Official World Cup matches discussion thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoilers welcome here. Please try to keep spoilers out of other threads though until 24 hours after the games have ended.
    Will sticky come friday.

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The refs are crap!! :mad:

Oh wait. :eek:

Sorry, jumping the gun a little there ...

go usa!!!

- Mark

4. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently the score is :
    South Africa 0 vs. Mexico 0

:D
    it will not stay that way though.
    SA wins

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Carlisle does a damned good job telling it.

6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, only thing he negates to mention is that ESPN and sports media as a whole have and continue to treat soccer as if it is not only unpopular, but non-existent.

Surely soccer in the US has continued to suffer due to the lack of any real coverage by sports broadcasts, including mainly ESPN. Not only are soccer games not broadcast (if rarely), they are not promoted, they are not covered, they are not talked about. Soccer is relegated to the lowest point in sports in America. Obviously, the NFL, MLB, and NBA are the major sports in the US and will continue to be for quite some time. But ESPN and sports media continue to treat soccer as a sub-par sport, on the bottom rung of the sports totem pole - below NHL, below NASCAR, below golf, below college basketball/football/baseball, almost below horse racing and mixed martial arts and cycling. Surely the lack of coverage, the lack of familiarity in America keeps more Americans from being able to follow the sport, much less want to follow it or become interested in it. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy: the sports networks see the seemingly lack of national interest in soccer, and cover the sport accordingly, thereby continuing the lack of interest in soccer, and repeat...

Of course, the most popular sport in the world deserves more coverage than that. When 30,000 people show up to Seattle Sounders games on a regular basis, and sports networks continue to ignore the following and the interest, they do a disservice to the whole country. Of course, I'm sure the MLB, NBA, and NFL pay ESPN handsomely to continue their near-total tri-opoly (is that a word?) of sports coverage.

It's just sad and frustrating to see soccer be deliberately not given attention only to perpetuate the stranglehold that the other major sports have on the sports media. :(

edit - riiiiight.. World Cup games... sorry about the rant :) I'll be watching SA vs Mexico, should be a very exciting opening for this year! And I'll be rooting for France to lose too :) Of course, for us it won't really feel like the WC has started until Saturday... can't wait!

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep! You've got it. ESPN, FOX, and others want to see soccer fail in this country. As long as they don't have to learn a new sport, as long as they can continue to talk about the sports that they know and get paid handsomely for it, they are happy. And you can bet that they get plenty of threats from the big sports in this country. "Kiss our butts, early and often, or you don't get access to our athletes or coaches."

It will change eventually, but it's going to take time.

Until then . . .

*@#$% England!!!!

USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! :D

- Mark

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Elliott Almond had a very nicely written preview to the World Cup in the Mercury News today.

Unfortunately, Almond's preview was deliberately overshadowed in the paper by a snide and insipid commentary by Mark Purdy, who is, charitably speaking, a disgrace to journalism. Purdy, who thinks that soccer action gets bogged down at midfield (but loves ice hockey where the center ice trap won New Jersey several Stanley Cups), who thinks that the World Cup shouldn't be called that because he says a team from Europe or Brazil is likely to win while populus China and India didn't qualify (but loves baseball and its phony World Series, won seemingly every other year by the Yankees and exactly never by the San Francisco Giants), and who thinks hardly anyone will be traveling to South Africa because it's so far away (even though if he kept up with the news he would know that more Americans are making the roughly 24-hour plane trip than those arriving from any other country.)

I'd provide a link to Purdy's drivel, but I'm not going to do the douchebag any favors. Purdy's excuse for hating the Quakes has always been that they are not "world class," and yet when the globe's biggest sporting event -- bigger than the Olympics -- comes around, all he can do is pee all over it. Purdy is a soccer hater, pure and simple, a bigot who should follow Helen Thomas out the door and into the graveyard for media dinosaurs.

9. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    If anybody's into betting, I think a good bet to make before the World Cup would be for France to miss out on the knockout round. Probably good odds, and IMO likely to happen, since France is shit this year, Mexico looks awesome, and South Africa is the host nation and would be the first host ever to end at the group stage.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France is merde this year!

11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don, I had to laugh when I saw your post because when I finished reading Purdy's article in the paper that morning I told my wife Merryl, "Purdy just wrote a really insipid article about the World Cup".

One of Purdy's big "jokes" or "points" was that when he watches soccer and the ball gets bogged down in midfield "as it often does" he tends to look away from the game and over to the stands to see how much beer people are drinking or other interesting things. But this year, he says, he will instead be looking to see how many black faces are in the stands to gauge if the WC will really be showcase for SA and for soccer or not. So if you want great sociological insights I suppose you will want to follow Dr. Purdy's future expostulations on the subject.

12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome Nike World Cup commercial. The Wayne Rooney portion is especially great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE[/ame]

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    brilliant post...

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    absolutely right...

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    [​IMG]

oh, and just for Mark...

...go England!!!

honestly, I'm conflicted on this one...born in England but lived in US since age 4...usually I root for both...
    ...but for Saturday, I'm leaning slightly towards, and expecting a dominant performance from, England.

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I speak for most people on this board when I say, I hope you're VERY disappointed come Saturday afternoon.

18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's the strange part, I wouldn't be VERY disappointed...I've always followed and supported US soccer...and hope both teams advance...just being realistic about Saturday. ;)

19. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @$%& Enguland!! @$%& Enguland!! @$%& Enguland!! @$%& Enguland!! @$%& Enguland!!

Three and OUT for the Limey tossers! To hell in a handbasket with the lot of them!

GO USA!!!

USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!!

How am I supposed to drag my ass to work Friday morning with Mexico!!! crushing SA first thing in the morning? I guess I'll be eating burritos at lunch and drinking bogus beer, because real beer would make me fall asleep, or scream randomly all afternoon! :eek:

- Mark

20. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i'm england till i die
    england till i die
    i know i am
    i'm sure i am
    i'm england till i die

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9SmXz5E1R4"]YouTube- Football's Coming Home (3 Lions)[/ame]

re USA :

where were you
    where were you
    where were you when you were shit ?

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a couple of rumors that when he got divorced, Landon actually got custody of his sack. So, I'm hoping that bodes well for team USA.

GO USA!!!
    GO QUAKES!!!!
    @#$& Enguland!!!!

- Mark

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool article.

He's going to get in trouble for this:

Dude, I get what you're saying, but there are some in this country who, you know, have no sense of humor at all.

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

- Mark

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was "sac," Mark, "sac." :)

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Mark. Although it differs a bit from the Beatles remark about Jesus. Problem is: It's true (and the fundies will up in arms).