the only teams to meet the Nov. 1 mandated escrow payment deadline, leaving FC Gold Pride, Washington, Boston and Chicago on shaky ground for 2011.

With WPS needing at least six teams to be a viable league, at least two of those teams need an immediate infusion of cash to prevent WPS from folding. Boston and Washington seem the likely candidates, and Chicago is a possibility, but FC Gold Pride, the 2010 champion, appears all but lost. If Boston and Washington can survive, the six-team league could play next year as an East Coast league until further investors can be found."

19. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Is there another restaurant in the area that would be willing to host the team and its fans?

20. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Already working on it - hoping to work out a deal with Gabrielle's in Piscataway.

21. angrybluebaby

angrybluebaby New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    hey Mookie that would've been so cool ! If she does come for a game, I hope its televised !

22. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Me too! I haven't seen her slice through a defense in a while! Hopefully she will have some strike partners and a solid midfield backing her up next season. I would really like to see where she's at now that she's had time to heal up.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was just about to come here and tell RU they might get a chance to shop it up with HAO.

ETA: Thanks Kool and all those who have stopped by to add updates are to comment on them. :D I'm stuck in the midst of finals week.

1 person likes this.
  25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mookie for thinking of us. If we win, I'll pass but maybe my wife would go, esp if Heather is paying. Bridgewater is nice but Short Hills (Neiman Marcus, Tiffany (hey wedding rings!)) would be better. :)