Official World Cup matches discussion thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I knew I had a good reason for not growing up!

4. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Which part of Southern Spain are you planning on visiting?

5. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to grow up either ! F U Lalas ! :mad::D

6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My first time to Andalucia, so planning to tread the beaten path. Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Ronda, Algeciras just to catch the ferry to Morocco. All suggestions welcome via pm! Morocco too.

7. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

I visited many of those places during my road trip through Southern Spain from Madrid. I ended all the way in Morocco and took the ferry trip to Tangiers which was an amazing experience. If you can try to catch Malaga, the Alhambra Palace in Granada, and keep your eye out for dolphins on the ferry to Morocco. Depending on where you go in Morocco you can tell they are very nice people and passionate about football. Hope you have a good trip!

8. overlookedx

overlookedx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seriously bummed about seeing the Germans go out, they were the most exciting team to watch this WC.

I'm absolutely dreading the snoozefest that will be the final, I'm betting the 3rd place game will be a much more entertaining match.

Well, congrats Spain, Euro champions and WC champions, job well done.

OTOH, like others have said, glad that the two nations in the final have never lifted a WC before. At least there's that...

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In 2 years only, I find that hard to believe especially since in 2008 neither Rudd (44/45 years) and Alexi (38) were all that young to begin with. On the other hand, for money, I'm sure anyone can grow up fast....

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the correction.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    You'll enjoy Morocco, go up into the hill country ;)

As an aside: I'll be rooting for the Netherlands, GO ORANJE

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, Germany just couldn't get their counter-attack going against Spain. I think they missed Mueller's speed and possibly Cacau's as well. As much as I appreciate Spain's technical ability, I find them somewhat dull to watch. They just hold possession forever, and kind of slowly choke off the air to the opposition, then eventually get the kill - their one goal.

I thought Germany should have taken more chances, and tried to pressure Spain more in the midfield. But they just sort of let them hold possession and played more conservatively, basically allowing Spain to control the match. They wound up trying to play Spain's game, and Spain is just better at it.

It'll be interesting to see how Holland approaches the game against Spain relative to how Germany approached it. I hope they are more aggressive and take more chances to win possession. That'll open up the game a bit.

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more bummed that the German coach didn't let them play. You need to put pressure on Spain like Chile and Paraguay. They were far too passive. However, I like Spain and had no problem with them winning.

Nice to see either Spain or Holland win. I will be cheering for Spain. Holland can be a bunch of hacks and I still haven't recoved from their game against Portugal at the last WC.

I went to both the 3rd and final in 1994. Although Sweden destroyed Bulgaria, it was far more entertaining game.

14. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dude the spanish play just as boring as the italians! just hold the ball....hold the ball....and the second they lose it, throw all 11 men behind the ball and repeat...damn...atleast with germany you have excitement of people running back and forth LOL.

15. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thats offensive to say.

16. futurequakekeeper

Feb 14, 2008
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    sorry this isent ayso...golden goal is a stupid idea beyond bounds.
    imagine this, its the last 4 minuets of the first half of overtime...u.s.a v mexico in the final of wc(extemely hypothetical considering none of the two teams will make a wc final in the next 200 years)....BOOM...a usa player scores the goal...wait...offsides?...now mexico take the ball knock it around..last min and everyone knows usa can win......mexico knocks a ball and oh, guess what..he was offsides and the ref dident call it...........game over....one for the history books huh? no miracle comback...no nothing, sorry but that would never gel with me...kind of like the stupid crap mls did in the early years of the hockey style tiebreakers...LOL...pk's for lyfe...esspecially since i can always stop them.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're my heroine! :D

GO QUAKES!!
    VIVA ESPAÑA!!

- Mark

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Spaniards do not try to break their opponents ankles. The Germans and the Dutch both hack, a lot. It's disgusting. This year, the Germans added diving to their repertoire.

I can appreciate Germany's attacking flair, their talent for attacking from several different points. They have a lot of skill on the ball. So that makes their cheating all the more obnoxious.

You're showing your age and lack of historical knowledge. There are still plenty of fascists in Germany. Racism against immigrants, especially those who are not white, is still a serious issue in Germany.

For comparison, our South have grown and changed a lot, but there are still plenty of racist pin-heads still clinging to Dixie! That's well more than 140 years ago. Nazi Germany is only 66 years back.

So no, it's not offensive. It just is, and Germany will be a long time living it down. Doesn't mean that I dislike Germans, just that I look at it in context.

GO QUAKES!!
    VIVA ESPAÑA!!

- Mark

19. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Those are just two different styles of games. One is open with many counter-attacks, like the Germans play, and one takes complex passing and a moment of brilliance or a mistake to unlock a tight defense. That can be interesting too, especially with how well Spain passes the ball.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    haha! :)

21. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    A dyslexic man was just arrested at the World Cup for blowing a Zulu's vulva. :D

22. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classless, sore loser African fans booing Suarez. :mad:

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because he saved his team? Its not like he really cheated. I mean he was called for a foul was red carded served his suspension and the other team missed the ensuing pk. Is that his fault? I mean come on! Whomever is booing him are ignorant fans.

Anyway, as far as 3rd place consolation games go, so far, this one is pretty exciting.....

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The third-place games generally tend to be.

Unlike the final games in which both teams usually seem (at least initially) to be afraid of making that first mistake that costs them a world title, teams in consolation games are generaly less afraid of not getting that third-place medal and thus simply seem to just "go for it", usually providing wider-open play and higher-scoring games in the process. :cool:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    & Forlan hit the crossbar with the last kick! Incredible!