Offseason Action/Happenings

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by Mookie141, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Guess who has a new coach and no one got fired or quit this time!

2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mookie, you beat me to the punch. Talk at the China game is that NJ has a new coach. The name should be well received, unlike Atlanta.

Unfortunately, people were recently let go at Sky Blue resulting in staff cuts.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf is saying that former Freedom coach Jim Gabarra will get the Sky Blue job.

4. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    The same thing happened last season. Who's been let go this time?

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is official, Gabarra to SBFC as head coach & technical director. Stainton will be an assistant.

But will the team have an equipment manager?

6. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Mookie: "Here are your shoes Miss Kai. Here are your 20 y/o shin guards Mrs Rampone. Riley and Reece here's your popsicles you both requested."

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Didn't Jen Grubb serve in an assistant coach capacity? Since she played for Gabarra with the Freedom, I'm sure he would keep her.

8. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Congrat's SkyBlue on new coach, think this is a smart move in hiring him and his exerience will help to calm things down and hopefully bring out the best in the players.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha. excellent :D I bet you could send a PM to the SBGM and volunteer your services, maybe they'd at least find a free place for you to live :D

10. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I'm right here - did I hear volunteer?

11. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would seriously consider it. I am a sophomore year business major and I do need some opportunities to travel and gain some work experience. My goal is to work at least once on as many levels of tower as I can. If travel and housing could be taken care of, I'd totally be interested to do it this summer.

12. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Lauletta’s League Lowdown

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/news/columnist/101013-lauletta-column.aspx

"With that Gabarra takes full command of the soccer operation at Sky Blue. Although they missed the playoffs in 2010, the club is not without talent. Jenni Branam and Karen Bardsley are both recovering from injuries, but form one of the top two goalkeeper tandems in WPS. Rampone anchors a back line that also boasts National Team hopeful Meghan Schnur plus the versatile Keeley Dowling. Scoring has been a bugaboo for two years and is likely the area Gabarra will look to first when it comes to player personnel decisions."

Lets assume that those five are coming back. I thought Taylor was signed to a 3 year deal (that may includes options). At least one WNT player's option was/will be picked-up, but I was told of one who is a free agent.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read the part you quoted, I wondered if Gabarra's hiring meant an end to some of the (alleged) tinkering and interference from ownership/management.

As for the part you wrote, I'm semi-surprised Rampone is an automatic returner (based primarily on what appeared to me to be unhappy tweets). If Rampone isn't a free agent, I'll go out on a limb and guess HAO is a free agent. A (very) quick google search does not yield info on the duration of Lloyd's contract that she signed w/ SBFC. And then there's Kai...but maybe one thread debating Kai in the women's forum is enough ;)

The SBFC GM tweeted that Fletcher will return.

15. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Christie wasn't unhappy towards the team. She was just tired and fed up with the WPS's long arse season. She wanted a little free time to spend with her loved ones before the lead up to and event of the WWC.

I think they'll keep Kai and HAO, unless they want out which I highly doubt.

I'm not so sure about Carli, I know she made the WWCQ roster but she hasn't shown me or hasn't really produced. (Yes she was injured most of the season), but I don't think she's one to go out on a limb for to save.

16. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot that Kendall had told people she was coming back.

Even if Rampone is free, I find it hard to believe she would move. She lives in/near her home town of Point Pleasant, her parents are there, and her sister and kids. That's alot of baby sitters.

Don't forget - there is a fourth Jersey Girl who is also a WNT player.

Plus- being a free agent does not mean not coming back.

17. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Are you talking about Yael?

I hope we're able to bring in a distrubuting midfielder or develop someone into a "final link."

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montclair is in New Jersey- even if it did not vote for the current governor.

19. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    No offense, but Sky Blue FC have been one of the more boring offensive teams over the first two WPS seasons, despite winning it all in 2009.

Is Daphne Koster signed for another year? If not, why not release her, move Taylor to center back with Rampone, and sign a quality international attacking player (I don't think Panico is the answer). In the games I saw, Koster was the weak link of your back line, and its a shame to waste an international spot on a defender if they are just mediocre.

20. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    carli who? lloyd has done nothing in wps in 2 years. nothing. there are at least 8 better mids in this league.

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ^ I know this. I was just trying to "spruce" it up. I appreciate your honesty. That's why I was wondering why she made the WWCQ squad, but I hear Pia has an impecable eye for players.

I don't think we'd would lose anything by getting rid of her. I'm not ever sure how she'd perform if she was put in a system.

22. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    u r right. she has never produced for any club. her experience is rutgers. surround her with good players, ala wnt, and she is ok. nothing more.
    maybe in atlanta she will do better.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Yael. I did forget. But how could I have forgotten?!

and scalvixen, is there a basis for that 3 teams in 3 seasons suggestion?

24. SkyBlueFC_GM

SkyBlueFC_GM New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Morning folks - sorry to be away, but as you can imagine we can't put too much out there - as all the teams read this. I can give you a bit of an update - as someone posted - just being a FA doesn't mean the player isn't coming back. Many of the players are holding off to see what happens in the marketplace and choosing to exercise their right to be a FA. Doesn't mean we aren't trying. Don't read into ANYTHING you see out there - there will be ALOT of FA's which should make for a very interesting next few weeks. So you know the timelines - we must submit a list to the league by 10/20 for the upcoming Expansion Draft. On that list we can protect up to 10 players and MUST leave three players unprotected. Once that list is submitted on 10/20 a quiet period begins where only the new team can be speaking to players. There will be no action going on for two weeks - again, don't read into that - it is what it is. Free agency will not start until the day after the Expansion Draft. At that point we can all talk to the FA's, EXCEPT for those that are FA's from our team. We can't speak to our own FA's until December 1. Again, if there is a SBFC FA that we don't have on our protected list - because FA's are not part of the Expansion Draft it means we can't sign them until December 1st - by the rules, not by anything else. Confused?

1 person likes this.
  25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for posting this timeline. Much appreciated and repped.