Official Tacoma FC 2006 Thread (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by sounderfan, Apr 15, 2006.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Tacoma FC Joins Soccer Ranks

[​IMG]

SounderCentral.com will follow Tacoma FC in 2006! Click the link above to see a photo of the club's 2006 home stadium.

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Re: Tacoma FC Joins Pro Soccer Ranks

I'm glad to see another team take over for Spokane, but how can it be considered "pro soccer" if the players aren't paid?

3. Deschamps10

Deschamps10 New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    NYC & Paris

It's not pro soccer and league rules state that no PDL club shall refer to themselves as professional. A professional stance will have all college players on a scholarship being revoked. Pro + PDL is a big no,no

4. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Good to hear Tacoma getting a team.

Lots of potential for soccer in that city.

And the smell has gotten better over the years.

5. tmaker

tmaker Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Seattle

Exactly. PDL is the top amateur league in the country. Hence the "developmental" aspect. The upside is that Tacoma FC, like the other PDL teams, will have a solid base of collegiate players to draw from who can maintain their amateur status before they decide to go professional.

If I were at PLU or UPS, I'd be a happy camper over the news. As a fan in the area, though, at least it's another team to watch. And of course as a ref...more games and less travel.

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

The TEAM have nothing to do with MY choice of words, which have since been changed from "pro" to NW (Northwest).

Welcome, Tacoma FC! Hope to catch a few matches as you are actually closer to me than the Sounders are!

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Geez people, you could tell that was Sounderfan's choice of words.

We all know the PDL is amateur. He was just posting some news which I appreciate.

Good lord.

Some of you are wound up tighter than a virgin on prom night.

8. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
  9. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

I'll ask the mods to change the title for me, seeing as my ability to edit has expired.

Not pro! Not pro! Not pro!

Of course, here's hoping they evolve into a 'professionally run" PDL franchise. Would that be ok? :p

10. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
  11. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It looks like a great stadium for a PDL team. Maybe if it goes well for them, they can also add a W-League team.

13. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon

Good news for soccer in the Pacific Northwest!

14. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003

Yep. Maybe they'll even be professionally operated from the start instead of "evolving" into it. ;)

There's no NCAA reg that says if the team calls itself "professional" or "professionally run" that, just by itself, means a player who wants to preserve his remaining NCAA eligibility can't play for that team. If all the players are amateur and all NCAA rules are followed, the team can call itself "professional" and it won't matter to the NCAA.

Of course, it might matter to fans who buy tickets who think they are going to see a bunch of "professionals" playing soccer when they are really gong to be watching amateurs. ;) Also, it might cause undue alarm to an important constituency-- the NCAA players (and their coaches) who the team recruits.

15. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

With 24 days to go before Tacoma FC's first match, I just hope that the "cut/released" Sounders trialists head south and play there. Otherwise, it might be a long first season for Tacoma.

The Puget Sound has some of the best upcoming talent in the USA, so no reason to think Tacoma FC won't eventually be quite good.

In any case, I am planning on going to the May 12 match and reporting back. People shouldn't expect much other than an open gate at the stadium at this late point.

The club was announced just a month before the first match is scheduled.

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

sf,

If you can, take some pictures and post 'em on your website.

I for one, am glad to see soccer in the Tacoma area. All they have is the Rainiers and that minor league basketball team which I'm not sure are even operating anymore.

Soccer can make it in Pierce County if done properly.

17. mati

mati New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Seattle, WA

I'm very excited to see Tacoma FC Joining the PDL. I would be very interested in working with them to get a few matches broadcast through GuerrillaFootball.com. If anyone knows who I should be talking to about this please put them in touch with me at mati@guerrillafootball.com. Thanks and congratulations Tacoma FC.

18. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

Tacoma FC tryout dates announced:

20. mati

mati New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Seattle, WA

Tacoma FC's first match is going to be podcast on GuerrillaFootball.com. the match will take place Friday May 12th at 7pm and the audio broadcast will be available within 48 hours after the match through GuerrillaFootball.com.

I'm looking forward to seeing these guys play. If anyone knows a sponsor who might be able to help fund more broadcasts throughout the season, I'd love to talk to them. mati@guerrillaFootball.com

21. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Tacoma FC opens this weekend (R)

May 12....Abbotsford Rangers @ Tacoma FC, 7 PM
    May 13....Cascade Surge @ Tacoma FC, 7 PM

Curtis High School, Viking Field

[​IMG]

The new PDL team in Tacoma, Washington, has chosen blue and yellow as their official team colors. The club will wear blue on the road and yellow at home.

Tacoma FC are flying under the radar as they prepare for TONIGHT's first-ever match in Tacoma against the Abbotsford Rangers. Not even a small online mention in the local paper. :(

( http://www.TheNewsTribune.com )

Tacoma FC will play at Curtis High School's Viking Field. The club will have a "name the team" contest sometime before the 2007 season. Tacoma FC are a hastily assembled club that replaces with folded Spokane Shadow PDL club.

Links:

http://www.tacomafc.com/

http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2006/4480101.html

roster:
    http://www.tacomafc.com/roster.html

22. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Re: Tacoma FC opens this weekend (R)

Final was 0-0.

Tacoma FC with a good goal called back for offsides, second half.

Photos on the way...

23. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

[​IMG]
    #10 Chris Raymond on the attack for Tacoma FC!

More photos from Jenni:
    http://soundercentral.com/gallery/TacomaFC2006

24. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001

Damn...nice!

I like the yellow but wish they would utilize it better then the Villareal "Yellow Submarine" look for their home kit. Maybe yellow shirt with white shorts. Break it up a little.

25. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

[​IMG]
    Tacoma FC's first-ever starting line-up.

http://soundercentral.com/gallery/TacomaFC2006