Official who's going / who's staying...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by pepe_pupu, Nov 12, 2003.

1. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    Anybody have the lowdown on who is officially out of the MetroStars at the end of this season yet? I haven't been able to find any news...

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    "lowdown"?

So you want the official rumors about who will leave in the future but haven't left yet, and therefore aren't in the "news" for you to find?

"Official rumor" is an oxymoron, no?

It has to happen before it can become news, right?

Mathis' contract is up. Other than that, everything else is conjecture. In the world of MLS contracts, anyone and everyone could come or go. We won't know what this team will look until March. It's frustrating, but we have to deal with it.

3. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    I never mentioned rumor. I was just wondering if anybody has seen any press releases on who has been let go. It was an honest question, seeing that the season is over for the metros. I am sure that moves are in the works.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    from m-w.com:

Main Entry: low·down
    Pronunciation: 'lO-"daun
    Function: noun
    Date: 1915
    : the inside facts

Lowdown and official aren't compatible terms, but if you meant lowdown in the sense of what news is there, there is no news.

Yes, there are moves that will happen but how do any of us know until they do? Nothing happens until MLS cup in two weeks. Then you have the end of season review, and around Xmas things start happening. GMs meet, you have the pre-draft combines, trades and contract negotiations.

Really, you have to wait 2-6 weeks until anyone officially "goes", then you have about 3 months while we slowly acquire players.

Season has been over for 4 days. No news yet.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, BB basically made it clear that Galvan and Forchetti aren't coming back. He mentioned getting new players from Boca next year. His quotes were in an article from yesterday in either nj.com or northjersey.com.... I forget which and I'm not going to bother looking it up.

6. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--

You might be reading too much into what he actually said:

"It's something that can pay off... If we get the right guy, who, all of a sudden, (blossoms because) he gets an opportunity that he wasn't getting in his own country, then you might have a special player... It was it was a good faith effort on both sides. Hopefully, we can continue to work with Boca. The people there are very good."

Doesn't really create much expectation that new players are in the pipeline from Boca, the "ifs" and "hopefullys" and the possible "right guy."

I don't know what we're gonna do to get players. Two allocations, two discovery slots, a few picks outside the top third of the draft? This team has some serious deficiencies in the starting lineup (how about no real outside players to speak of?), let alone building the kind of depth that successful MLS teams have. This is the real cost of the Zambrano years (and before), that we threw away a lot of draft picks on nobodies, and our trades were so bad that we lost value every year.

We're gonna have to trade value for value. I don't know who, outside of 2003's roster exempt rookies, has a safe spot on the team. Is $120k per year Jolley that much better than guys making a third of his salary, like Jim Curtin? Lisi's certainly gonna be shopped around. I'm having a hard time figuring out who we wouldn't trade.