Official Thread: Kroenke Buys Rapids, New Stadium planned!!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by LuvMLS, Sep 23, 2003.

1. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Thought I would go ahead and do this!! Great day! Great day!!

2. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky bastards ! MLS Cup in Denver, 2006.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we can lift MLS Cup before 2006 and then host the same event in 2006.

I can't wait to sit in the supporters section in a Denver SSS at the midfield line. :)

4. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    location 3x

any idea where this stadium is gonna be? Hopefully near the bars, as I will use both

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Congratulations, Rapids fans! :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp SSS count: 4 down, 6 to go (not counting the expansion teams)! :cool:

-G

6. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    I love the timing of the announcement. Just a little kick to the Rapids, especially the youth on the team, to take us to the cup.

I can see Spencer kissing the cup right now with his man of the match banner slung over his shoulder.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations fellas.

Absolutely fantastic news for Colorado and MLS fans everywhere.

8. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    YUP

The rapids are going to be tough to beat.

A great day for the colorado players, their fans, and all soccer fans in the U.S. I loved this quote from Garber:

"We call The Home Depot Center the cathedral for soccer in America. It’s not about the suites. It’s not about the beautiful pitch and it’s not about the fact that it is appropriately sized. But it’s all of those things together that celebrate the sport. What soccer needs in this country is to have these beacons that can drive the growth of the sport and bring new people to it. At the end of the day the sport is very successful at the youth level and very successful at other levels. And to make it successful professionally, we as a League need to be that focal point – the portal which the rest of the sport comes through. The way to do that is with a home.

I think this statement more than most others by Garber or anyone at MLS shows me that they do have the right vision. They are focusing their efforts, using the necessary resources, and clearly see the future for MLS.

A very exciting time for MLS...2 stadiums currently, 1 being built, 1 essentially commited to, the Fire moving back to a renovated Soldier Field, the Metros working on a stadium deal, the A-league Rhinos building a facility, etc, etc... Just very promising in my opinion.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Congrats on the new owner!

I guess those 60,000+ July 4 crowds paid off in the end.

Sachin

10. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Congrats to all Rapids fans.... this is a great day for the club, its fans, and all the soccer fans in this country. MLS finally looks like its going in the right direction.

2006 should be an amazing year for the growth of soccer in the US.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    One thing... if I were the head of the Mile High Club, or whatever the supporters club is called, I'd get on the phone with KSE and introduce yourself and ask how you can help. Talk about wanting to help sell season tickets.

Sachin

12. Bobaloo142

Bobaloo142 Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Someone should start a "I love Stan Kroenke" thread.

Congratulations Rapids fans, I can't wait to see the plans of the new stadium!

13. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats from Metroland. In the short term, I hope KSE can give the team's web site a shot in the arm - It looks like crap!

14. Renegade of Funk

Renegade of Funk New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Room 237
    And then there were 5?

I echo the congratulations!!

A very interesting comment! Could it be 3 to go? 2 to go? Check this out from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-soccer24sep24,1,2530517.story?coll=la-headlines-sports
    "AEG already is set to build a stadium for the MetroStars in Harrison, N.J., to open in 2006, and is planning facilities in Chicago and Washington."

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Congrats!

Every little bit helps. I love to visit there in the summer, so this will add to my summer vacations.

I agree with the guy who said this may contribute to a home field advantage. Altitude+home atmosphere. Should be interesting.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but the "60-90 days" gang are rumored to have a Harrison stadium opening in '06 as well. And you know how that goes. NY will get first dibs if you both have stadiums open the same year.

No matter how it shakes out, I'm all for the final being played in three new stadiums in three consecutive years.

Can anyone really remember '94? I have to admit that it's getting blurry.

17. mlsfan11

mlsfan11 Member

May 20, 2001
    Daly City, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats

Wow you guys/gals must be "stoked". Congrats with the new ownership AND a new stadium. The sky is the limit for Colorado . . . -from a jealous Earthquake fan!

18. J.A.

J.A. New Member

May 10, 2003
    Denver
    I'm double damn stoked.
    And to think.... In May It sucked to be a Rapids fan.
    Today, I'm on the sunny side of the street.

19. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah what a turnaround!! Went from crappy season to making a run at the Cup, New Owner, New Stadium in the future.

20. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    Yep. It was a great time to be a soccer fan, as it is now.

Good job, Denver. We're happy for you here in LA. Hopefully the proposed stadium will be more like the HDC rather than Crew Stadium. But don't be surprised if your stadium is called Wal-Mart field. ;)

21. dc the winning tradition

Mar 31, 1999
    $$$

Just wondering if anyone had any idea what the price was for the rapids? anyone have an educated guess at what kroenke paid or is he just taking them over and paying the bills from now on? what is an mls franchise worth right now?

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: $$$

I really don't know, but I know that some rich guy (doesn't even have to be a billionaire) needs to buy DC United and help get us to the next level as well!

23. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: $$$

Doesn't some rich guy (Uncle Phil) own you guys right now???

24. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  25. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Except for the tailgate ban, I'll take that. :D