Official World Cup matches discussion thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be pretty guay.

1 person likes this.
  2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't know if everyone here is reading the referee boards, but that was not a gross offside (as with Argentina/Mexico). The images I've seen indicate that the AR was somewhat out of position, but with all the shuffling, hard to stay with the second-to-last defender, and even if he had been even, may not have been possible to judge off or on. In that case, advantage goes to attacker.

Re the German goal, this is the quote I read: Neuer said: ‘I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening. I realised it was over the line and I think the way I carried on so quickly fooled the referee into thinking it was not over."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...eferee-Frank-Lampards-shot.html#ixzz0sJCOSKhU

Obviously, a British newspaper is going to have a different take on it from a German newspaper. But it's hard to dispute that he knew the ball had gone in, and it's no less reprehensible than the various hands of god that have played such major roles in these tournaments.

Me, I think I'll root for Paraguay, definite underdogs, otherwise known primarily as the place that you visit to buy cheap electronics after you tour Iguazu Falls. They could use some World Cup shine.

3. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm going to root against the Germans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twzFEjx0wc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twzFEjx0wc[/ame]

4. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a darn hard call to make live. I don't really think we need to criticize the AR too much in that sense. Even so, he was off. It is one of 8 goals either incorrectly given or incorrectly not given that the folks counting have found. I find that to be quite a large number.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe I'm being too lenient on the Neuer, but I still contend that he didn't do anything grossly wrong. On a close play, I think you have to act as if the call is going to go your way. When he "realized it was over the line", it's possible that he was mistaken. And I think something may be lost in the translation of "fooled". It isn't necessarily that he was purposely trying to fool the ref, but his quick reactions may have had the effect of "fooling" the ref. That's what I get out of his first comment: "‘I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening". Isn't that what you should do in general? Concentrate on what's happening and don't try to anticipate the ref's call? He wasn't "cheating" in the sense of purposely bringing a hand to the ball a la Maradona or Henry. He was only doing what a goalkeeper would do on a play like that with the assumption that the ball didn't cross the line.

And even if he was purposely trying to hurry the play to "fool" the ref, I would liken it to an American football play where you think a call might have gone your way, so you try to quickly get the next play off before the opposing coach can throw the challenge flag. Is it cheating? I don't think so. It's within the rules. There's no rule in American football that says you should make sure to give the refs time between plays if you think they've blown a call, whether it's for you or against you. And I don't think there's such a rule in soccer either. It's not your responsibility to help the refs make the right call.

6. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob Bradley and Landy Cakes will be on The Daily Show tomorrow, the 30th.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, I had to track down the German, which says:
    "Ich habe bei dem Schuss von Lampard nur auf den Ball geschaut, ihn mir schnell geschnappt und weiter gespielt. Wenn ich nach rechts und links geschaut hätte, hätte es sich der Schiedsrichter vielleicht überlegt. Vielleicht habe ich so auch dazu beigetragen, dass er kein Tor gegeben hat. Natürlich war der Ball drin, das habe ich bei der Dopingkontrolle gesehen. Das 1:0 war so mit Miro Klose genau abgesprochen. Miro hat mir ein Zeichen gegeben, dass ich richtig drunterkloppen soll. Wir hatten vorher darüber gesprochen, dass er beim Abschlag nicht im Abseits steht. Wir wussten beide, dass er ihn kriegt."

Which I suspect means, at least in retrospect, that he was not bragging about fooling anyone but preferring the explanation that at the time, he himself didn't know.

But...the fact is that we all knew. Everyone watching television, the commentators, probably most of the people in the stands, teammates -- everyone, it seems, except the referees and the goalkeeper -- saw that ball cross well into the box.

As for the offside rule, I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but maybe it's time to modify it. The reason for offside as far as I know (and I am open to being educated if I am wrong) is to prevent the offense from getting an unfair advantage on the ball and thus snagging an easy goal. In general, I think it works, but where it falls apart is a situation like today's, with Spain, where people are measuring in terms of inches. Calling an offside in such a situation may meet the letter of the law but not the spirit. If a defender and an attacker are both hustling for the ball and the defender is so perfectly attuned to the opposition that he manages to pause for a split second -- just at the exact moment the ball is kicked -- should that be an offside? The current rules say yes, but logic says...ummm, something isn't working here.

Offside is the third rail of soccer, dividing the amateurs from the cognoscenti. If we didn't have offside, how could those of us who understand it (and love to split hairs over it) otherwise demonstrate our superior knowledge? Not a good reason to keep the rule as is, but justification for not changing it.

1 person likes this.
  9. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have a point. The rub is you have to have an objective definition. I don't think you can work with having the refs judge what's a significant enough position to consider it unfair advantage. They already do it regarding what's a passive offside and it creates problems. But I know I personally prefer the game be as objective as possible, which isn't always very objective anyway. What I hate...really hate...is anything that makes it were the referee judges who they think is playing better and who they think deserves to win and makes calls based on that. It's probably why I like figure skating or diving as entertainment sports but not competitive ones.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm not for modifying the rule, but I think that if it's close enough that the ref is not sure, they should not call it. I think Spain's goal, though probably offside, is close enough that you shouldn't call it unless you see it very clearly and you're sure. It doesn't bother me that it wasn't called. Argentina's 1st goal against Mexico however, that was terrible.

My sense is that there are more offside calls that are not offside than there are non-calls of offside goals. The reason is that if you are a split second late in looking at position when the pass is made to the forward player, it will appear that the player is off. But that's too bad, because that's one of the greatest plays in soccer - the perfectly timed run and well-placed pass to put a player through.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I guess i'm rooting for Uruguay or the Netherlands. I don't dislike either team but the rest of the field can go hang.

12. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can root for a team with Nigel de Hack....break-your-leg-in-a-friendly-on-a-dirty-tackle-and-feel-no-remorse and Arjen...once-a-diver-always-a-diver on it?

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate the Dutch. :mad:

Well OK, not all of the Dutch, just the turds on their national soccer team. Their favorite play is the hip check. Do you recall their '06 match against Portugal? Where their strategy from before the start of the game was to injure Christiano Ronaldo? Or their '98 match against México? Where their main tactics were hip checks and shin kicks? The Netherlands team is dirty. Worse than the Germans, who are pretty rough too.

GO URUGUAY!!

- Mark

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ever have one of those things break on you?

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has everyone signed this petition (I hope):

W --

Thanks so much for your amazing support during our World Cup run.

I know we had a tough end to the tournament, but I'm proud of our guys and all the fans like you who stood behind us. Together, we took another big step forward for U.S. soccer.

But we still have work to do. The winning goal against Algeria was one of the greatest feelings I have ever experienced. I can only imagine how that goal would have felt if it had happened in the United States.

FIFA will announce its choice of hosts for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments on December 2nd. That gives us five months to make our case for why FIFA should pick the U.S.

So far, more than 764,000 people have signed the petition supporting our Bid. That's a ton of signatures, but we can go bigger.

Let's set our goal above and beyond one million!

One million signatures mean one million reasons for the U.S. to host the FIFA World Cup™. Help us reach our goal by spreading the word to everyone you know:

http://gousabid.com/onemillion

Our team and our fans -- both at home and in South Africa -- left it all out there on and off the field during the tournament. Let's put the same energy and dedication into our Bid to host the World Cup.

Thanks again for all your support.

-- Landon Donovan

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Fifty bucks says he picks his nose...fifty bucks more says he eats it.":eek:

18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that letter addressed to George "doubleya" Bush?

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil leading 1-0 over the Netherlands at halftime. :cool:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now 1-1 between Brazil and the Netherlands. :(

VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now equalized! :D

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now 2-1 Netherlands. :(

VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe Brazil lost. Mind boggling. ONly watched for a few minutes but I see the flopping is still happening.

24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Brazil didn't seem to know how to come back. Once they were down, they fell apart.

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With no more U.S. and Brazil in this year's tourney, it's now back to solely watching the Earthquakes and the Giants this summer (except maybe the World Cup final game) until the NFL preseason in August. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G