Official USOC DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Joe, there's probably some fraction of Metros supporters who won't embrace the cup only out of spite, but seriously, the overwhelming attitude among the typical fanatico has ALWAYS been contempt. Take my word for it.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nope. They claim their division title from a few years ago as the first. The fact that the AC is their second title doesn't console them much.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Again though, Metro fans were against it before DC won it, and there were threads when the season series was 1-1 with DC on a +1 GD by Metro fans hating the cup. Perhaps if it came from Metro Front Office instead of DCU Front office we would hate it less, but you can't claim that we only hate it because we lost it when we hated it before it was won by either team. From the aforementioned other thread on the metro board last week (before last Sunday's game):

Knave,

I certainly understand your position that the Metro faithful hate the idea of any cup that DC has won because we haven't won any. This, however, is not just sour grapes. Metro fans recognized this as a steaming pile of bullsh!t as soon as it happened. Read the following thread. It is from August of 2002. If I could find one before that I would, but search only took me back to July, and August might have been the first thread mentioning it that I posted in as that is when the talk about it got serious (with the voting, etc), iirc.

At the time this thread was stared, Metro had lost 4-2 at DC on May 18th and won 1-0 at home on August 25th, so the season series was 1-1 with 2 games to go, still quite easily within reach of either team on a +1 goal differential for DC.

The quote from Ed NYC Firm expresses the same points on August 30th of last year as we are expressing this year:

That whole thread was started by a DC who wanted to see what Metro fans thought of it. We thought it was a stupid idea. As did non-Metro fans like Bill Archer (Columbus) and Andy Mead (KC). A lot of people saw this as the lame attempt at league hype that it was. Read the below quote from a former Burn fan who is now a Galaxy supporter (story in itself, but anyway):

So, apparently the only group of fans in the league that think this matters is from DC. And that's not a coincidence?

If you want to call it Metro sour grapes, fine, we've certainly made enough whine to qualify Jersey as a part of the Loire valley. If turnabout is fair play, then DC fans caring about it is only shameless trophy hunting. The fact that you admit joy that you got to take a cup home after finishing 10th of 10 only makes us more skeptical of what it means to be a DC fan. What you're saying is that winning the season series means more to you because it has a cup attached to it, and that's 9 shades of lame. Win the series because you hate the other team and want to see them lose, not because you get some recycled kitchen aid to stick on the bookshelf. It doesn't add signifigance to Metro fans. If it does to DC fans, then we reserve the right to question what you guys are all about.

Additionally, I think you may be misinterpreting our thoughts here. Mine, anyway, are not that the rivalry doesn't mean anything to us, it is that it means everything to us. If we were to go 4-26 all year long, I would beg that those 4 wins were against DC. But I don't need a trophy to tell me that. I don't need a piece of silverware to tell me when to get off the couch and show up at the park. WE BLEED FOR METRO, not for possibility to win a trophy that signifies the winner of a season series. If Metro Front office want to put it in the reception area of their lobby, fine, but they better not think that winning that lets them off the hook with any fan who wants to see an Open Cup or MLS Cup instead.

In that thread one (one!) DC fan (Darth_Norteno) mentions he doesn't care. Good job, man. I am sure that there are a few Metro fans that do care about it, but most of the hard core ones don't, most of the ESC guys don't, and most of those that post here don't.

If you guys want to hype it, fine. We don't. If you can't understand that, that's on your inability to understand us, not on sour grapes just because we're Metro. If Metro win tomorrow, you might hear a "we've got atlantic cups in our trousers" song, but it will be to mock you guys for caring about it and losing, not because we're happy about winning it. We're happy about winning the game, happy about beating DC 3 of 4, not happy about riding home with a silver bucket in our carry on bags.

Soy de Metro

So, DC fans can think whatever they want. Metro fans will continue to dismiss it.

4. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Metro Soccer Report has video

Contrary to what I posted before, the MSR had video of Guevara's second, Warren's Red, Convey-Stoich-thruWalker-Cerritos goal, and the scrum in the 88th that produced Woly's winner. Not much anyone could have done on that last shot.

Thx,

Jay!

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I haven't mentioned it is because I care so little about it that I choose not to even acknowledge it. You say you'd go 4-26 if all the victories were against us? I'd rather go 26-4 and lose all four games to you. :)

Seriously, though. Yours was an excellent post on the reality of the situation.

6. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Jamison, I think you're distorting my comments here. I don't believe I said that Metro fans ONLY hate it b/c DCU won it the first time. I think if Metro fans had come up with the idea, Metro had named it and Metro had won it the first year, some Metro fans would still hate the idea. My position (and I think it's a reasonable one) is IF y'all had won it the first year and thus had the chance to also name it we'd be talking a different story in terms of how many Metro fans regard the AC. I don't think I ever claimed you hate it ONLY b/c it was named and won by DCU.

Haig, I know many Metro fans have contempt for it. I think very few fans would every admit to dispising it out of spite. But my take is that--if circumstances had played out differently--then many attitudes would be different on the Metro Boards.

Now you two obviously know more Metro fans than I do so you may have a better read on this than I do. Or, you may lack distance and perspective.

And no, we don't NEED a trophy to have the rivalry. Just like we don't need to have the ESC visit RFK to have the rivalry (or a bustrip of SE's to visit the Swamp).

Let me ask you: what do you think about he Mayors of opposing Superbowl cities place public bets (you know, the bushel of crabs from Baltimore against a bucket of Chicken Wings from Buffalo or whatever city is involved)? Does that make the game meaningful? Of course not. Does it create the rivalry? No. But does it get into the spirit of the competition--I think so.

In short, the AC is just one more piece of the rivalry. It didn't create it, it's not the most important part. It's not worth a big deal. But I think it's a nice addition or piece to the rivalry that does exist. That's my take anyway.