Official Utah pick-up soccer thread

Discussion in 'Salt Lake Supporters Clubs' started by PumaJohnny, Jun 25, 2005.

1. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be back in Utah in August and wondering where I can find some pick-up. Does anyone know where and when people get together for a little footy?

Taking an idea from the DC United forum, let's use this thread to list where you play pick-up. Let everyone know the following:
    *skill level
    *if outsiders are welcome
    *everything else I forgot

(If this has been posted elsewhere, feel free to destroy)

2. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to know who on the forum actually plays the game. I am joining an indoor league as soon as I get back to original form (Oh if not for the beer gut...) I would love to get a pick-up match in any day of the week.

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Damn, this thread is hot.

4. Takkie

Takkie Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd be up for some, if i didnt live all the way in miami.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto Takkie (although I am north of you).

I'll sticky this thread. There is also a thread on realsaltlake.org also discussing this. Maybe you can get hooked up there.

6. marsz-marsz

marsz-marsz New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Tristan da Cunha
    If you're in Provo, there is almost always a lunch-time game on the soccer field of the Novell campus. It's mostly Novell employees, but there's usually some drop-ins also.

7. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to hear about the Novell gig.

Any other office campuses near parks?

Anyone know where students at the U play?

How about BYU kids?

WSU?

Thanks

8. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find this - anyone with a link?

9. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    We play just west of I-15 @ 5300 South. The park is behind the LDS wardhouse just east of Stevens Henager College at 635 W 5300 South.

We play lunchtimes Monday & Wednesday starting at 12:30 PM for about 60-90 minutes.

10. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Does anyone play when not on a work break? I'd really hate to kill my co-workers with soccer pitts....

Anyone play recreational? Indoor? I want to form a team for indoor ball in Murray.

11. marsz-marsz

marsz-marsz New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Tristan da Cunha
    When I was at BYU, we played at the Kiwanis park (820 N. 1100 E.) The freshmen usually play on the fields North of the dorms (on 900 E.)

12. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    A couple of years ago, I moved out of Rose Park. Big mistake. I loved it there.

When I lived there, there were pickup games at Riverside Park, about 7th North and 12th West and at that park right next to the 215, about 1100 North, 1900 West or so.

13. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would love to play..... Keeper, 6'0" tall, great hands 26 years old, but a bit slow off of my line.

14. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's start some pick-up - anyone wanna lead out

It sounds like there isn't a lot of pick-up going on, or at least not a lot of pick-up games that are open to outsiders.

With that in mind, where and when SHOULD people meet for pick-up games?

Since it seems like most poster on this forum are from SLC and Utah Valley areas, let's throw out some ideas for parks in those areas, and try to set up some BigSoccer/Loyalist weekend footy.

I guess the big criteria for a potential field:
    -not being used by other leagues
    -goals are a plus, but cones and T-shirts make good goals too
    -fields by high schools and churches are usually free for the weekends
    -I wonder if the fields by BYU and UVSC are open for use during weekends
    -Are there fields by the UofU or Westminster that people can use?

Does any one want to lead out in being either the SLC or Utah Valley organizer?

15. SL_ReAL_SL

SL_ReAL_SL New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    SLC
    Hey what about Sunnyside Park? (800s 1500-1600e)
    That would be a great place to start some pick-up games. It has 2 fields with goals and has tons of space. I know that there are people that play pick-up games in the mornings on saturdays and there are sometimes games around 6. I don't know if thouse games are welcome to outsiders, but you could start some games up there.

16. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    When I lived in Provo I played with the Latinos at the middle school just north of the road the temple is on (its been a while) just off Rock Canyon Rd. Split a guys head open on a header once, felt horrible about it. Also played indoor at the Peaks Arena, but for all I know Max Rabner has sunk that ship (His wife is a great lady though).

17. Rocky J Squirrel

Nov 24, 2003
    Brigham City, Utah
    Might I point out, a "Downtown" block filling stadium will have NO room for pickup or kick-arounds before games type field. Nor for that matter a team practice field unless the stadium is FieldTurf!

18. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try this - how about we pick a place and a time and gauge interest.

Here's the Provo version:
    Who's down with meeting at the main entrance of the Smithfield House on BYU campus?

Here's a map (it's the blue building that says SFH on the southwest corner):
    http://teacherfair.byu.edu/endpages/fairmap.php

With fields to the north, south, and east (and artaficial turf inside), we should be able to find an open spot for some good pick-up.

How about July 23rd at 10 AM?

Talk to your soccer buddies and let's see how many people we can gather. If you're down, send me an e-mail or reply on this board.

Does anyone in SLC want to organize pick-up for a SLC field?

19. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Why does the team need to have a practice facility at the stadium? And who wants to play pickup soccer at 6:00 on Saturdays in the summer right before you go watch a game? Most people would rather play soccer in the morning in their own neighborhood, than go out to eat right before a Real game.

20. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I was thinking 10 AM would be better.

21. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I heard there was a pickup game at RES around 10-11am most days of the week... I was thinking of putting on my RSL jersey and playing defense. :eek:

22. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    All I know is that if someone can give me a time and place in the SL Valley, I'm there. I don't know where or when anyone plays pick-up.

23. utah_heretic

utah_heretic New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    The Spence Eccles Fieldhouse is set up for drop-in soccer on Friday nights from 6:30-8:30. The field turf is actually really nice...much better than the astroturf I grew up with. So far, the turnout is slim, but it's a sweet place to play...nets, goals and balls supplied. There are also nets up on the field just west of the HPER complex. If anybody would be interested in playing there, I'd be happy to show up.

24. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Where is the Spence-Eccles Fieldhouse?

25. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake