Official thread to discuss the whoring of our shirts (a.k.a. the shirt sponsor thread)

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by SoftTackle, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So HSG will be the sponsor? :ROFLMAO:

burning247 repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's national headquarters in the Metroplex. I know AT&T sponsors a team in Mexico (Club America?), any of these others good fits? Always seem to be oddballs that sponsor FCD.

3. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    #503 Hitman, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    NEC.

- at least by all accounts, which include 1st accounts of people who've seen the jersey w/ the logo on it. For those that don't know, NEC is the company that developed a LOT of tech in the HoF for the Hunts and USSF.

Why they would want to spend $x on putting their logo on an MLS team's shirt is a bit of mystery to me - which makes me wonder if there's some sort of trade going on here. Hunts have struggled, historically, to find a sponsor who'd pay the money for all sorts of sponsorship opportunities across the club - the jersey sponsor is one of them. NEC isn't a consumer brand in the sense they would want to promote themselves this way, and I'm not aware of them on any other sports brands. They're a B2B tech development company and that is the one aspect of this rumor that has always made me wonder if it was really true. Then I question if the value of the tech they've developed is equal to the sponsorship. Who knows? If it happens and HSG and NEX are happy, it's better than Advocare.

It's been so long since I first heard that NEC is the new sponsor - it's entirely possible they no longer are. but those of us who track such things, they are the front runner.

( i should admit here, for no particular reason, I've still never been to the HoF)

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does NEC have any brands or companies they could put on the jersey instead of NEC itself? I remember when Kellogg had rights to the Burn but Frosted Flakes was what showed up.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Neither have I. Isn't that weird? I'm trying to figure out why I'm in no hurry to go.

6. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright who does good mockups?

8. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Not any consumer products I'm aware of... they used to be the leader in high end monitors, NEC is what you wanted back in the CRT days.

cowtown and Pegasus repped this.
  9. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite TV of ours as a kid was our 32" NEC. For the shirt sponsor, I JUST WANT THIS:
    [​IMG]

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually have an old 1280x1024 NEC LED monitor. It's hooked up to the house's NAS server, and does nothing but display the character-mode FreeNAS login prompt, for which it is more than adequate.
    I went to the old place in Oneonta back in 2008. It was fine. There was a lot more about the modern history of the game in the USA (a.k.a. everything that came after the start of the NASL in 1967) than before, for obvious reasons.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    yeah, we learned this a couple of weeks ago. it appears that NEC either pulled out of the deal or what we'd been told/shown were pitches to NEC to get them to buy the position. But considering what MTX does, makes me wonder if NEC has ceased their partnership with FCD/HoF. It should be noted the article on the FCD site tells us this deal wasn't consumated until literally the last few weeks... Makes one wonder if MTX hadn't shown up what Dallas would have done for a sponsor.

side note, the owner of this new company is a character. He openly tells people he is "going to buy the Dallas Cowboys". He also is the company that created the stir when they won the Texas contract tracing contract for $300M and no one could see any previous work or scale for such a gig. It was supposed to be done by end of 2020, was not, and no one's sure who got paid for what...

He also has been accused of fudging his resume and experience.

they launched a site today that uses their "MavQ" AI platform to take a pic you give them and insert it with the jersey... the results are, uh, less than impressive.

I also wonder what all of those fans who were excited that Advocare was leaving the main sponsorship felt when they realized they're still on the sleeves.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Very...interesting....

At least it looks good on the shirt. Hopefully we made some money on it.

14. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me its a mashup of Montana/Texas which I approve of. ;)

15. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now the speculation shifts to the 2021 away jersey. Will it be boring white? NO! Of course it won't! It will be boring white, but with stripes on the shoulders! And an MTX logo on the front.

As far as the shirt sponsor, as long as it's not the local booby bar, I'm good with it assuming the check clears.

16. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    the new 2nd jersey is powder blue - and will look not far from the jersey Buzz posted back last April (we've known this color change for quite a long time).

SabreKhan repped this.
  17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neat! I actually searched for a leak before I posted that, so Buzz's article must have been buried by the Google algorithm. I found it when I added "blue" to the search terms. I actually saw it the first time around and apparently forgot about it.

That will make us one of only 7 teams in the league without either a white or black jersey (unless Seattle, Nashville, or Colorado's new one is white/black). Unfortunately, of those 7 teams, 4 of them will have light blue shirts in their wardrobe. And depending on how those three aforementioned go, we could end up with every single team having black, white, or light blue (some with two of those).

To be fair, Houston's got orange stripes on their black one, and Philly has lightning bolts on their blue one (which I actually quite like). I also like that Orlando's jersey turns purple-ish when they sweat. So there are some interesting variations. But when I'm channel surfing, I would much prefer to be able to immediately identify the teams. When I turn on DC United vs. LAFC, I have to wait for the closeup shot to tell which team is which.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also like the idea behind the lightning bolts (Ben Franklin). So who is our Franklin? We could put log cabins as a salute to John Neely Bryan! Our early history isn't too exciting but maybe others have a better take.

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think the Taco Jersey should have been a real thing, if only for one game.

ElJefe repped this.
  20. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    here's Buzz and Dan's final mock up of what they believe the new away kit will look like.

Attached Files:

ElJefe and Quaker repped this.
  21. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
  22. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought for sure we would start to see everyone's face mash jersey pic's in here, so disappointed ;).

23. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    cutting edge technology

Attached Files:

boneall repped this.
  24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know that FCD probably had little say in this but it just feels too SKC for me.

25. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Actually it was driven by the club. The concept is the old Tornado kit.

cowtown and burning247 repped this.