Official Robbie Fowler new contract thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by 655321, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Does he get one? Does he deserve one? Rafa isn't acting like he's too convinced.

It's my opinion that we should keep him. He knows that he won't play as much, but he'll accept that. He'll also take a small contract knowing that his fitness is not what it is, as much as he doesn't really need the money. His presence this season has been outstanding...let's not forget the goal run we had recently was started with his first since returning. The other players really respect him and no one wants to be here more. And clearly he can still bang them in.

Influence + value + talent = a new contract.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a single word: Yes

3. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs a new contract, sign him now. He is the only forward that seems to be able to finish lately. Hell if you are concerned about the money, then make it incentive based. He'll work his ass off, he loves liverpool

4. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, for all the reasons stated above.

He's clearly still valuable to the club. Keep Crouchy and Fowler as our strikers and bring in some new blood. Morientes and Cisse don't provide us with much, if anything, and Robbie at least knows how to put it in the back of the net.

5. browfish

browfish New Member

Knew I should've started a new thread... :)

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There should be no hesitation over the extension of his contract. I think he's done quite well since he arrived in January and brings an invaluable presence and experience to the team which we haven't had up front in a while. Morientes never fit in and he'll probably go, Cisse can be a liability but does bring a certain quality to the team which we need and so does Crouch.

Fowler would be such a great asset to have come off the bench in important games. Come on Rafa!

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I could come up with several reasons why its a good idea to give Fowler a new contract, but not one reason why it is a bad idea. It should be a no brainer.

Hopefully Rafa is just holding out to keep Fowler motivated for the remainder of this season.

8. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    Didn't Rafa already hint in an interview, "it'll be good for the club, it'll be good for the fans and it'll be good for Robbie". I thought Andy Gray mentioned this after last weeks match. Heck.. I think Robbie would pay to play.

9. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    There's an idea. Since Robbie has all the money from his real estate dealings, why not offer him a new contract on the condition he buys the club another striker? :D

I can already see the newspaper headlines: "Out-of-favour Fowler to Kuijt: I bought you!" :p

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my eyes it is either him or Pongolle. We should be in the market for a striker similar to both in the summer. That would give us 3 such players [not including Cisse]. It would be a tough case to keep all 3 playing, especially with Gonzo coming and what seems to be a gameplan based more on efficient wing play.

Emotionally, I want Robbie to stay. But I think it's a lot closer to 50/50 in Rafa's mind than we may want to admit.

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    with gonzo being a winger, I'm not so sure he's going to be competing with Robbie for a spot...
    but I think we have seen the last of FSP/LeTallec in the Red, so I'm not concerned on that front.
    but Robbie would be the best 4th striking option would could have. nobody would bring the heart/desire for the club that he could in that role.
    and the idea of making it incentive based would probably be fine for Robbie, especially if it ends up being a one year contract with the possibility of further one year renewals (if he stays with us next year then isn't offered another contract, I could see him simply retiring at that point rather than moving to another club).

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I've a feeling that this is closer to the real reason as any.
    Judging by who we have as strikers Robbie is as good as any of them, we'd get a lot more money by selling off the others first.

"Pre-contract head games enhanced by the tabloids"

13. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    How has FSP been doing at Blackburn? I'd rather not get rid of him.

14. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    About Robbie:

I pray to a Red God that Rafa does the right thing. To say he must do what is "sensible" is a no-brainer. Of course Rafa must do what is best for the club.
    So lets look at what Robbie is good for:

1. He Bleeds Liverpool.
    2. He does not require a high salary....being the rich bastard he is:D
    3. He is an absolute predator in front of the goal
    4. He works as hard now as he did 10 years ago.
    5. He scores.
    6. He is one of the smartest footballers in the game.
    7. He bleeds Liverpool.

Sounds sensible. Is it an "emotional" decision??...maybe....every time he scores ANOTHER goal....

CMON YOU REDS BRING HOME THE FA CUP :D

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I think that the combination of Fowler's willingness and the fact that Rafa is cognisant of his importance to the club will force a deal through.

But really, he's the only proven finisher we have on the strike force right now.

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    oh, help! not a Dutchman!

17. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I just looked up the stats, and Fowler has more Premiership goals in the last month than Morientes has all season. I am lost for words trying to describe this situation. Though words like shocking, pathetic, embarassing, and "£6.3m" spring to mind.

18. ram1

ram1 New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    In your Red Dream.
    I hope Rafa makes it happen. Its good for all sorts of reasons.

19. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. docliver

docliver New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    at least one more season and then let him retire as an even bigger cult hero than he already is. I think he deserves it because he has brought so much fight back to this club . In every liverpool fans mind he will be our hero know matter what happens at the end of the season.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Out of Cisse, Morientes, FSP, Le Tallec or Fowler is there any really any argument?

Fowler is the only one who is still scoring, as well as being the reason for my favourite ever managers quote by GH... "eat da grass"

No doubt- of all of those- it has to be Fowler.

22. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "If he can keep scoring it will be easier for me," said Benitez. "We all know he has a lot of passion for the club. I know what I want to do but I need to talk to my staff.

"We will continue working with Robbie. When a player is playing every game he cannot improve a lot in his physical condition.

"We cannot expect to see the best of him now. Perhaps in pre-season we will see him progress but we need to decide on his future first."

Those quotes made me think that Rafa is leaning towards giving him a new contract. I guess we will have to wait and see.

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with Suss. Rafa has always said that Robbie knows what he needs to do to earn that contract. I also think much will depend on whether we keep Sinama-Pongolle as much as Robbie's own fitness. My suspicion is that another striker will join us, Rafa will keep Robbie and jettison Cisse and another from between Morientes and Sinama-Pongolle.