Official Rugby World Cup thread (lots & lots of [R's])

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Oct 10, 2003.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Andrew Mehrtens is good, but not in the class of Wikinson or even the likes of Flatley in goal kicking. The All Blacks had good kickers, they just couldn't get through the Australian defence.

Anyway, the third place game was played today. New Zealand played their full team, while France played a second string team, but bolstered it with better players after half time.

Final score New Zealand 40 - France 13.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/rugby_world_cup/3285433.stm

2. Iverson

Iverson New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Just over 6 hrs away from kickoff for the world's biggest rugby game in the last four years.

England v Australia

Can't help thinking that this game is going to go down to the wire. All of Australia is pumped for the occasion and the travelling english supporters are going to be in full voice, about 30,000-40,000 are expected to be at the game.

Should be an awesome game. I'm feeling very excited and nervous at the same time.

Hope the Aussies make it back to back.

3. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia started the strongest, scoring a try in the first few minutes but since then it has been all England.

Halftime: Oz 5-14 England

4. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    After 70 minutes...

AUSTRALIA 11-14 ENGLAND

Tries: Tuqiri -Robinson

Conv:

Pens: Flatley (2) -Wilkinson (3)

D/G's:

H/T: 5-14

Time in Opponent's Half: 45%-55%

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scores are level!

Flatley kicks a penalty goal for the Wallabies in the last minute!

14 for Australia, 14 for England...

6. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    After 80 minutes...

AUSTRALIA 14-14 ENGLAND

Tries: Tuqiri -Robinson

Conv:

Pens: Flatley (3) -Wilkinson (3)

D/G's:

H/T: 5-14

England really should have this game won by now, but Elton Flatley scored a penalty with the last kick of Normal Time!

7. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Wilkinson puts England back in the lead!!! 17-14.

8. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    WORLD CHAMPIONS

Phew
    What a friggin game!

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I cannot believe how much England dominated the game but couldn't finish Australia off. It was like there was a mental block every time they got a chance to score. Unbelievable nerves.

I think everybody knew that it would be Wilko with a drop goal to win it :D

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: WORLD CHAMPIONS

20-17, England, the final-- on virtually the last kick or touch of the game.

I don't think one could have asked for a more thrilling end to this tournament that this game tonight, or the way both teams battled in extra time.

England just wanted it more; not at all a case of Australia "choking" (contrary to what my wife has been ranting on about for the last ten minutes or so).

11. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fantastic game, congratulations to both teams for putting on such a great game in the final. The Wallabies showed a lot of guts and determination to come back in the 2nd half, then come back again in extra time, but were denied by the best kicker in World Rugby, Jonny Wilkinson with a drop goal in the final minute.

The Wallabies did Australia proud tonight, and even though I'm disappointed at the moment, there has to be a winner and a loser and unfortunately for us, tonight was England's moment.

12. Milos

Milos Member+

Sep 6, 2003
    Iacon
    Club:
    Coventry City FC
    Congratulations to the boys! What an emotional rollercoaster of a game. Towards the end I had butterflys and was so nervous, but then Wilkinson with a drop goal in the last few seconds it turned into jubilation! Great game.

13. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    you;ve either got class or you havent I suppose.
    and the aussies havent got any..

No Im not talking about rugby skill,im talking about their little media campaign.
    no class whatsoever.

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    The last three minutes of the extra time were great. I thought the Wallabies were going to delay my dinner another 30 minutes with that penalty goal and send the match into another Extra Time, but what a clutch kick by Wilkinson.

I am not much of a rugby fan, but this final should be pointed to by every rugby devotee to illustrate how exciting a match can be. I really enjoyed it.

16. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    You're not kidding.
    It was tiring just watching and the last 10 mins were unbearable.

I think it was the only part of today's match that followed the script.

Man, great tournament with a great final. And a couple of tries just to keep the Aussies happy.

17. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I set my VCR for the 1am telecast. I promised a friend of mine who's from Fiji that we'd watch it together Saturday morning.
    Damn, I'm glad I waited. Ours stomachs were in knots from the second half on.

18. Iverson

Iverson New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Fantastic game!

As an aussie I'm disappointed we lost, but the game itself was absolutely thrilling and you couldn't have hoped for a better final.

Congrats to England for winning their first and the northern hemispheres first rugby world cup.

19. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

i saw the match in french on FRANCE2 and it seems like an idiotic game and i don't understand it one bit i mean a team gets the ball and then kick it away just for that the other team would do the same thing and all that's silly "scrum" stuff not to mention i couldn't figure it out when a penalty kick is given and when it doesn't(american football is much better no comparison)but i'm glad England has won

but what i've wanted to ask if after the 20 min the score would remain tied the two exosted teams would have begun a second ET period?

20. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    seems like you would like Rugby League a lot better than Union.

21. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    what so different in RL other than they play 13 a side instead of 15?

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Rugby League doesn't have the stuff you don't like. No silly scrum stuff and no getting the ball kicked to you and then kicking it right back. Also less penalty kick goals and drop goals in league because they aren't worth many points. The empathis of League seems to be to try to score tries where as the empathis of Union seems to be to try to score points.

23. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Great game, fair result. The best team over the last 12 months won, and the Aussies went a lot further than I thought they would (I didn't think they would make the semis)

And speaking of Rugby League, good to see the Aussies won that at least, 18-12 over Great Britain to take the series 3-0.

24. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, and the first to score would have won

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rugby League is rubbish, there is plenty of kicking because you only get so many attempts to run the ball before you have to transfer posession. Play stops at the first successful tackle and there is still scrumming although it's a token effort. There's a reason why more people like Union and now the best league players are always changing code.