Official Small Rocks League Thread 2006-2007

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by ibreak4coffee, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coach Wiggum beat me by literally seconds and snaps up Lita.

Jermaine Defoe had left Kopite Juniors only to be called back in and cost the club 4 points.

Shoulda posted before making the transfer, dammit.

Defoe is in the managers office being reassured he is really wanted at the club and the manager is hoping he responds with a hattrick against Man U tomorrow.

2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Tight week at the top of Small Rocks so far. Top five teams all sitting on between 38-43 pts after the Saturday matches.

3. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    All about the TH/MU match tomorrow.

Speaking for the Powell's, we would enjoy a friendly 0-0, with great games from Fletcher, Carrick, and the like.

The big stars all stay very quiet and enjoy a Sunday stroll in the park. A nice, friendly 0-0.

4. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Speak for yourself! I have three guys in that match, though one appears to have stepped in a puddle and now needs an amputation (Mr. Saha, I'm talking to your fragile personage).

5. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tottenham vs Man Utd.

I'd enjoy a friendly 10-0 as well.

:D

No need for Berbatov to get all the goals. Ronaldo can score a couple of own goals, if he likes.

That would be really friendly of him.

:cool:

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Oops. Lost 8 pts in the gamble.

7. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Getting tired of waiting for Gallas. His return date has been a two week moving target now for over a month. Saved Gallas and gave away Lescott and AJ. Must make sense to someone. Now besides his injury I have the "doubtfuls" to deal with. Always something, right?

Out:
    Long , F RE 5.1

In:
    Bouazza , F WA 5.4

Bank 8.3

New Roster:

Bouazza , F WA 5.4
    Henry , F AR 14.1
    Hulse , F SU 5.9
    Milner , M NU 5.9
    Arteta , M EV 6.4
    Stewart , M WA 4.5
    Mendes , M PO 5.6
    Young , M WA 6.3
    Murty , D RE 3.8
    Ferdinand , D MU 7.0
    Gallas , D AR 7.0
    Bridge , D CH 4.0
    Taylor , D PO 6.0
    James , GK PO 4.8
    Reina , GK LI 6.1

Might as well try to pick up a cheap double, if not a cheap EV defender as Bro would advise.

8. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Always looking for a new approach, the Yellowcake Phantoms are using the "Phantom" substitute move. But I have discovered the plan. Hide all your guys who have double matches in the gameweek on the bench. Then they will spring into action with the substitute transfer, but that will occur on the 21st, when no one is watching. Hopefully.

As always, time will tell.

9. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Regarding a "stealth" sub policy of my own, I bring in a striker, who is not in the lineup, and hide Murty, who gets 6 from the Reading shutout, deep on the bench.

So far so good with this plan.

Reading has become relentless. Can top 6 be far off?

C. Ronaldo not making the sqaud could have much greater implications than any of this.

10. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    That would have been the cheeky thing, no?

Alas, this just happened to be an insane week at work and I never checked out the weekend's fixture list.

11. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As much as I love to needle Hal for his self-congratulatory ways, mainly because he tends to self-congratulate well in advance of any activity that might be self-congratulation-able, I have to hand it to him this week because he could conceivably reach 95 points. He has another Everton HOME match against a dispirited Spurs. A shutout and two goals by AJ would give him 12 more points for his captain Lescott, 6 more for Howard and 12 more for AJ, exclusive of Howard's saves and other bone-eye, for a 91 on the week. Considering bone-eye, his ceiling is probably 98, and if Spurs wake back up, his floor something like 64. This with MGP hurt!

C'mon Huddlestone and Lennon, if you kids don't do something, my chances of catching Hal this season are nil. On another topic, is this it for Jol?

12. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    See I would agree with you normally, but I do the research, watch the fixture list, and plan accordingly, and I'm probably not going to break 40 points this week. Its so dispiriting that I cant do anything but throw my hands in the air, become inactive in the hopes that will solve my problems, and start getting to know the Very Small Rocks crowd better for next season.

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hi, I like wolfs, lions, nikkala and obscure African occult practices.:) My eroding dreams of joining the Parump Prudes and Mr. Wu's clean-up crew at the big boys table now rest on the health of a dutch ankle:eek:

14. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    SmallRocksLeague.com updated to show that Hal didn't quite reach 95 and Spurs did indeed wake up. This is why I don't gamble--Everton shutting out Tottenham was a lock with the key broken off inside. The question now is, with Henry out for a few weeks nursing that sore foot, and thus likely to miss his double gameweek, can Hal get to second? The phone lines are burning up at Mother Powell's place, as my brother asks her to work overtime baking cookies for the sporting Frenchman. We've had a nice Jones/Powell/Jones/Powell thing going, but a certain pilot wants to break formation and upset our weave.

15. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Final report on the "Phantom" transfer routine uncovered more than a week ago and reported on here. All three double-gameweek troops got transferred in, leading to 16 points. So the plan worked, although the "Phantom" portion was lost due to skillful investigative reporting by yours truly. Not sure that losing his Captain, and number one scoring player in the league, was part of the original plan or not, but that's what it took to get all three to come in. Denials by the plan's originator are expected.

The "Phantom" plan was much more successful than my own. I left 15 points on the bench in my first two subs. Chose to pickup a cheap striker for the double and picked the wrong one. There was hope after the first match, when my guy did not play, that my first sub, Hulse and his 9 points, would come in. But no. My guy gets in for 45 minutes in the second and picks up a yellowcard for his trouble. Zero points, and no sub. Great plan.

Another short gameweek and fielding an 11 is an issue again. A fairly consistent story line. Most other have a similar problem. Yellowcake had to jump for a goalie as both on his roster were not going to get a match. Darr may field a team of 6 or 7.

Need to talk to these EPL Managers. These Cups, like the FA and the Carling and the Champions League, are fine, but you need to get dumped out earlier as you are messing up my fantasy scoring. Get the priorities straight.

16. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not to keep going on about this, but can the gods throw me a bone? I had Hyypia all year, and he hardly got off the bench most weeks. I drop him and Michel picks him up this week, and he gets a clean sheet and goal, and likely bonus points. In fact, he's going to score more on his own than 8 of my 11 players that had games today. Its official: I've given up :(

I'll excuse myself in advance for any inactivity...

17. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Such a sweet transfer move.

I don't usually like to pick-up cast-offs but when I do I usually have a little hunch that I need a certain player and then see them dropped into the pool; for the lifesaver to jump in with his rubber arm bands.

:eek:

That was the case with Sami Boy.

I looked over his lack of playing time and only 1 assist to date.

My thoughts were, that if Benitez were to include him (as the rumour mill suggested), Sheffield United would be the right opposition for a goal and a clean sheet.

:cool:

And so the team break into song:

"Thank you for the twelve points, FC Springfield, thank-you very much, thank-you very, very much.

Thank you for the twelve points, FC Springfield, thank-you very, very, very much.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The fans, still in the stands, hear the players in the dressing room, and start a song of their own.

"Division Two, welcomes you..... FC Springggggggggg.... Field, Division Two, welcomes you..... FC Spr..... ing Field."

Let's hope there's enough spring for you to bounce back up.

:D

19. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aaron Lennon was grateful at his one-day unemployment--it almost shrunk his head ;) . Kidding, nothing could do that. What a massive disappointment he's been for a second- or third-rounder. I've had Dyer for six weeks, and he's almost caught up to Lennon on points. I decided to replace with Hleb for his extra two remaining games, though who knows if he'll play them.

20. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Thought I had better post a roster, what with all the changes flying around.

Bent, D. F CA 8.5
    Henry F AR 14.1
    Hulse F SU 5.9
    Milner M NU 6.0
    Arteta M EV 6.5
    Petrov M AV 6.9
    Mendes M PO 5.6
    Young M AV 6.3
    Bridge D CH 4.0
    Ferdinand D MU 7.0
    Gallas D AR 7.0
    Evra D MU 6.6
    Taylor D PO 6.0
    Weaver GK MC 4.1
    Riena GK LI 6.1

It is especially true now, "You can't tell the players without a program."

21. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    As noted on the FPL Forum, you had to be up pretty early to get your pick of what could very well be a BIG week. Gameweek 29 could go a long way in deciding the various placements. And the movement toward AR, CH, MC and AV double-gamers created some interesting castoffs.

I said in the Forum that I was looking a AJ, Lennon, and ?. Well the ? was Richards from MC. Spend the morning at work and return to find them all gone. This is a tough crowd.

The Arsenal guys are the toughest to figure. Their schedule is Carling Cup, then the FA replay, then the first EPL (gw 29), followed by Champions League, then another FA (assuming they win) and then the second EPL (gw29). That's from 2/25 to 3/14. How can anyone figure who will play or not with all that going on.

See, Benitez finally got something right! Dump out of these "other" things, and focus on EPL and CL. Kopite Junior is loving it.

However, Mr. Benitez will still be "Butt-head" in this house. Where was Reina in this 4-0 shutout?

22. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Um, if you get sent off in a Cup final, what does that mean in terms of suspension? Can the FA make them serve during league play? Can they add games if the guy acts like a true asshat?

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes,:mad: :mad: :mad: just when I finally had 3 heathy strikers the one with a double gameweek is an arse true asshat

24. 1800-WorldCup

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't normally complain about the bonus points but how does Newcastle's Martins get 2 bonus points in their 0:1 defeat?

Of course, as I have Martins..... I'm not complaining.

:rolleyes:

25. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well of course dont think FC Springfield would finally catch a break either... my only guaranteed 180 minutes from next week in Kolo Toure is now out... :mad:

Someone really wanted to make sure I couldnt succeed this year.