Official World Cup matches discussion thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    amazingly enough MLS has some competition for the worst ********ing refs ever

what a ********ing joke the entire tournament has been ref wise

the worst ********ing ball ever (might as well play with a ********ing beach ball) isn't ********ing helping either

2. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is undeniable the we fans were robbed of what should have been two very exciting games.

England - Germany going into the half tied at 2-2 have a very different psychology that England having to press forward more to make up for being robbed of a goal.

Like was before the off-side goal, at one point I was think "Mexico" is going to make this a real game.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The game may have changed to a point but I still don't believe either Mexico or England will have advanced. England would have never beaten Germany. The same goes for Mexico vs. Argentina......

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, unless it's going to affect the bottom line Blatter won't do shit. And it won't affect his bottom line in the majority of the world. They all love soccer too much and don't have enough other options for this to have much of an impact. Where you will see more of one is places where there are alternatives to watching corrupt soccer, like the US.

I take my old man as an example. He's never been a big soccer lover, but I've been working on him for the last 4-5 years and he gave this World Cup a go. After that piss poor display of officiating and flopping his opinion of soccer is down with his opinion of the WWE when it comes to credibility of the players and officials. It took two weeks to undo half a decade of work. And I doubt he's alone in being outright disgusted with the sport.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trouble is we'll never know now. You're likely right, but it's also beyond question that the situation would have been much different had the bad calls not been made, particularly with how negatively they affected the two teams. Yes Germany and Argentina have moved on, but they did so on tainted wins no better than the France's win over Ireland a few months back.

6. Barclay Boy

Barclay Boy New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Norwich
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday's Brazil-Netherlands Quarterfinal should be a fun one to watch (or at least to record and watch later). :cool:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The WC is a chance to bring new fans into the sport, and that does affect the bottom line. But at least in this country, a lot of people were turned off by the officiating and the flopping, both issues that should have been addressed beforehand.

I don't foresee the US becoming a soccer nation like so many others, but a better executed World Cup could have gone a long way toward enhancing soccer's overall image.

1 person likes this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I think the reffing in this cup is noticeably better than it was in '06. However, there have been a few high profile screwups that really hurt.

Also, part of the deal with bad calls is not just that it changes some aspect of the game (my throwin instead of yours), it also screws with the mentality of the aggrieved side. They either get peed, or lose some focus, or expect the ref to call everything against them. We see retaliatory fouls too when the ref allows a foul that he shouldn't.

I think it's great that Blatter apologized to Enguland and México. So when's he going to apologize to us? "Hey USA, I'm sorry your side got screwed by the refs four matches in a row." That would be kind of nice huh?

And as for bad officiating turning off USians, I think it's the consistently bad officiating in OUR matches that hurt the most. Goals called back and red cards not handed out and our guys getting too many yellows and off-sides calls when we were on. That adds up.

GO USA!!!!
    GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good reasons for more accurate methods of judging fouls, offsides, whether the ball has gone over the line, etc. Countries like Germany where soccer is the only thing going might be able to put up with this crap more easily than we do (although I don't really think so), but when you have three or four major sports being the center of attention, it's hard to create a following from those who are not dedicated fans if casual fans dismiss the game because they think too much of it is bogus.
    Blatter and his FIFA dinosaurs have to get their heads out of the 19th Century and make the jump into the 21st.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem I have with the apologies is that they're hollow without any real action. Ok, he's admitted they ********ed up... and? Just like the Ireland game during the qualification rounds, unless the game is replayed the apologies mean nothing and the teams that moved on are now tainted which means the whole tournament is now tainted. And if it's one thing American fans in particular don't like it's tainted results. Just look at the backlash against drug addicts and tainted results in MLB over the last few years. Not good for a sport that is trying to get it's feet under it in this country.

What I would like to see is Garber be proactive and institute changes like video replay and/or extra officials now in MLS and let FIFA look silly on their own.

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It doesn't sit well with me that Germany has been boasting about managing to sneak one past the referees, and that they are claiming it's appropriate revenge for being wronged in 1966.

I also really don't like games going to kicks from the mark. I think I'd rather see the golden goal reinstated. Oh well -- Spain vs Portugal could be a memorable match... or a defensive snoozer.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS!! would be excellent!

And our MLS refs need all the help they can get. Most of them are so lame it's just tragic. The AR's are getting the off-side call correct more often than they used to, but I'm not sure they are much above the 60% mark on those.

GO QUAKES!! :D

- Mark

15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's not a lot of teams left in this contest that anyone would want to root for, are there? I've disliked Germany already without this added reason. Spain and Uruguay perhaps. I guess we just watch as true neutrals and pray for spells of good soccer without diving or hacking or game-altering officiating errors.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. spongey

spongey Member

Feb 23, 2007
    SF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, in the Spain/Portugal match, was Captavila even touched by the Portugal player that was given the red at the end of the game? From the replay it looked like no contact whatsoever. I wish FIFA would have the balls to go after the blatant fakers and punish them after review. They should be handed the same punishment that was given to the player that was penalized for their simulation. In a fair world Captavila would be sitting out the next game.

20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't care for the "revenge for 1966" thing, but they are probably just pointing out that these things happen, and not only to England. Also, I don't think they're necessarily bragging as much as talking about what I think you have to do in those situations. It's not your responsibility to do the ref's job for them. You have to play as if it's not a goal even if you think it might have been one. You have to assume that the refs got it right, and you play on.

I'm kind of torn about the blown call thing. On the one hand you can say that the blown call in the England-Germany game or the Argentina-Mexico game irrevocably changed the game, but on the other hand there's no reason why those teams couldn't have overcome the adversity and tied up the game. England and Mexico both had over half the match to get it done.

At some point in the tournament something is not going to go your way, whether it's a bad call or a very unlucky occurrence. And you have to be able to rise above it. The US did it twice - by overcoming improperly disallowed goals in both the Slovenia and Algeria matches. They could have very easily not made it out of the group stage if they hadn't. I think Bradley had something to do with that - you have to have an attitude where you're accountable for your own performance, and you don't look around for excuses, and you keep plugging away and overcome. In fact, after the Slovenia game, Bradley simply said that "the game is very hard to referee". Contrast that to the sour grapes of Capello, for example. You may not be able to overcome the adversity, but if you let it affect your play, you are surely toast.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]
    VAI BRASIL!!! [​IMG]

-G

22. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, someone on the ref's board says BBC have a replay that comes in early enough to show the elbow even though the ESPN replays are all too late. I'm only just watching the game on ESPN now. I will say that I've watched Capdavilla for 4 years with Villarreal and I wouldn't label him a diver. So, I'll be giving him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't see either game today but I know Japan lost on pk's. What
    I want to know is how did they play?

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal! :( I was expecting them to lose but it still leaves me heartbroken.. they could have/should have played much better. Some of the lineup changes Queiroz made this game were depressing and disappointing - he insisted on using guys that should have stayed on the bench the whole game, instead of the squad that whopped NK 7-0. To be so close to beating Spain... one goal! I had small hopes they would win and now is crushed. Ah well, "there can be only one" champion..

I too am left rooting for no team in the final 8... Root for one of the soccer superpowers? No way I'm wanting Brazil, Germany, Argentina, or Spain to win the WC.. I kind of like the Dutch.. but other than that, root for one of the 'guays? Ghana? Depressing..

I'm hoping for a Paraguay - Uruguay final :cool:

Netherlands to beat Brazil :)

25. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And an offside goal at that.