Official Sydney FC Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by tfoz, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think a Western Sydney franchise would currently hinder Sydney FC, and I wouldn't want to see it for another 2-3 years.

Its FC's own fault that they havent connected with the football community in Sydney, but they have to be allowed time to get out there, and they should do ASAP and get their act together.

Whether its giving cheaper junior tickets, cheaper tickets to club football players, they really have to work at it to promote the game and get bums on seats. At the moment, you hardly hear ads on radio promoting the game, and nothing on tv, apart from the general A-League ad.

They need to get people excited about going to see them play, and they're not. With Juninho & Patrick in the squad, they should even try to get more Brazilians to the game, even go the tacky novelty Brazilian themed game day, something, anything.

We should be at least having 20,000 to a game, and really be up around 25,000 in a few years. So far we havent even hit 20,000, which is disappointing, and the management of FC is to blame.

I also think a Western Sydney team would go well, even better than FC, but they should allow FC time to improve before they unleash a second Sydney team.

2. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

Hmm Indeed. This may sound kind of strange to a club like this, then again the club is under-performing markedly off the field, so this may suggest they aren't quite as competent in some areas as one may expect. Anyway, is it possible the FFA can give Sydney FC a helping hand, in this side of things? Not so much financial or through advertising (They have their limited ad campaign already), but more through advice, or like technical advice in this area?

Melbourne somehow does so well. Other clubs like their neighbours Central Coast are also seeming to do well. Why can't Sydney learn from these clubs. Is the board stubborn, blinkered or lack the expertise? Sydney has been accused of being too focused on a Marquee player etc... But certainly they can multi-task?

To be honest you guys get called Bling-Bling and all that, but the reality seems different really. Well especially post-Season 1.

3. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What he said. :D

4. Azzballz the Great

Azzballz the Great New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sydney
    3-3 against the Glory in front of an abysmal crowd in Perth.

Take what you will from it...

5. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A brace from Brosque, plus one more and still a draw...
    ouch.

6. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    SFC fans should be thankful for the point. 3-1 down, Perth were all over the Blues. Probably the greatest escape in the clubs history.

7. Lolonearbyyolo

Apr 17, 2006
    Section 138
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Brosque got his last in the 90'.

Nice!

8. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm hoping that Brosque moment to draw the game with the last kick might be the kickstart our season needed. If that doesnt get the confidence up, and some joy back in the team, nothing will. ;)

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In other matters

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league...rowing-incident/2007/10/13/1191696234044.html

11. Feggs

Feggs New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Sydney
    Anyone else heard reports that Sydney have signed Micheal Bridges
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bridges

Sounds a fairly astute bit of recruitment (apart from the fact our strikers seem to be just hitting theior straps).

12. Azzballz the Great

Azzballz the Great New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Sydney
  13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    To be honest I'm not sure about this signing. He started off well, but has spent the last few years with an injury plague, with only one decent season in the last 6 or 7, and that was in League 1.

I'm sure he will do okay if fit, but I'm worried he might end up being another Brian Deane.

I still don't know why we are still so obsessed with England. I still think that we should be looking at Asia for some imports, before the lower leagues of England.

Here's some confirmation from the BBC which is usually reliable, and some other links for info on Bridges.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/7045818.stm

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/63097,dwight-sells-sydney-to-bridges.aspx

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22576482-5006068,00.html

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Even at 50% he's still good value, he has to be the unluckiest free kick taker, with from memory, about 4 hitting the woodwork so far this season.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22593259-5006068,00.html

15. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    I haven't seen any of Sydney's games, including the Glory one, but the comments by Culina about Juninho seem a bit out of the blue to me :?

Juninho at 50% has still had a decent impact in some games so far. I remember he's been responsible for setting up a couple goals so far this season, for Brosque. He's hit the woodwork or come close with some longer range efforts on goal too.

As El-Capitano said, even at 50% he's still good value, doing better than your average A-League player. He's still creating and contributing.

But yeah, it's unfortunate he has these chronic injuries I guess. And his wage is quite huge :( . But hopefully his fitness can improve to the point where Culina considers him over 70-75% then he'd surely be considered worthy enough to persist with ;) .

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Really? Has he been reading some of my rants on here? ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league...uninho--for-now/2007/10/16/1192300768442.html

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In other news,

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/debut-on-hold-for-new-boy-bridges/2007/10/16/1192300768445.html

18. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Hehe in regards to crowds, off the field etc... Peter Turnbull leaves etc.. But it seems it takes the FFA to make comment for Sydney to come out and suggest they're going to do something. Plus, Sydney FC have a SHY Chairman?? :eek: The new days at SFC I see, far from the days of Bugno :p . Ah well, he seems to know his football, with his assessment of the squad and season so far, at the end of the article.

And yeah Bridges may be actually pretty good. Certainly he has decent credentials and is still fairly young. Only injury has really held him back. I'm kind of surprised he's been stuck in the Championship in recent years, as he's been a Premier League player for alot of his career, I think.

This is one Englishman, that the A-League would surely be happy to have. He's certainly NO Briane Dean, for sure!

To be honest I don't want to write off that American, but this recruitment could be an upgrade for Sydney and in a position where they perhaps sorely need it, in the striking department?

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well hopefully he will work out! :)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/a-league/bridges-impresses-culina/2007/10/18/1192300955179.html

20. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Disgraceful fucking performance! This is getting beyond the joke.:mad:

21. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    On paper you've got a good team. Do you boys think the problem is the coach, the players, or a combination?

22. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    I don't know. The players don't seem to gel. Never seem to get the ball anywhere near the box, and when they do the ******** the finish up.

23. Ronaldob4hegotfat

Ronaldob4hegotfat New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Australia
    I went to the game last night. Pure garbage. Lucky I got the tickets for free.

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well- thats a crap note to finish this thread on, but it seems like thats the way this season is heading. Hopefully Culina can pull a rabbit out of the hat, otherwise he's heading towards that wooden block with the axe leaning against it, very, very soon.

Head on over to this thread to continue as we've hit the 500 posts.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613084

Sydney 'Till I Die! :)

[​IMG]