Official USOC DC United vs MetroStars POST Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    chino was subbed for geddes after the warren ejection. a field player had to come off and we were down at the time, so in that sense it made sense.

young bob convey didn't have a stellar game and i will say he did appear to be sick as he left the locker room. i would have rather seen him come out instead than chino, but i do realize that we needed an attacker, unfortunately bob just didn't have it last night.

i didn't hear anyone mention it, but mike petke was an absolute warrior last night. in the manic scramble that led to the final goal, he cleared two point blank shots off the line when jorge was beaten. he looked absolutely devestated after the match.

prideaux continued his impressive play and i thought ivanov had a nice game.

stewart had another very strong game, his free kicks and corners had some real bite to them and his two-way play was inspiring. ronald seemed to disappear at stretches but popped up nicely for his goal.

dema had a very nice game.

we had a real chance to win the game on a two man break with hristo and ronald but hristo chose to pass when it appeared a shot might have been better.

we played poorly in the first half, gave them too much space and allowed the diver to control large portions of the pitch. we played much better in the second half and played some very inspired football to tie it up when we went down a man.

but give the metros credit, they simply beat us last night. it was a good match, and played with the passion and intensity one would expect in a "big game" in mls' best rivalry.

thanks to the esc lads jawing with us at the bar. you lads sang well at the match and the bar.

rutgers is simply not a proper venue for professional football. their security staff reminded me more of grade school playground aides or something, metros ought to rethink that arrangement.

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I think he became the most expendable field player once the GK sub was made.

Thx,

Jay!

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nice to see Ray has so much faith in our probable starting D-mid Saturday. Getting yanked after 24 minutes probably does a load of good for the kid's confidence.

4. Who else would you have subbed out in the circumstances ? Another defender ? (Remember we had already swapped Geddes for Ivanov). At that stage Hudson was probably more concerned with trying to salvage the game than Chino's self-esteem. I'm sure Chino is smart enough to realize that this was a tactical substitution and not a reflection on his play.

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a great ride up, the Man in Black on the cd player and some solid soccer talk. We ended up at the bar where the ESC were gathering beforehand, some were very gracious and said hello and engaged us in conversation. There was some good singing back and forth in the bar, they have some clever songs about us that we never get to hear when we go up there because we're too far away and making our own noise. The bartender was a bit of a wank saying "English wannabees" when the singing started (hey pal, we're the biggest crowd in here tonight and paying you're tips so suck it up, punk!)

The 4 of us were trying to rework our songs to be cuss free so we wouldn't get tossed (and we managed to pull it off, that cow at Giant's stadium would have been impressed!) We had a bit of a tussle with a cranky suburbanite who wanted us to sit down (we were standing to the far left of a section and there were plenty of other general admission seats for this guy to move to). We just told the Rutgers security people we weren't sitting and that was the end of it. There were quite a few DCU staffers there, a few stood with us but the rest moved (not sure what was going on there, we could have used the extra voices).

The first goal was sweet but alas it was downhill from there. It seemed we just couldn't get it going, lots of bad passes. The tying shot was great being a man down but I just didn't see how we were going to score another. We really missed Ben, Convey was really bad. Warren and Geddes were studs considering the situation. No idea what was up with Marco, unclear if he or Ray decided if he was making the trip.

After the game we waited to see the guys come out of the locker room for the bus and most came over. Poor Petke, he was gutted. Eski was walking around with a hooded sweated zipped up real tight so you really couldn't see who it was. I just told them all, we're going to get them in the playoffs. Did get to meet Thiago Martins and Ronald Cerritos, I think they will be huge for us in the next few weeks.

While it totally sucked we lost it I didn't have the same anger that I did on Sunday. We didn't play well but we played hard and the officiating seemed to be pretty fair. My crappy sports day was then topped off by coming home to see the Red Sox lose in the 12th inning.

Here's hoping that our conference rivals beat the crap out of each other so they're nice and dinged up for the playoffs!

K

6. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Nelson THREW an elbow. It was directly infront of the ESC and I saw it very clearly. The ref obviously didn't cause a red card would have been a just call there.

Quantanilla's yellow came from a two-handed shove that the ref did see. Metro players did a good job not to retaliate on either play.

7. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    How was the crowd and atmosphere at the match?

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i was impressed by the size of the crowd. it seemed (though it may have been the angle i had) that the ESC folks standing at the far end were a larger crowd than they had at GS last thursday. they sang all night and really made some noise.

there was a group of young guys (highschool age maybe) in metro gear with their faces painted. i don't know if they are a regular group or something but they stood and cheered and came over and gave us the business. it looks like the "next generation" of the esc is coming along nicely.

the overall crowd was pretty large and got into it, especially on corners, stamping on the bleachers, etc. there were a couple of folks who jawed with us a bit--including a guy who cursed us out in front of the same security guy who hassled me for saying the word "sucks", i thought that weird.

it was good atmoshpere, worthy of a semi-final in my humble opinion.

9. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Maybe this is a waste of post #1000, but why the heck would he wave at players who are diving? If they're Metros or DC players, I'd like them to get cards, please. Simulating injury is a disgusting blemish on the sport, and it needs to be cracked down on.

10. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to say I was sitting right between your guys and that ESC u-19 group or whoever they were. Hats off to you guys for showing a lot of heart and coming all the way up from DC to support your team midweek like that. What was cool was when Earnie scored, Ray Hudson (all of 50 feet away) spun around and shook his fists at you. Our Chilean friends were mightily impressed with your Spanish songs. I'm sure the ESC guys were good too, but they were way down at the other end. Anyway, thanks for standing up for your team like that (literally). Great atmosphere.

11. Re: ... mod's note ...

Thanks, Knave

Wish I could have gotten off work to go up to NJ. Kudos to those who did make the trip.

It sucks being knocked out of the Cup by the Scum, but we put up a good fight after being decimated by injuries, down a man and fielding our backup's backup (whose only prior playing time was the last 15 minutes against ES). Much as we have genuine depth, guys like Olsen and Rimando start for a reason. Given the parity of the league, when we come up against motivated opposition like Metros in a big game, not having those guys makes a difference. Particularly when players like Convey and Q2 don't step it up.

Those bashing Hristo might want to think again. Of course, if only Brian Carroll had played we would have won the game 3-0.

Despite the depression induced by the loss I am still optimistic. When was the last time we were in the semi-final of anything ? When was the last time we had a serious chance to clinch a playoff place with several games left ? If we can reproduce our form of last Thursday, get Martins some playing time up front with Cerritos, and resist the temptation to sit back when we are a goal up, we have as good a chance as anyone else in the postseason.

BTW, how pathetic are WMET ? Their site is permanently 'under construction', their streaming server breaks down (presumably) under the weight of thousands of DC fans following the webcasts, and their AM signal appears to have a range of about 500 feet. Perhaps the United front office should look around for someone else to provide radio coverage.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Quick question for those who were there. On the webcast they said Hristo came in for Alegria. We all threw a fit when we heard this because Alegria himself had just come in as a sub some 20-odd minutes before. So it looked like a wasted sub in a down-a-man game. But I've read conflicting reports now that Hristo actually came in for Q2.

Can someone who saw the game in person settle this matter?

13. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    But you can't beat the Captain-Kirk-on-speed announcer, now, can you? ;)

14. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: ... mod's note ...

Well, maybe not only Carroll. I'm sure he would've needed some help. :)

Two years ago we were in the semis of the USOC. The year before that we were knocked out in the quarters in OT by the Fusion.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    The subs were Ivanov for Geddes, Alegria for Stoichkov.

16. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i think he did come in for chino. chino came in at the half for alecko i believe (i realize above i posted that geddes came in for chino but my sleep deprived brain is beginning to work again). i don't really think it was a "wasted sub" we were down 2-1 and hristo was the only legitimate attacking player we had left on the bench. chino was the logical person to be subbed out as presumably convey would add more to the attack and we'd already subbed out a defender for geddes. we later brought namoff in but for the life of me i can't remember for whom.

btw--i don't what the deal was, but there is a bolivian gentleman who would have really been useful last night (well actually two, as we missed the Captain in our pregame ritual).

17. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Re: Re: Re: ... mod's note ...

For those keeping score, two years ago DC United was also in the semi-final of the CONCACAF Champions Cup (the tournament was the 2000 edition but is was played in January 2001 IIRC). DC United was also in the semi-finals of that tournament the previous year, i.e. 1999. In fact they had a 4 year run of at least reaching the semi-finals of that tournament (Winning it all in 1998 of course).

18. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There have been a lot of comments about "why wasn't Marco on the subs bench?" or "we could have used him to come in."

I disagree. I haven't been a real strong Marco basher. His game has dropped. But I don't blame him for many of the team's problems the past 3 years. I think he's also had some strong moments this year. There are some situations he can be very effective in. For instance, when he's got other guys able to run and get balls. Being a man down is the complete opposite of that situation. Instead, you want people with good legs and strong lungs (among other things) b/c regardless of your style of play, when you're down a man you're going to be running like crazy--if you're trying to grab a goal (as we were). You need someone to win balls and create space with their legs as you try to deal with the extra opponent Or you're defending like crazy (if you're playing for the tie). Marco fits neither of those scenarios. And Stewart was doing a superb job on the restarts.

I know, I know, people can talk about holding the ball, etc. etc. The best option in that case would be a target man (hmm....Dante Washington sure would have been helpful--but I'm beating a dead horse on that issue).

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Re: ... mod's note ...

And, of course, there was the final of that Giants Cup fiasco later that year...

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say is we lost on another late goal. This crap has got to stop.

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aka crack boy

22. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: ... mod's note ...

Ditto in triplicate.What the hell has happened to motivated effective resources covering local sports? Sure, now you can get high school sports shows every so often, but damn if we can get any network to snatch up our college and especially our pro teams- United, defunct Freedom,Caps, or even Orioles games for the entire season. Thought the way it used to work was that rights were owned locally, and then the national's got to bargain with them over marquis matches. I swear, if another bright idea surfaces outta the FCC, .......

23. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    I noticed - I was in the celebrating crowd, but I think I might have been the only DC fan who saw him (everyone else was sort of giddily spinning). I was shaking my fist and screaming right back. The highlight of the match for me...

24. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Speaking as only one Metro fan Joe, the fact that DC won the first Atlantic Cup (and thus "naming rights") has nothing to do with why I belittle it. I thought it was stupid BEFORE DC won the initial version. To me, it seemed like the folks at MLSHQ, DCU and Metro all thought, "hey, lookit that Brimstone cup and how worked up those folks in Chicago and Dallas get over it. It'd be neat if we had one here!" So they manufactured it. Our rivalry has always been good enough to stand on it's own. It never has needed, nor do I think it ever will need, a cup to add to it's quality. DC/Metro is MLS' first and greatest rivalry. The fans care about it. The players and coaches care about it. Only 2 players are still wearing one of the teams colors from 1996, but every succeeding generation knows the fact that when DC plays Metro, it's on. There is no need for a league manufactured "cup" to somehow increase the rivalry.

As to the game, I didn't see it, but I have to admit that it feels nice that DC was the team the Metros had to overcome to beat that "never reached a cup final" curse.

Finally, good luck to your team for the rest of the season. After the start you all had, the turnaround is simply amazing. I still hope Hudson is gone when you all get Adu, because even though he's turned the team around, he still has a suspect record with youth. Also, I hope all goes well with Olsen's recovery. He reminds me of Mathis' skill and penchant for injury combined with a sane person's temper and restraint. :)

25. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Jacen, I've always respected your insights and your ability to be involved in this rivalry without foaming at the mouth.

Remember, my initial post was directed at BOTH sets of fans, the DCU fans who (in some cases) have indicated, "well, it's only the USOC cup--doesn't mean much" and the Metros fans who've belittled the Atlantic Cup.

You're absolutely correct that the rivalary doesn't NEED the Cup. And many other historic rivalries don't have one. Heck, if we want to be honest, it's truly bizarre in American sports to value much of anything other than winning the final championship--stuff like an FA Cup or a Supporter's Shield or regular season championship count for squat when you look at MLB, NBA or NFL. I don't think we have to start MLS traditions based upon what other sports do (either in Europe or especially in the USA).

I've read the arguments by most Metro fans--that it's a PR move created by the league, fans had no input, its artificial, the rivalry stands on it's own without it, etc.. I think Knave addressed some of those issues in an earlier thread on your boards.

The rivalry doesn't exist b/c of the AC. The AC may not even add much to the rivalry. But it's certainly consistent with many soccer competitions that issue Cups or trophies for things other than the WC or UEFA or European Champions League.

And in a perverse sort of way, I think the Metro fan's almost universal rejection of the Atlantic Cup increases the value in some ways to DCU fans. It just seems to highlight the differences between us.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this issue. I respect your insights. But I do firmly believe that if Metro had won it the first year (and your fans had the chance to name the sucker) then the Metro fans attitude toward it would be significantly different. It would be something YOU named (rather than a name imposed by a hated rival) and it would have been your first trophy. Maybe that's not an MLS Cup or even a Supporter's Shield, but it counts for something.