OFFICIAL: Ventura County FC aka LA Galaxy II 2024 Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Benny Dargle, Jan 5, 2024.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #151 Benny Dargle, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    mbar repped this.
  2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Garces with a bad giveaway on an ill-advised pass leads to a Timbers goal

2-1 VCFC

mbar repped this.
  3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #153 Benny Dargle, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    mbar repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    mbar repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Ramos ties it up stoppage time!

3-3. Going to PKs

mbar repped this.
  6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Brady Scott is dominating PKs. 2 saves to win the shootout

mbar repped this.
  7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    How can the announcer know Bibout likes to go to the left? :rolleyes:

Nice game.

8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Two points on the road (and third shootout win in three shootouts!) but it should have been an easy win. VCFC were the better side, had a header saved off the line and hit the post two times after 17 minutes. They had a 2-0 lead in the second half, then conceded three unanswered goal before Ruben Ramos Jr. scored a late goal deep in stoppage time.

I think you're all asking how Carlos Garcés played in his first minutes for the club. My answer is : he struggled. He had a couple of very bad turnovers from the back, the final leading to the first Portland goal, starting the comeback. He also got a questionable yellow card on a play where he showed how quick he was. On the attitude, it's funny how many times I said to myself "he's really looking like Yeimar from the Sounders". Overall, not a positive showing.

Nice games from Cuevas, Lepley and Parente, who's been better in his last two games. Brady Scott was once again great, and he's looking like a very solid PK stopper.

Good job from Ruben Ramos Jr., he probably should have scored early in the second half but had a solid assist on a cross to Bibout, then scored a well-taken crucial goal for the second time in two weeks. Once again Galaxy fans, remember his name.

mbar, skydog, 73Bruin and 5 others repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's troubling that a guy we brought in to be a starter is barely making the bench despite being here for weeks, gets dropped down to our reserves and has a stinker on his debut.

It's funny, I was just having a discussion with someone about Garces and I said "he must be much less ready to contribute to the first team than we thought"; hopefully due to fitness/form more so than talent.

mbar, Geneva, El Futbolisimo and 3 others repped this.
  10. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    So this Colombian Carlos Emiro Garces guy Galaxy got a few weeks back is the same guy in VCFC? Can somebody clarify?

mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Correct. The younger Galaxy players often a get a one day loan to VCFC (or GII before that) if they haven't played much in awhile and need some minutes. Vivi and Bibout are on full loans so they are officially off the roster and we don't need an int'l slot for them, but Cuevas, Brady Scott, and Perez, as well as Garces yesterday, are loaned down on a game to game basis.

mbar, skydog, LEM-LAG and 4 others repped this.
  12. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    A test for the team with no Lepley, Ramos, Cuevas, and Perez. I expect Garces will start since he didn’t make the 18 for the senior team last night, so it’s an opportunity to see if he is progressing.

Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #164 Benny Dargle, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    VCFC up 1-0 after Karani earns a PK on a rebound and Parente buries it.

1-0 at the half.

Garces looks a little better than last game. He's very strong pressuring a player and he won at least one ball cleanly in a 1 v. 1. He also has shown speed and one on play with the Colorado player coming down the far side of the box I saw Garces find his man and body him in prep for a cross, which is a good sign. On distribution, however, he is clearly a work-in-progress. When there is any doubt, he kicks it long. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing with the wingers we have on the senior team, but he's not necessarily accurate with it and has kicked it long and out of bounds.

mbar, skydog, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #165 Benny Dargle, Jun 16, 2024
  16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Colorado 2-1. Looks like Scott was beat at the near post, but the shooter was surrounded and never should have got the shot off.

Before the score, Garces also had to come off in the 60th minute with a calf cramp. In his short time in the second half, though, he had at least three great defensive plays where he basically jumped out to pressure a guy with the ball and dispossessed them. He covers a five feet so quickly that the players don't have much time to react.

mbar, natfaninla, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  17. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #167 Benny Dargle, Jun 16, 2024
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #168 Benny Dargle, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    2-2 tie. Going to the PK shootout

Should be an interesting shootout because Scott and Beaudry are both decorated GKs with USYNT experience.

UPDATE: Scott saves the Paneka on the first shot and saves the second shot too!

Beaudry saves one. It's 2-1 VCFC

VCFC wins the shootout 4-2 and gets 2 points. Scott once again proves that he is a master at PKs, saving two.

mbar, TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    One postscript on the game was that Vivi wasn't in the 18. I wouldn't be surprised if the Galaxy are calling him up for Wednesday's game with Perez out and Fagundez needed at the 10. With Garces playing with VCFC, I'm pretty sure we can use his int'l slot on Vivi.

mbar, Geneva and TrickHog repped this.
  20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Well, I was right that the Vivi omission was notable and suggested a roster move, but it was a different roster move than I expected. He's going on loan to Saprissa in his native Costa Rica.

mbar, TrickHog, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I agree with @Benny Dargle : Carlos Garcés looked more convincing in this match. He slipped on a play but had a great recovery where he showed his speed, and had an erratic pass in the second half. His distribution looked better but he took way less risk. Otherwise, he looked quick and strong and fairly dominated Colorado attackers most of the time.

Great finish from Bibout on the tying goal, but also what a run by Dalgado to give him a beautiful assist. With Pérez and Vivi out I think VCFC will struggle way more to create goals and will have to rely a lot on Bibout and Ramos Jr. Karani is terrible and is 90% of the times making the wrong move or can't execute it, and while David Diaz and Erik Hernandez have shown some glimpses of talent, they're still very young.

Brady Scott is showing every week why he seems a solid number 3 at keeper.

22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I totally agree on Dalgado. Given his position at LB, he may be the player with the most MLS pro potential eventually as he develops. I wonder if he really will honor his commitment to University of Portland and leave in August for training camp there or whether the Galaxy will sign him to at least a MLSNP contract.

hav77 and mbar repped this.
  23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that Garces was getting minutes with Ventura. Great to see! Nice clips and summaries from you all.

Great thread.

24. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog repped this.
  25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog repped this.