Official Red Devils EURO 2024 thread

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Blondo, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Turns out we'll get two away games in March instead:

23 March 2024 Ireland - Belgium
    26 March 2024 England - Belgium

Both EURO2028 venues; planning ahead.

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The FA keeps planning ahead. Adds 2 more years to Tedesco's contract, until WC2026. De Winter receives his first call-up.

The squad for the March friendlies:

Casteels
    Sels
    Kaminski
    Bodart

Svilar not eligible as he reportedly filed a one-time switch (to Serbia for a friendly v. Qatar). Courtois should be fit well ahead of the Euros but... (time will tell). Vandevoordt will have to wait it seems (until NL?).

Castagne
    Meunier
    Vertonghen
    Debast
    Faes
    De Winter
    Theate
    Deman

Theate is playing OOP and instead of second stringer Deman I'd go with De Cuyper (supposedly too attack-minded for Tedesco). Meunier sorta an odd choice if you're looking to rejuvenate (keeping Alderweireld and Witsel on the back burner). Tbqh, with Castro-Montes, Siquet, Samoise, Foket, Van der Brempt, ... there are plenty of options on the right. Vanheusden will always be injured.

CDK
    Tielemans
    Onana
    Mangala
    Vermeeren
    Vranckx

Lavia perma-injured and likely won't be in the final squad. KDB otoh should be fit for the Euros.

Lukaku
    Openda
    Batshuayi
    Bakayoko
    Lukebakio
    Doku
    Trossard

Carrasco is injured. No room for Ngonge and quite a few others. Duranville is returning to full fitness (yet have to wait and see if he can break into the Dortmund line-up next season).

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I guess no one is posting in here any more?

Overall I think this tournament is equivalent to the disappointment of Qatar, even though we barely scraped through to the knock-out stages, unlike at that World Cup.

4. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Just no emotional fire in the team! Very strange.

5. Zizol

Zizol New Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Arguably the most disappointing team of the tournament. It felt like the tournament never really started for us.

I understand the logic of a defensive, counter-attacking set-up against a superior French team. But in order for it to be effective you must practice such a set-up in the friendlies/qualifiers before utilising it at a major tournament.

For me, the coach has lost a lot of credit. Let's hope for more coherence in the upcoming nations league...