Official: Union's Eleven - Part II

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ChefJim27, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does need more playing time. But I think his aims are bigger than Union now (is that possible?).

Besides, DP choice (which Gooch surely would be) is decided on a combination of level of skill and ability to generate buzz. I am not sure Gooch qualifies for that outside of those of us who already watch MLS.

3. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a total vulture but does anyone watch enough USL to know whether the Carolina Railhawks have some quality players?

RailHawks no longer in USL
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/soccer/story/125958.html

"The RailHawks currently -- as well as several other franchises -- are not renewed as USL franchise at this time," he said. "At the same time, the players remain under contract with the Carolina RailHawks."

"But because the RailHawks are no longer part of the USL, their players are no longer signed to their current contracts as professional players, according to Tim Holt, USL president, who sent the notification to the players on Friday."

(ADD to that list the USL2 Wilmington Hammerheads who won the league in 2003)

In other words, we could sign a guy from them without paying a transfer fee even if his 'contract' runs until the end of time. Seems like the same can be said for Minnesota Thunder and Miami FC players. I smell discount shopping time...

4. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Matt Watson; first met him when he started playing for the Baltimore Blast, actually have the first jersey he ever wore for the team. Really nice guy too.

He had an off year, but was the MVP of the team last year. He's also played for Richmond in the USL-2.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fairly certain the USSF has so far disagreed with the USL's opinion on the players' status. So they would therefore enforce some kind of transfer fee or at least a negotiation between the former USL teams and MLS.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Railhawks, Miami FC, Minnesota Thunder, Vancouver Whitecaps, and Montreal Impact (along with Tampa Bay Mutiny and a potential St. Louis franchise) are more than likely leaving USL to form their own league. The only reason why the Railhawks, Miami FC, and Thunder players have received their "You're contracts are null and void" email is because they aren't playing right now. I'd imagine Vancouver's and Montreal's players will be getting their emails next week once the USL finals are done.

I also question if USL can even void the players' contracts. Don't players in USL sign with the team, not the league?

7. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Isn't Vancouver sort of joining MLS in 2011? I realize it's not technically the same club, but are they only joining the new league for one year? is Vancouver going to have two teams? Is the former-USL, now new-league team going to be a developmental team for the MLS side? Is what's left of the USL team going to play somewhere else?

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver and Montreal have both committed to forming a replacement team in the new league if/when they leave. Vancouver is rumored to be interested in forming a team in Edmonton and Montreal is rumored to be interested in Quebec City. As far as developmental team for the MLS side... Excellent question. Saputo has said the new league would not be a MLS farm league, but Vancouver has been very good about setting up developmental programs and using those programs to feed their upper division team.

9. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, that throws a wrench in the bargain-shopping aspect a bit. Although I wonder how those players will handle being on a 'team' without a league or, potentially, in a league with it's official standing in some sort of grey area.

I don't want to take us too far-a-drift from the main convo, so I'll leave the question open, does anyone watch these clubs enough to know of any players worth picking up or taking a hard look at?

10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My pick for our first-year DP: Oguchi Onyewu. He needs rehab and playing time before the World Cup; we need a defender and won't have to dump salary to sign him. Plus we have the first allocation. It's a perfect fit!

Read my blog post for more:

Onyewu's Next Move: An Entirely Self-Serving Analysis

11. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it! :D

12. sara_laughs

sara_laughs New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try to read the blog later when I have a few more minutes, but honestly, I wanted Gooch before he was injured last night. I'm very excited at the idea we could possibly pick him up.

And I'm so over the VB10 phase of my life. He's so yesterday. :p Kid played with my emotions too long. Now, even if he signs, I'm just not that enthused anymore.

13. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought the exact same thing last night about gooch... i dont see it happening though. he hasn't played in the states since his days at clemson. if anything he'll try to get loaned back to belgium or something.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we are talking all of the "rebel" teams in the USL, I think there are at least roleplayers out there, if not out-and-out potential starters.

Just look at the USL All-League members. MF Daniel Paladini of Carolina, MF Ricardo Sanchez & DF Lawrence Olum of Minnesota,

Vancouver and Montreal had some too, but I would think both organizations will "help" those players stick around til MLS time for those clubs.

I can see the headline now. "Gooch conquers Belgium, Italy and all of Europe. But his greatest test will be the City of Brotherly Love".

15. duce2424

duce2424 Member

May 4, 2007
  16. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I remember that Gregory Richardson guy from those Joe Public-NE Revs games in the CCL. Not a bad stat line this year either - 10 Games, 5 goals, 3 assists, impressive.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stewart might be worth a look, just like Chicago and Salt Lake did, but that will be it.

18. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Espindola from RSL after I saw that sick goal wednesday I was in love. I hope we can get him in the draft.

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Espindola is nice because he is only pulling in a salary in the mid 40's. However, he is a hot head that gets himself into some real trouble at times. I would take Findley over Espindola but I don't believe either will be available ni the draft (since Yura is leaving I think they protect those 2). A forward that I do like that might be available is Renteria from Columbus. He is hard-working and is a real handful for the opposing defense. Basically he is the kind of player Nowak would like to have.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys, but no way in the world RSL lets go of either Espindola or Findley. But I guarantee Yura Movsisyan will be on that list...maybe even Clint Mathis. ;)

[​IMG]

21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    You forget that we are talking about RSL. You know, the team that left Kreis unprotected and had to scramble to get him back after TFC selected him. :D

I agree wholeheartedly though that neither Findley or Espindola will be available. I'm not quite sure who on RSL would be exposed that Nowak would want though.

22. VegasPlayer

VegasPlayer New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here is a possible for you. Herculez Gomez from Kansas City. Traveled veteran from Galaxy, Rapids, Wizards. Appears to be in the "doghouse" with Vermes. Lots of energy, hard worker and salary in low 50's. Bet he goes unprotected.

23. Philadelphia City

Philadelphia City New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Plus there will be better options to pick from Columbus.