Offseason Acquisitions: Disappointing so far?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by BVgolski07, Feb 3, 2008.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really expecting to see a lot of big moves and signings after the excitement of last season and beckhamania, but so far I've been less than thrilled. DC is obviously leading the way with their exciting new players, but I thought movements like this would be standard across the league. I know it's hard with the salary cap, but I really don't see why teams don't each invest in 3 or 4 proven certal/south americans (75-150K range). Here's my break down:

DC: great job, or atleast it seems. They look very tough but we'll have to wait to see how they mesh. It's really too bad it didn't work out with Gomez, i'd rather have him over Moreno. I don't know what he's thinking asking for a raise now that he's 33.

LA: Lost Albright, Pavon, Cannon, and some unimportants and have gotten...Ruiz? I think it's a good move and he'll def be able to take advantage of beck's passing, but this team is far from well rounded. I expected the Gals to make amazing signings especially with the new coach. I know there are probably more on the way but why not get them with the team as soon as possible? May I suggest a brazilian or two.

CHI: Umm really puzzled and sadden by them so far. Lost Armas, Wanchope, Curtain, and Guerrero and have acquired...??? There should be plenty of money to spend especially with the shirt sponsor. They have a good squad but need some more depth. Could use another defender, winger, and def another striker.

Dallas: Pretty good, I like picking up Davino but they could use a replacement for Ruiz certainly.

Houston: I would have said they don't need to really change a thing but now they'd lost 3 strikers from last year's roster. I personally think they should use their DP on a forward. Could also use another mid.

RSL: Actually quite nice. They kind of started this season towards the end of last with their three argentine signings. All of them should continue to succeed as should new player Cordoba. I think they'll make the playoffs this year. Really exciting young forwards: Espindola, Movsysian, Findley. Too bad the stadium isn't openin sooner.

NE: Wowza, ouch, damn. Dorman, Noonan, John all gone and Twellman unhappy. Their defense still looks great but they really need to make some deals happen, fast. Another team that should use a DP in my opinion.

NY: Osorio was able to bring in players to CHI (wanchope, conde) and build a very strong team. I'm sure he'll do the same in NY but they have yet to make anything big happen. I'd consider him the best addition thus far.

SJ: I don't care really, new team, looks like they could be decent but will probably struggle first season.

KC: Embarrasing new home but I think they could have a decent squad. If the Trujillo signing is real that's good. Losing EJ sucks but Arnaud and Sealy were looking pretty good last year.

COL: Too bad the Delgado deal wasn't real. Seems like a squad that should do much better, definitely in need of an overhaul. Is pablo gonna be gone? Will they get gomez?

CHV: This wiky guy sound good, Guzan isn't gone quite yet, and they're coming off quite a strong season. Did the old mexican forward pan out?

TFC: Hello! you finished in last place, how bout you get some new players. Great support, definitely deserving of a better squad. Needs solid young strikers and an overhaul of the D.

2. psu1415

psu1415 New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Sparta, NJ
    columbus?

3. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ooops, lol i felt like i was forgetting someone. hmm... Well I thrink Brian Carroll is a nice addition, as is Iro as long as they can keep him. Dissapointing about Zurawski, they definitely need a good striker. Midfield should be pretty good actually with Carroll, Gaven, Rogers, and Schelotto. I think Gaven could have a really big season, he's got some of the nicest dribbling skills in the league.

4. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Losing Wanchope IS our reinforcement for the year.:eek:

5. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I'm not disappointed at all. Best.Off.Season.Ever

6. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    We're still waiting for the big name player that's been mentioned over and over by the Chivas FO.

7. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Ronaldo changed his mind. :teeth:

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we will see a trend with MLS teams making more moves during the summer window than the winter one. Maybe coaches are thinking they want to get into camp and see what they need as they evaluate the rookies and any other new players brought in. I could be dead wrong but just and idea.

9. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This makes sense as the playoffs are pretty much an all inclusive party. Get hot at the right time and you have a good chance of winning the Cup.

But if you're DC and you have the CCC at the very beginning of the year it only makes sense to load up in the offseason. Getting players to camp and integrated is very important as the CCC is a knockout tourney. I guess Houstan feels comfortable with their roster.

10. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    What's their forward line again?

11. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a bit embarrassed. Actually, I think the new home field will have a positive effect on the team's play.

12. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

This could be what they are doing but i disagree with that philosophy. They need to bring players in early and get them to compete and battle for positions. Seems like a lot of time is wasted if you go through offseason training and then realize a bunch of players on your team suck and are forced to find people to bring in.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Ching and um....

Ching.

14. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Same as it was going into 2007.

As for Delgado, it's a good thing CO haven't signed Delgado. The last thing any team needs but especially the Rapids is yet another player made of glass. Any chance of the MLS capping that at 2 per team?

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    SAN JOSE - Of course they had no roster last year, but I still think they've done well drafting and acquiring players especially compared to some previous expansion teams.

DC UNITED - They lost 4 young American starters and a former MVP Gomez but they've compensated with 5 S Americans. Most of these additions look like upgrades on paper but it's a massive turnover and results are hard to predict.

LA GALAXY - LA actually looks good ... Ruiz is probably better than Glinton, Jones and pavon combined. Albright gone - Babayaro in. Cronin should do well in Cannon's place. Overall not bad.

CHIVAS - They only lost one real starter ... Hernandez and gained 2 or 3 (Wicky, Esky and Curtin). They still need to figure out replacements for all the benchwarmers they waived earlier though especially attacking depth like Merlin and Nunez.

COLORADO - The only thing they lost is some veteran depth (Thornton, Cancela, Sanneh and Osorno) and they gained a proven starter in Burciaga. Not bad.

HOUSTON - Boswell and Craig are probably upgrades over Cochrane and Wells. They will need to rebuild their striker depth as they've lost Jaqua, Ngwenya and Dalglish.

DALLAS - Davino is probably an upgrade over Goodson but they still need someone to replace Ruiz.

SALT LAKE - They've added some interestin players from abroad but they still need more to replace all the players they've traded and waived especially veteran leaders like Pope and Brown.

CHICAGO - Herron is an upgrade over Wanchope but they still need to replace Guerrero and Pickens. As for Armas and Curtin I think they can be replaced internally.

COLUMBUS - Lost their best defender, best midfielder not named Schelotto and their best striker. They gained Carroll. Not good IMO.

RED BULL - Replaced one struggling keeper for another. Lost some veteran attackers in Mathis and Schopp with no replacements yet. They should have plenty of cover though to replace Vide.

TORONTO - They haven't lost anyone critical, but they've waived almost all their Canadian players and have made no progress in replacing them.

KANSAS CITY - Burciaga, Garcia and Johnson are gone with no replacements yet. Not good.

16. RichardUK

RichardUK Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I won't be happy until I see a team sign these guys.

Sure they'd only manage to beat Toronto FC, but every game would be damn entertaining.

[youtube]NzrUU_Wt4TM[/youtube]

(Yes, it's CGI, you cynical lot)

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Losing Osorno was not a loss.

18. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Who cares?

All I care about is that my TEAM is ganna kick your team's ass come the regular season.

Beckham and Co. ain't got nothing on us. Yet...

19. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Beckham were not in the league, would anyone think that the offseason acquisitions were bad?

No. They are of higher quality than ever before.

But if it makes the OP feel better, there will be one more veteran of the Champions League in MLS next year. https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654789