Official Road to London 2012 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by goru_no_ura, Dec 26, 2008.

1. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't like Higashi much today to be honest, while Otsu really surprised me during this tournament. I had never followed him much and thought that the very few playing time he enjoyed at BoMo would have affected his performance, while he had a good tourney overall.

2. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I think the best player that this U23 can give to the JNT is Nagai. Obviously not the last injured one but the one we have seen press, push, run and simply threaten the opponent defenses with his mere presence.
    Another "rough diamond" could be Otsu (he clearly showed some interesting skills and he's playing already in Europe).
    And I'm hoping that Yoshida, thanks to this olympic experience, will find some new club where to improves too.

3. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Why people don't consider Otsu to be world class even after today, is beyond me...

4. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    About Otsu,

He went missing several moments during the olympics, however he was the only one that could take a challenge and not crumble under the pressure... his movements off the ball were also important, not to mention the 3 goals.

we´re all used to notice only the "talented" players but to me, Otsu was something that made all that system work. (yes yes... not only him..but all of them could´ve done better, but yet again, they are still developting)

5. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    What exactly is your definition of world class?

6. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Always being on the right spot, always finding space, 90 minute stamina, great pace and vision, craftiness and bold playing, extremely comfortable with the ball, knows how to put them in!!! Being basically unstoppable.

7. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Otsu is nowhere the complete player he can be, maybe when he gets more opportunities at BM. But I've been really impressed by him (Even in the qualifiers), he's been the only consistent scorer for the team.

I thought Usami was gonna be the x-factor player, but Otsu looks like he's able to produce moments of magic as well.

seolseol repped this.
  8. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    He deserves a team where he can play cuz the guy HAS the skill to impress. A lot too. Hope to see another score by him in the bronze final.

9. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Mexico won 2-1 against Brazil.
    It could have been us.. anyway, congrats to them.

olimpialv repped this.
  10. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can't believe this threads been up since 2008. sucks to end things on such a sour note but after the obligatory day of mourning, I'm not displeased at all with how this tournament went for us. We sent in a young amateurish squad with little initial ambition of going far and ended up playing the maximum six games. Let's remember that our abysmal 2008 Olympic squad basically became our present day NT that's capable of butting heads with the best. Based on our youngsters' performance and the prospects for our current NT, I'm really really excited about our future. Let's do this!!

11. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I really hope we will see the final product of this olympic adventure as soon as possible, maybe in the incoming CC2013 and WV2014!

Whispered11 repped this.
  12. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
  13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This has been good. The players got 6 games international experience under their belt and certainly didn't disgrace themselves. That experience spent on guys like Yamaguchi and Higashi is much more worthwhile than having Hasebe & Honda being called up as OA players and getting a medal.
    Definitely more worthwhile giving experience to Otsu than having Kagawa there.
    Yoshida being captain has been good for him. Suzuki stepped up mostly.

You only have to see the example of how much Shinji Okazaki exploded after the Beijing games to understand that we will probably have a few surprises as to who pushes on from here (cause Okazaki sucked in Beijing).

flymordecai repped this.
  14. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I love this video so much :)

15. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think the U-23 Olympic squad was always meant to give up-and-coming players the international experience to help them in the future, the next step forward. I can certainly understand why Yoshida was called in. among all the senior position, Japan have many great experienced and talented players except for the Center-back, mainly Yoshida. he seems like a weak link, just read all their 2011 and 2012 senior matches, CB been a weak spot and Yoshida was critized many times. But this tournament sure seem some wonderful improvements from Yoshida.

Both men U-23 and women's played the maximum 6 matches and though it didn't work out the way we'd hope, they'll sure gain some wondrous experience in London 2012.

16. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You can't even rate Usami or Saito becuase they weren't given adequate chances. Poor coaching/selection/player rotation was the main reason for the teams demise. That being said what a bright future Japan has.

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Hard to say that about Usami when he's been very poor every time he came on. Saito is another matter.

18. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Giving him a run at the 85' mark in the game was asking quite a lot. It takes a special player to automatically pick up the flow of the game.

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    He played against Honduras and was pretty bad.

20. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who wasn't though. He left the JLeague way too early, Higashi wasn't any better.

21. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    he wasn't any better, feels like nobody including me really likes him anyway, but he doesn't diseappear the way Usami does. Remember his performance vs Mexico before the tournament, that was just aw-ful. We can't afford to play with 10 men.

The problem was more about Higashi being the viable option ...

22. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    http://www.youtube.com/olympic

If anyone cares: All matches (as well as in fact all sports competition by all countries) can be watched here in full and in 1080p.

Saku² repped this.
  23. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
  24. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan