Official Tommy Thompson Thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by fadedtoblack, Jan 17, 2014.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    It's $125k + the minimum salary, so around $190k. I think TT and Lima sit at somewhere around $180k.

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Marcinkowski? Same?

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think he's lower, but I haven't found a good reference for 2020 salaries. His 2019 salary was $147k guaranteed. TT $174k and Lima $218. Those are all 2019 numbers. So I guess Lima counts against the cap. Not sure if all or just the part that's over the HG limit. He's still listed as an HG.

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To do so would require he invest in a network of scouts and develop strong ties with local leagues, none of which he has shown the least bit of interest in doing over the past 12 years, so yeah - don't hold your breath...

markmcf8 and Quakes05 repped this.
  5. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Homegrown Player Subsidy
    • Homegrown Player(s) in Supplemental Roster slots 21-30 may earn in aggregate each year up to $125,000 above the Reserve Minimum Salary (if occupying slots 25-30) or Senior Minimum Salary (if occupying slots 21-24).
    • Clubs may use up to $200,000 of their currently available Targeted Allocation Money to sign new Homegrown Players to their first MLS contract, subject to League review and approval. Targeted Allocation Money cannot be used on a Homegrown Player previously signed to MLS

Slots 21-24
    • Slots 21-24 may be filled with (i) Senior Minimum Salary Players ($81,375 in 2020), which may include Homegrown Players, (ii) Generation adidas Players, (iii) any specifically designated players eligible for the MLS SuperDraft; or (iv) Homegrown Players earning more than the Senior Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy .
    • All players in slots 21-24 must be paid a base salary that is at least the Senior Minimum Salary ($81,375).
    Slots 25-28
    • Slots 25-28 may be filled with (i) players earning the Reserve Minimum Salary ($63,547 in 2020) or (ii) Homegrown Players earning more than the Reserve Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
    • Reserve Minimum Salary Players must be 24 years or younger during the League Year (age of player is determined by year - not date - of birth).
    • These slots may not be filled with Senior Minimum Salary Players or Generation adidas Players.
    • All players in slots 25-28 must be paid a base salary that is at least the Reserve Minimum Salary ($63,547).
    Slots 29-30
    • Slots 29 and 30 must be filled with Homegrown Players and will follow the same roster and budget rules as Homegrown Players occupying roster slots 25-28.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Man, those rules are complicated. Imagine someone like Almeyda coming into the league and looking at that.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No they aren't. Ever filed corporate taxes? ;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they aren't too complicated, but I can understand a international coach having issues with it, but Tata didn't seem to have a problem.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I mean relatively speaking, compared to other soccer league "roster rules".

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Earthquakes just reported that Tommy has agreed to a new multi-year contract.

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sactown Soccer, markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  12. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nice for Tata to have Bocanegra as GM to breakdown the idiosyncrasies of MLS. You need someone in tune with that stuff if you're a coach coming from the outside. A Leitch Almeyda combo would work very well, imo....but we're stuck with Fioranelli.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not exactly a Jesse fan, but Leitch is already with the organization. If he has that expertise he could already be helping Almeyda with that aspect of things, without being promoted to GM.

14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Jesse doesn't trust, value or like Chris Leitch.

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Exactly my thinking. Wasn't that one of the main points of the "insider" comments. Basically, Leitch and presumably Russell's opinions were not being considered...Take it with a grain of salt, but it sounded like Fioranelli wasn't listening to any of the older guard who had years of experience in MLS...

JazzyJ repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's not that he doesn't have the expertise. His input needs to be valued. I'm guessing that the language barrier doesn't help either.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  17. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard this from a number of people. It went along with what I already thought. The disregard and distancing as much as possible from the 96-05 club gives me that evidence.

I feel like Jesse and Matias are trying to build a new identity, but that identity isn't success its coming out as a cluster for whatever reason it may be. Eventually eggs fall though. If anyone gets expended first, I have the high suspicion Chris Leitch is the scape goat.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That is my gut feeling also, but I could be wrong. I think Jesse values having the MLSy / American guys around, but more as a "B" team. Again, I could be wrong. Just a sense I get.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2494 JazzyJ, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    This is kind of a no-brainer, right? If they keep him under the HG max, he stills counts for 0 against the cap, and even at that he's not even change falling out of Fish's couch cushion. And then he's very versatile, a good PR person, at least somewhat bilingual now, etc. I think he probably should have won the Andrew Bedard community award again this year with all of the stay-at-home practice videos he created and shared, Soccer Without Borders, and other stuff he's involved in, but I think they wanted to give it to Wondo in case it's his last year.

I still think he's Sac bound in a few years, but we'll see...

20. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    What nonsense.

I know Chris pretty well and he works very well with Jesse. They do collaborate a lot.

I understand why Leitchy does not want to be the coach. Coaches are essentially temporary jobs. Chris wants a stable position with the Club. He does not want 2 or 3 years of who knows what success and then gets "fired" for good or bad reasons. He wants to stay in San Jose and he loves working with the kids in the Academy. And he is pretty good at it.

And he is in sync with Jesse's plan and Almeyda's too, (if I understand Matias's position) that we build with youth players. For all the silly whining going on here in this forum, Jesse and Almeyda have committed to a youth program and I was pleased to see all the young players that (mostly) came up through the Academy to train with the first team and for some (e.g. Cade Coewell, JT), to get meaningful minutes. And Chris is quite happy to work with the whole program to keep delivering young players into the mix.

Dallas has done well using this model and that is the Quakes plan as well. And, indeed, it does take time for the "kids" to mature and work their way through the Academy. There is a HUGE advantage to using HG players because of their tiny contribution to the Cap. This leaves room for higher valued journeymen players and DPs.

And, I can't get excited about Ian taking the team. The craving for Ian is consistent with the "grass is greener" syndrome that I see in many posts here. Ian has done a fine job as Reno coach. In a lower level league with weaker players, weaker competition and less speed of play. He might do OK, but I don;t think he could hold a candle to how Matias manages the locker room. I could be proved wrong but I don't think Reno's success is any compelling indication of how Ian would do at the MLS level.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I never heard that it was Leitch's decision not to continue to be coach of the team. The quote I read was that Jesse decided he wanted to go in a different direction. It could of course be some combination of the two, but I think if Jesse had asked him to stay on he would have.

I don't think we know for sure how well Ian would do. But I don't think his success in Reno is meaningless either. He brings in new players every year, they've been one of the best USL teams every year, he has had to juggle partner's (Quakes) goals (including style of play changes) with the goals of his team (competing in USL), his team plays attractive attacking soccer, etc.

Also, many if not most of the most successful MLS coaches have been MLSy guys (former players, and in some cases USL coaches): Schmetzer, Vermes, Curtin, Vanney, etc. For that reason I think we should be careful about doubting career MLS / USL guys just because they don't have significant intl credentials. Leitch still holds the best PPG of the last 4 Quakes coaches, and he did it while changing the style of play and much of the lineup midseason. Ian is not Chris but I think Chris showed what an MLS guy (sort of next generation after Dom / Yallop) could come in and do with the Quakes.

Sactown Soccer and Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    I am not saying that Ian would not do well. All I am saying is that, for me, I do not see any compelling reason why he would be some kind of miracle worker beyond Matias. He is likely to struggle, as others have, with how hard the job actually is in MLS.

And that goes for the GM job too. Both jobs are incredibly complicated and I expect anyone new to have to work hard and make plenty of mistakes to learn how to do the job well.

23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof?

Was it not the synopsis for Ian to go down to Reno and get players ready to potentially play for San Jose? Develop as a coach to move up eventually? How come all these guys that have been suggested to us have been rejected but have some how found their way to other teams, after deem them not good enough?

I think Leitch is good for the Academy, but we haven't gotten any higher valued journeymen or DP's, (yet), so that has proven to be a false statement as well.

Frank handled the locker room well, and the team sucked major ass, same for Matias.

Dallas is about 6 years ahead of us when it comes to developing players, we are still fixing the mess Paul Holocher fcuked up.

People want a welcoming change, people want a guy they can get behind. Whether Ian coaches us or some one else, it will be disappointing if he coaches another MLS team and ends up successful when he could have translated that to us. We've digressed under Matias from his 1st year to 2nd year and saying anything other then that is absolute bull shit. We finished 16th overall in the table, and finished 15th last year. If we are blaming JF and Matias Almeyda, then we need to start blaming Chris Leitch to a a degree if he's part of the mess JF and Matias have created. 3 points to a triangle.

Caleb Porter was one of the nations best college coaches, and he translated that to the MLS game immediately with Portland and now the Crew. USL is a higher level then the NCAA, so I believe Ian could do a good job. I think he'd handle the league better then Matias.

Either way I'm to the point I don't care who coaches this team, we will suck either way.

I refuse to suck the dick of the PR Front Office Hype, we are building bull shit. I've heard it since 1996, don't need to continue hearing it now.

24. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also should ditch the GM role, and have a GM/HC combo with a TD. Bruce Arena has done it successfully with Onalfo as the TD, and Bruce as the GM/HC.

Vermes is also of the same feather.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #2500 JazzyJ, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    I don’t think anyone’s saying he’d be a miracle worker. But it isn’t always the case that new guys come in and struggle. Schmelzer came in midseason I believe and won an MLS Cup. Chris came in midseason, changed style of play and much of the lineup and wound up with an equal PPG and better win % than Dom that year. We should not underestimate what kind of insight MLS guys might have into what it takes to win in MLS. It seems to be the intl coaches with no MLS experience who tend to struggle more initially, and they may never figure it out.

jeff_adams and SeaJayBee repped this.