Official Unprotected List and Expansion Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Stogey23, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    The protected list will soon be announced. Please put it here, along with all Fire-related Expansion Draft discussion.

2. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I read that all teams must submit their protected players list to the league by today (Monday) at 5pm. However, are these lists going to be made public?

3. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    IIRC, they will be released Wednesday afternoon.

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Rumor is circulating that MLS pushed back the deadline to submit the lists until tomorrow to let teams take full advantage of one day trade window.

5. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The draft is at the end of the week right? I think that's what Wynalda said during the final.

6. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Friday at 4pmEST. Live on ESPN News.

7. Since no one else is speculating, here's my list:
    Protected: Unprotected:
    Ralph Marsh (hope no one takes him)
    Herron Perez (hope someone takes him, please)
    Armas Selowane (ditto)
    Mapp Boucicaut (ditto)
    Curtin Clanton (hope no one takes him)
    Brown Ibrahim
    Razov Griffin
    Ring Buete
    Thornton Gray (had a rough year, but I hope he's back)
    Pause
    Jaqua
    Capano

8. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets wait and see what happens today as far as trades go before making a protected list. Was there a time given that the trading day ends,5:00 pm or midnight?

9. Cyclone

Cyclone New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Unless I've missed something (likely) you forgot Countess (expected to be taken by RSL, I gather.)

10. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I pretty much agree with you except for Marsh. Are you kidding, if they let Marsh go that would be a HUGE mistake, it won't happen. I mean c'mon.

11. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
  12. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Dude, speculating is SO last week.

Later,
    COZ

13. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    Another small piece of the puzzle in place, dev/p-40 graduations announced on chicago-fire.com:

"Automatically protected are the Fire's three Developmental Roster players - goalkeeper Matt Pickens and defenders Denny Clanton and Leonard Griffin - and the team's lone Nike Project-40 Program member, midfielder Craig Capano, leaving decisions to be made on 20 of the team's 24 players. The Fire will release the names on the protected and unprotected rosters this Wednesday, Nov. 17."

here's a link to the article

So, DJ and Nate graduate as expected.

14. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This concerns more of a deduction of reasoning, but rumors are that Jonny Walker of the Metros won't be protected, and he is bilingual, so that would leave me to reason that based on the facts Zach Thornton is probably going to NJ.

Why?
    DC originally wanted Thornton, but Rimando, one of the most underrated gk in MLS proved himself once he got 100%, and played great in the Eastern Conference Cup and MLS Cup.

So scratch DC. Chicago would prefer Henry Ring because of his good year, and age, a big one age.

So I think reasonably, the Metros might be looking to acquire Zach from the Fire, and as rumored Ante Razov.

15. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    According to the blog on Matchnight.com, MetroStars have exposed Johnny Walker for the draft. If there was a clearer sign that Zach is going east, this may be it.

Bill Q.

16. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With all these moves of Fire players to the Metro, I may have to switch teams just so I can know some of the players...

Seriously though, if a trade is made that involves Jessie or Armas going for Pope, that's rediculous. Pope isn't going to last another full season.

17. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Armas and Zach for Magee and Clark. (plus whatever picks to balance) I'd make that deal.

18. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in Parke and you've got a deal.

19. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Even w/o Parke. Good value for ZT and Clark offsets the loss of Armas on the field while Magee comes home to make good. Salary would be the killer on the Metros' end but ZT's salary is pretty low now so maybe not. Picks can be used for defensive help.

But if they offered Parke i wouldn't say no.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That would be a hell of a deal for the Fire. Two guys past their primes for two guys who haven't hit them yet. It's not like we're gonna play Zach anyways. I know Armas has been the heart of the Fire, but he's 32, oft injured, and we finished dead last in the league. Although, we don't want to be like Kenny Williams and make unnecessary trades just to shake things up.

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen, I wanted to see Miguel Olivo mature with the Sox as much as anybody, but I still don't consider it a bad trade. We got Freddy Garcia (3.81 ERA) in the deal, who signed a long term contract and is going to be damn good for us. They also threw in Ben Davis, who batted about .290 after joining us, and got some very timely hits along the way. It may not have been as good as the Nomar trade, and Jeremy Reed is definatley going to come back to haunt us, but it was a decent trade nonetheless.

As for Everett and Alomar, we gave up almost nothing to get them, and that's exactly what we got in return. :(

22. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, how is it that the fans of every other team have their expansion draft unprotected player list, but we don't? It just seems odd that the only fans with an "ask the GM questions" thread are the last ones to get an answer.

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because we never started a "Ask the coach questions" thread.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Actually I was thinking of the Keith Foulke for Billy Koch trade.

25. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Well, here it is:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38308148

Fire:

Henry Ring
    D.J. Countess
    Orlando Perez
    Scott Buete
    Evan Whitfield
    Alex Boucicaut
    Andy Williams
    Dipsy Selolwane

"We believe Zach will be the better person to have in our net next year,'' said Fire general manager Peter Wilt. "He is a proven champion. We are fortunate to have the choice of two outstanding goalkeepers. It was a difficult decision to make."

Hopefully they'll do us a fever and take at least one of Perez and Whitfield. BTW, what a crappy draft we had when our top pick is left unprotected.