Official World Youth Championship (U20) roster

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    From US Soccer...

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=46523

12 Alvarez, Arturo M 5'9" 145 06/28/85 Houston, Texas San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

17 Cameron, Knox F 6'3" 205 09/17/83 Bronx, N.Y. University of Michigan

11 Clark, Ricardo M 5'10" 140 05/21/83 Jonesboro, Ga. MetroStars (MLS)

5 Cochrane, Ryan D 6'0" 155 08/08/83 Portland, Ore. Santa Clara University

10 Convey, Bobby M 5'8" 150 05/27/83 Philadelphia, Pa. D.C. United (MLS)

1 Cronin, Steve GK 6'2" 190 05/28/83 Fair Oaks, Calif. Santa Clara University

14 Dempsey, Clint M/F 6'1" 170 03/09/83 Nacogdoches, Texas. Furman University

19 Grabavoy, Ned M/F 5'6" 145 07/01/83 New Lenox, Ill. Indiana Univeristy

20 Harvey, Jordan D 5'10" 160 01/28/84 Mission Viejo, Calif. UCLA

15 Johnson, David M 5'11" 160 01/16/84 Venice, Calif. Willem II (Holland)

7 Johnson, Ed F 6'0" 170 03/31/84 Palm Coast, Fla. Dallas Burn (MLS)

8 Klaas, Craig Jared D 5'7" 165 08/23/83 Cherry Valley, Ill. University of Washington

13 Magee, Mike F 5'9" 150 09/02/84 Long Grove, Ill. MetroStars (MLS)

3 Mapp, Justin M 5'11" 160 10/18/84 Brandon, Miss. Chicago Fire (MLS)

4 Marshall, Chad D 6'2" 165 08/22/84 Riverside, Calif. Stanford University

16 Moor, Drew D 6'0" 170 01/15/84 Dallas, Texas Indiana University

9 Quaranta, Santino F 6'1" 185 10/14/84 Baltimore, Md. D.C. United (MLS)

6 Stone, Jordan M 5'9" 145 03/16/83 Allen, Texas Dallas Burn (MLS)

2 Whitbread, Zach D 6'3" 180 01/10/84 Liverpool, England Liverpool (England)

18 Williams, Ford GK 6'3" 190 02/20/84 Raleigh, N.C. University of North Carolina

Head Coach: Thomas Rongen
    Assistant Coach: Cle Kooiman
    Goalkeeper Coach: Dave Dir

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    any surprises? Nice to see Whitebred

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A few thoughts...

Whitbread, baby! That is the best news of the whole two-year U20 cycle.

No Simek? That is kinda odd. There must be a story there because Rongen seemd to like him.

I don't have too many problems with this roster, just a couple of quibbles.

I would have picked Clint Baumstark, who has spent a year in an MLS environment and played an MLS game, over Williams, who was benched in favor of a a rather unheralded freshmen for part of this season.

I would have taken Heath Pearce of Portland over Harvey in part because Harvey doesn't even start and because he's not the greatest defender. Pearce is a better back though Harvey is much better going forward.

The one that raises the most eyebrows is Clint Dempsey. This guy was on the fringe of the pool but must have made a good showing the last time Rongen saw him. Still, I find it hard to believe he beat out Gaven, Capano and, yes, Freddy.

I'm assuming Dempsey only made the team because of whatever reason Simek didn't, but it still seems an odd selection.

That said, the players I'm quibbling over are all reserves and aren't going to make or break this team. How the 20s do in the UAE will be determinned by how the top 14-or-so players perform.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Very interesting to see ZW on the squad. I wonder if he's actually "pledged his future" to the US or if this is a ploy by Rongen to force his hand and he's got, say, Chris Lancos at the ready. I'd watch the Liverpool fansites for news on this one.

I noticed no alternates were named... I wonder if there are any, or if what we see is what we get. Also somewhat surprised to see Williams get the nod over Baumstark even if the latter's MLS "career" got off to a somewhat strange start.

Some other guys left off -- not making a judgement here, just stating fact -- include Palomares, Capano, Barclay, Pearce, Moose and Simek.

EDIT: Well, I can see now that Sandon and I were typing at the same time... Guess he pressed "Send" first! Oh well.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The release said that the team will leave for the UAE the 22nd. With the first game the 29th, that's not a lot of time, especially since you'll lose about a day traveling.

Hopefully the players will gather in the states for training before then. Since the 23s are already going to have a camp - either in Maryland or Florida - next week, I'd like to see Rongen call them all in starting Monday to train together, especially since some of them are already going to be there with the 23s.

With the exception of Mapp and Alvarez, none will have conflcits next week. (And, if Chicago and San Jose lose, neither will Mapp and Alvarez.) The college players may have conflicts but they were missing the games on the 22nd/23rd - NCAA Tournament 1st round - anyway and there won't be any conflcits, besides that silly school thing - to keep them from reporting early in the week.

Hell, if the US gets a big lead in the first leg, Myernick and Rongen could even use just 20s for the second leg in Germantown.

6. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Sandon, as for Harvey over Pearce, I'm wondering if Whitbread's selection doesn't factor in here.

I seem to recall Whitebread being used at LB in the Spain tourney and that Rongen liked this setup which kept Marshall and Cochrane in the middle.

Maybe Harvey was picked n offensive option at LB, where I assume Whitbread will be more defensive-minded.

7. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Simek has been getting regular games with the Reserve team at Arsenal,and the EPL managers are not releasing many players at all for this tournament. They have to plan a head, and a rush of injuries, card suspensions and matches can meana guy getting plugged in. Not saying Frank will be, but that's why Wenger didn't want him to go.

It's no small feat on Rongen's part to get Whitbread released, because he too is playing a lot for his club's Reserve side. It has been said all along that Whitbread wants to play for the U.S. He will be starting at left back.

Dempsey is a surprise, but I don't think he replaces Simek in the squad. Six defenders (seven if you include Jordan Stone) defenders is plenty. I think Dempsey in in because Devin Barclay couldn't recover from his injury in time. He and Harvey are on the squad almost purely for cover.

This team has really got its work cut out for it considering how little time it has been able to spend together, but as I understand it the team gathers one day and leaves the next. Rongen is busy with the 23s through Nov. 19 and the preceding weekend will be important for most of the college players, so you're losing more in logistical aggravation than you're gaining in trying to have a camp for 3-4 days in Maryland prior to leaving. Almost every player will have been training through the 15th-16th. It's not ideal but it's just one more consequence of the event being postponed. I doubt if many, if any, of the other countries are training together much before that date, if at all.

I think the real key to this team's success, believe it or not, is Santino Quaranta. He is going to have to come out focused and ready to set aside a pretty rotten year. If he does, no doubt he can help this team achieve much. If he doesn't, I think they struggle to make it past the round of 16.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I really like Rongen's approach: If you're not starting 11, so he doesn't take you off from your European clubs to sit on the bench. So that is why as I understand that Simak, Cooper, and Karbsiyyion are not called in. Instead of college players are sitting on the bench. For the future, it is better for those players who playing reserve team right now to try to get in the first team. Of course, Whitbread is different story who already made the Liverpool first team and will start in left back position.

The only missing player is Gaven, but the problem is that if you take Gaven, then how you can leave Adu in USSF's eyes?

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I read a match report from an Arsenal reserve match a few weeks ago in which they alluded to the fact that Simek had been hurt and was just making his way back to the reserves (something they said was important). Maybe Simek wanted to solidify his spot with the reserves and he asked out.

10. joemomma

joemomma New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Could we get a list of where the defenders and midfielders play from one of the experts? I'd like to know who are central defenders/central midfielders, as opposed to wing players, and if they play wide is it on the left or right? Gers said that whitbread is starting on the left, I was under the impression he was playing central defense with Arsenal. Offensively we look good but defensively, well, I don't watch college soccer but I've got the impression that the level of play is much lower than MLS or europe reserve teams.
    Projected Lineup?

Quarenta --- Magee
    ---Convey---
    Mapp-----EJ
    ---Clarke---
    Whitbread---??---??---??
    ---Cronin---

I'd like the EJ experiment at right mid that dallas started, if he doesn't play there replace magee with EJ and put alvarez (is he right footed?) at right mid.

11. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [
    Quarenta --- Magee
    ---Convey---
    Mapp-----EJ
    ---Clarke---
    Whitbread---??---??---??
    ---Cronin---

I'd like the EJ experiment at right mid that dallas started, if he doesn't play there replace magee with EJ and put alvarez (is he right footed?) at right mid. [/B][/QUOTE]

I dunno about the rest, but Klaas plays right back.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    You know, EJ, by his own admission, did not have the defensive responsibilities that he would have if he played on the wing for Mooch. Quaranta, nightmare season and all, did actually have a couple of very good games this season as a two-way winger and is way more experienced as a mid wing. So not knowing where Tino's head is now, and knowing that both kids are more forwards than mids, I'd look to put Tino at right wing first- if they aren't both starting at forward that is.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The starting centerbacks will be Ryan Cochrane and Chad Marshall. C.J. Klaas is the starting right back, though he plays central mid at U. Washington. Whitbreat does in fact play centrally for Liverpool's reserves but he'll start at left back for the 20s because he's better there than the ones who are natural LBs.

Jordan Harvey is the backup left back, though he can play wide mid as well and Drew Moor can - and has - fill in at either right back or center back.

As for the mids, Convey will be the central playmaking mid. Ricardo Clark will be the D-mid though he can also play wide right. Jordan Stone will back up Clark and can also play right back.

Arturo Alvarez and Justin Mapp are the wing mids. Both are natural lefties though Mapp has played a lot of right mid for the Fire.

David Johnson is a utility player, capable of playing either central MF spot and right mid. Ned Grabavoy is a playmaking cebter mid though he's playing withdrawn striker at Indiana.

I don't know where Clint Dempsey is best.

Also, Santino Quaranta and Eddie Johnson, both forwards, have played some right mid with their clubs - and in Johnson's case, with the 23s, too.

WIth Mike Magee likely to be one of the starting forwards, I would expect we'll see either Quaranta or EJ playing some right mid.

If I had to guess...

Cronin
    Klaas, Marshall, Cochrane, Whitbread
    Clark
    E. Johnson, Mapp
    Convey
    Magee, Quaranta

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think that's the problem. Rongen said he didn't want to disrupt things by taking along any U17s, and now he's stuck sticking with that choice.

15. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Looks like Baumstark's gamble to leave UAB early in hopes of making the U20s didn't pan out.

16. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 college kids and 10 pros... not bad for an U19 team. Not long ago college kids dominated the U23 team. Now I bet there won't be one if we make it to Athens...

17. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Its really nice to see Alvarez make the squad. What a year for this kid! He was barely on the map for most of us (who haven't followed the 85's) and he grabs his chance with the older boys and wasn't too shabby with the Quakes I might add. I predict a super-sub appearance for a late game-winner in the knock-out rounds. You heard it here first!

RE: Simek. I would've thought between our two young England YA's, he would be the one to be released as Whitbread seems more likely to make his breakthrough sooner. Although, as someone mentioned before, he came back injured from the last U20 experience and I am sure that played a part in him not being released (I assume Rongen wanted him).

18. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To add to this, Simek is just starting to break into the Reserve team at Arsenal the way Whitbread was last spring. If he was entrenched in the side as Whitbread is now and was going to start for the US then I think he would get called in. Better to let Simek better establish himself with the Arsenal reserves.

And Arsenal will be missing Lauren, Keown and Parlour for a few games each due to suspensions from the Manu brouhaha, leaving them very thin on defense. Normal reserve players would get called up to the first team, meaning more reserve PT for Frank and possible PT in the Carling Cup.

19. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    If Simek gets a first-team run out, I'm trying to think if any other American has risen through a Euro pro team's youth ranks all the way to the top.

John O'Brien is the only one I can think of. But it's late and I'm sleep-deprived. Any others?

(I guess Jovan Kirovski and John Thorrington qualify, although they ended up going to pro clubs other than where they apprenticed).

20. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    It sounds like Simek didn't get called in for the right reasons. One, he is establishing himself in England. Two, he isn't going to beat out Cochrane or Marshall for a central defense starting slot anyway. Not enough time.

I feel badly for Heath Pearce, who got the oust on Whitbread's arrival. I think Pearce is a better left back than Harvey, but probably not as flexible a player.

For whatever reason, I think this team lacks some firepower. Hopefully I am just off my rocker and don't know what I am talking about, but if Magee and Quaranta end up as the starting combination, I think we're going to struggle to create goals. If Mapp and Alvarez are manning the wings, I think we lack some pure athleticism, which is partly why I think how well the US does in this tournament comes down to how well Eddie Johnson does in this tournament.

I think Ryan Cochrane and Ricardo Clark are going to open international eyes. I hope Whitbread is as good as advertised. CJ Klaas is a very good player, and I think he makes the jump from this tournament to MLS this year. Hopefully Bobby Convey gets over the hump he's been sitting on the uphill side of after the Tottenham fallout.

I'm not predicting failure, but I think this team is going to have a tough time getting out of the first round. I hope I am wrong.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what Justin Mapp you've seen, but the one I've seen can absolutely fly like the freakin' wind. From what I've seen he and Eddie Johnson are our most dangerous offensive weapons.

I think if one of Johnson or Quaranta goes out wide, then it's got to be Quaranta. I think Eddie needs to be up top just as a threat if nothing else.

But I agree in general in that the attack isn't as potent as it could be. It's probably not wise to underestimate Magee at the U20 level though. Gets into good scoring positions, and if Convey, Mapp and Johnson can create, Magee can at least finish.

Quaranta has me muy worried. He's looked terrible of late.

22. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think Convey has been hurt by having Stoichkov and Etch as teammates this year. He is pushed out of the middle (where he does the best) and is forced to play deeper to cover the two of them. You also have Marco coming over to take every free kick and when you do, you see Convey just look dejected. Then there was Hristo shoving Convey last weekend (Bobby should have punched him, it would have at least made the game memorable).

Santino is an enigma, he looks great or like crap, depending on the day. There are many peopel on the United boards who believe Satino needs a change of scenery to mature has a player, some people want him traded to Dallas for Johnson, others just want him gone. The fact of the matter is, when Santino is healthy and motivated, he can take over a game. The problem is that he is rarely one or the other, almost never both.

Btw, I love the headline for this at cnnsi: "Adu left at home:
    MLS regulars Convey, Quaranta lead U.S. roster for U-20 World Cup".

23. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two questions: Kenny Cooper from ManU reserves,not good enough, not enough looks by Rongen, too busy?
    If Santino Quaranta is being taken (are the U20s a level that much lower than MLS?) over either Gaven or Adu, Rongen is being VERY loyal...I am just afraid that even if he gets to play, he'll be innefective....Simek i guess is on the verge of doing great things at Arsenal based on posters here and the YA boards....How about the "other" American kid at Arsenal (i'll call him 'K' his name is just impossible to remember in order to spell it right)

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure Rongen would tell you there was not enough time for Cooper. The fact that Cooper declined to go on the last European trip despite being invited would back him up. Too bad, as the weakness is at forward and, while I don't think playing regularily for an EPL reserve side at age 19 guarantees anything re a future with the full Nats, Cooper's success with the ManU Reserves is a pretty good indicator he could fit right in at the Under 20 level.

I think Simek was not released while Simek was because of all the suspensions Arsenal has. I doubt he will get first team action, but Arsenal probably wants to be safe and guard against injuries on top of the suspensions.

Karboyssian the American forward at Arsenal is not playing much, so his exclusion is not much of a surprise.

25. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Random Thoughts

* The USSF should've spelled Zak Whitbread's name correctly in the roster release.

* The Whitbread inclusion really surprises me. I didn't have much faith that he'd play in this tournament for the USA, so I'm glad to eat crow on this issue. Props to Rongen for staying after him. I suppose this isn't final with the new FIFA rules.

* I don't like how the USSF waits for players to sign with a Euro club before they invite them to a camp. David Johnson wasn't invited to the U-20s until Rongen heard he signed in Holland. Cooper plays well enough in the Dallas Cup that Benfica and Man Utd are eager to invite him over for trials. Why can't our National scouts identify these players as possible contributors before they're attached to a European team? And Rongen watched Cooper play against the U-18s in January 2003, so there is no excuse really.

* I hope this team does well in the UAE, but I think they are less talented than the previous version. I'd consider it a success to get out of the group stage.

Breakdown of Players by Prior Youth Nat teams:

U-17 (98/99): <2> Steve Cronin, Bobby Convey

U-17 (00/01): <9> Justin Mapp, Chad Marshall, Jordan Stone, Edward Johnson, Santino Quaranta, Mike Magee, David Johnson, Ford Williams, Jordan Harvey

U-18 (00/01): <7> Steve Cronin, Bobby Convey, Ryan Cochrane, CJ Klaas, Rico Clark, Knox Cameron, Ned Grabavoy

U-20 (00/01): <1> Bobby Convey

No prior team: <3> Drew Moor, Clint Dempsey, Zak Whitbread

%- Arturo Alvarez played with the U-17s in '01 at the US Soccer Festival. He didn't make the final roster in T&T, but he was in the "system" during the 00/01 cycle.

* Hmm, two of the players that didn't play in the prior cycle for a Youth Nat team are from Dallas (Moor and Dempsey) and so is Kenny Cooper.