Official St. Louis Cardinals Death Watch

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jmeissen0, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Jack Buck, Darryl Kile, Darrel Porter, and now Enos Slaughter have all died this year.

Jack was a hall of fame radio announcer, having started out with Harry Carry as Cardinal play by play guys.

Darryl Kile had been an ace for the Houston Astros, Colorado Rockies (sorta), and finally for the St. Louis Cardinals. His death was the most tragic, as he was still an active player.

Darrel Porter caught for St. Louis for a few years back in the 80's, leading them to two World Series, and one World Series title.

Enos Slaughter was a hall of fame player for the Cardinals, who helped keep the Boston Red Sox streak of not winning a World Series alive by "out racing" a throw to the plate in the final 10 yards in game 7 of the 1964 Series. (as fellow hall of famer and Cardinal great, Stan Musial put it)

so who is next?

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Classy thread.

He was never a Cardinal per se, but a huge fan of theirs and he's carried enough water for them to replace some of the aqueducts in town. If I had a choice, it would be.....Bob Costas.

3. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Mark McGwire (sp?)

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    That was the 1946 series, actually.

Don't mind me. I'm just an anal-retentive ex-sportswriter.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Re: Official St. Louis Cardinals Death Watch

i thought the 60's seemed a bit off

thanks tim

6. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    How are Stan the Man and Joe Garigiola doing these days?

This is eerie thinking about it.

I am rooting for the Cards though. I hope they win the World Series (if they have one).

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i wonder how well the white rat is feeling these days... i believe he was on hand for ozzie's hof commencement and his unveiling of a statue outside of busch stadium

busch may not be the greatest stadium in the world, but it's really cool to walk around and check out the statues and what not... a lot of great players and all

i think gibson will live to 150... just cause the grim reaper is afraid of him, like everyone else ;)(matt morris was afraid to talk to him last year, after winning 22 games...the last cardinal to do that since gibson... naturally gibby had to break the ice :))

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Red Shoendist (spelling is no where near correct, but if you follow the Cards, you know who he is) still alive?

That dude has to be near 95 by now.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    yeah, but i think there is someone older that they keep in the dug out... baseball got rid of him last year because technically the cardinals had too many coaches

this sent the cardinals into an uproar, he has been doing that for years and years and no one had ever said anything... he really had no role, they just didn't feel like telling him to stay home or sit in the crowd, so they put a uniform on him and let him hang out in the dug out

unless i am all screwed up and baseball was hosing red