Official Preston North End (England) vs. Monterrey (Mexico) thread

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by JLoeza, Jun 26, 2007.

1. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

On July 26, 2007 Preston North End (England) will play Monterrey (Mexico) in an international exhibition at 8:00 p.m. The game will be at Raley Field, in Sacramento, California. Preston North End, which plays in the Coca-Cola Football League Championship of the English second division, is going on a U.S. tour. Aside from the game in Sacramento, the tour will also take them to games in Seattle to play the Sounders on July 23rd, and Portland to face the Timbers on July 28th. List any match related info here, and comments regarding the game or Preston North End's U.S. tour.

2. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nice thread, JLo. By the way, great to see you again (with your son I guess) at the Frogs vs Seals derby last weekend. Now the only BAUSL venue where we haven't met is the home ground of the team you actually support: the Victory. I'm sure we'll sort that out on July 4th, my next visit to to the hallowed bleachers of the Kezar Drive mob, for the visit of Miami Football Club.

Anyhow, to the topic in question, the visit to NoCal of one of England's most traditional old clubs, Preston North End, who inspired my side Spurs to wear the famous white shirts and navy blue shorts that have dazzled the globe over the years.

I am going to go this game (tickets permitting). I will be driving up on Thursday, July 26th, the day of the game, but I will probably be staying with friends (a chance to visit them while I'm in the area, even though they have no interest in futbol unfortunately) and then heading back Friday. Anyone is welcome to join me but of course keep in mind I will not be coming back the same night and you would therefore need to find accommodation in Sacramento for the night.

However, will it be strict assigned seating, or like PAL, Negoesco, Kezar, and even Spartan usually, where you can move around at will? If the former, and if anyone else is going, let's buy tickets in the same section.

The last I heard is that some Preston fans will be flying over for the other two games, but they will not be going to Sacramento. From what I can gather, they got jacked around on one of the dates (the Seattle one I think, not the Sac one) so in the end they decided to just go to Portland and Seattle.

I saw on Allison's Timbers board that a few of them will be doing the tourist thing in San Francisco and heading back north on the day PNE is playing Monterrey in Sac!

Either way, there will be very few northern Lilywhites to be seen, but hopefully the presence of such a distinguished club, albeit second tier, will get people excited. Unfortunately, the have just sold one of their star players, their goalkeeper. Further, aspiring England international striker David Nugent may have been sold by then to Sunderland, West Ham, Everton (the club he supports), or someone else, before North End leave Manchester International airport for the West Coast USA.

But I'll be going anyway :cool:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Remembering the Glory Game. A year in the life of Tottenham Hotspur

Adios “soccer”, futbol esta aqui

3. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a great game if we can get a group to road trip up there. I'm in if we get a group. Tickets are available through ticketbastard. Anyone else game?

4. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

That was my nephew at the Seals vs. Frogs game on Saturday. As far as the tickets, they are selling tickets to seats, as well as to sit on the lawn. Last year, Raley Field hosted Monterrey (Mexico) vs. Cruz Azul (Mexico), which was a sellout at over 14,000. Too bad the Preston North End supporters will not have their official plane charter coming to the game in Sacramento. Out of their three games in Portland, Seattle, and Sacramento; the one at Raley Field will probably have the biggest and loudest crowd.

5. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Aren't both clubs from Monterrey fairly popular? Would they rank right behind Chivas and the big three from DF?

6. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Yes, both teams from Monterrey, Club de Fútbol Monterrey and UANL Tigres are popular. They play a local derby, called el Clásico Regiomontano, which is one of the biggest games in Mexico. The teams from Monterrey, and Mexico City, as well as Chivas have many supporters, which makes them all popular teams.

7. ihatearsenal

ihatearsenal New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    i live in sacramento and am going to this game, the two english pubs here have sold big blocks of tickets to ex-pats like myself, everyone here is looking forward to the game, we don't often get english teams playing here!
    It'll be interesting to see the baseball pitch converted into a football field. If anyone has any questions or anything, I'd be happy to help.

8. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

An article about Preston North End and England U21 star, David Nugent.

From www.espnsoccernet.com:

"Preston manager Paul Simpson has demanded that striker David Nugent returns to training on Monday - but admitted he 'honestly doesn't know what David is thinking'. The 22-year-old England striker has not returned to Deepdale after playing for England under-21s in the European Championships in Holland, and has spent the last week discussing terms with Premiership side Portsmouth. It is believed Nugent is stalling on a move to Fratton Park in the hope that his boyhood heroes Everton will enter the race for his signature, but Simpson insists that any move must be tied up. Simpson told the Lancashire Evening Post: 'I would like David to report back here on Monday and we will take if from there. 'I actually think we will be seeing the lad on Monday, although I am really guessing because I honestly don't know what David is thinking. ''Nuge' has got a decision to make as to whether or not Portsmouth is the right club for him. 'If he decides it is not the right club then we are looking forward to seeing him again on Monday. 'I have spoken to his agent and told him I want him back in. He didn't tell me which way things were going so I'm still waiting to hear like everyone else. 'He just told me they had met up with Portsmouth earlier in the week and that was it.' Sunderland manager Roy Keane withdrew his offer for Nugent earlier this week after a lack of progress and Simpson has confirmed that no other clubs have been in touch. He said: 'Portsmouth and Sunderland are the only two clubs who have agreed a fee with us. And the best of my knowledge no-one else has even contacted us. 'I think the two clubs who have been in for him, and we have accepted offers from, are fantastic clubs. I'm sure they would both be a good move for him.'"

9. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Great posts ohh_yeah, JLo, DA, iha.

Well, I guess it's time to think about scoring tickets and the like. I hate using ticketbastard. Anyone in Sacto able to buy tickets for us if we commit? I don't mind fronting the money for the other known "faces" coz I know they're good for it.

Then what about transport? I'm going to make a two day jaunt of it, beating the rush hours and driving over there middle of the day, clearing the cobwebs out the carburetor of my RX-7 if any CHP ask :D then staying over and cruising back the next day. I could probably just get tickets on the afternoon of the game I guess if available.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sing if you’re a BAUSL

[​IMG]

10. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

There have been reports that David Nugent has joined Premier League club, Portsmouth. Although nothing has been confirmed as of yet, this means he will not be on the Preston North End U.S. tour.

"David Nugent has reportedly agreed to join Portsmouth from Preston in a £6million deal after having new talks with the Premier League club. Pompey have yet to confirm the news but according to the Portsmouth News, Nugent will complete the move after the expected formality of taking a medical tomorrow. The 22-year-old, who won his first England cap as a goalscoring substitute in the Euro 2008 qualifier against Andorra in Barcelona, looks set to sign a four-year contract to become manager Harry Redknapp's sixth signing of the summer and partially solve his striker crisis. Nugent was believed to be at Preston's Springfield training ground saying goodbye to his team-mates after arriving at Fratton Park yesterday morning for renewed transfer talks having initially asked for more time to think over his options. Portsmouth were thought to have earlier baulked at Preston's valuation of the player. But with Nigerian striker Kanu's future uncertain after repeatedly turning down only a one-year new deal and Svetoslav Todorov joining Charlton, they may have felt obliged to pay up after Sunderland pulled out of a bid for the player. Nugent has a year left on his contract at Deepdale and was thought to be waiting for a deal to be put to him by Everton. Rennes striker John Utaka, Kanu's front-line partner in the Nigeria national side, is another striker under Pompey's microscope and they could press ahead with a deal for him despite another £6million valuation from te French club. Nugent will be expected to link up with his new team-mates on their trip to the west country ahead of Saturday's opening pre-season friendly with Yeovil. And he will also travel with the squad to Hong Kong for the Asia Cup next week. He follows defenders Sylvain Distin, Hermann Hreidarsson and Martin Crainie plus two midfielders, £7million Sulley Muntari and £1.5million Arnold Mvuemba, into the club. And the continuing transfer activity will certainly please Sol Campbell, last season's star signing, who insists Pompey need more 'serious' fire-power up front to be a force again next term. Campbell faces competition for his own position at the back from newcomers Distin and Hreidarsson but insists: 'The team is good shape but for me the real buzz (about the new season) won't come until I see some serious players up front.' Despite moves to recruit the likes of Sevilla's Fredi Kanoute and Tottenham's Jermain Defoe appearing to be blocked, Campbell has pledged his own future to the club and is ready to fight for his place after recovering from an Achilles injury at the end of last season. He insists: 'I know the club has got to do its deals and it is difficult because everybody wants the top players, but if we can add more strength up front it will make all the difference.'"

11. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to take a roadie for this game if we get a group count me in.

12. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Preston North End star, David Nugent was officially signed by Portsmouth of the Premier League on Wednesday.

"Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has bolstered his attack by signing David Nugent and John Utaka on four-year contracts for undisclosed fees. Nugent, rumoured to have cost £6million, had been tipped to leave Preston after they failed to win promotion to the Premier League last season and was linked with a move to Sunderland and Everton before choosing Pompey. Utaka has been signed from French club Rennes and the Nigeria international can operate as a striker or a winger. Redknapp said: 'He's quick, strong and skilful, a real handful. He's got pace and runs, he's versatile too.' Nugent, 22, had delayed talks about his future until after the European Championships with England Under-21s, where he scored in a group match against Italy. He also scored on his senior debut last season. 'He's scored goals in the Championship and right through his career,' Redknapp added. 'I feel a natural goalscorer like him can score goals anywhere. I looked at him for a while and every time I liked what I saw.' Preston boss Paul Simpson added: 'He wanted to make sure it was the right thing. 'I'm sure he was disappointed he lost out on the option of Sunderland but he's made his decision and I'm sure he's made the correct decision. 'It's up to him now to go out and show people that he can play at Premiership level.' Redknapp is looking to improve on last season's top-half finish and he has already signed Sulley Muntari, Sylvain Distin, Hermann Hreidarsson, Martin Cranie and Arnold Mvuemba."

13. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Preston North End's roster for the U.S. tour:

Goalkeepers:
    Wayne Henderson- A member of the Republic of Ireland National Team.
    Andrew Lonergan- A former England U20, begain his pro career at 17 with Aston Villa.
    Christopher Neal- A 19 year old prospect.

Defenders:
    Graham Alexander- Captain of Scotland's National Team, played in over 300 games for Preston.
    Daniel Pugh- Second on the squad in yellow cards in 2006-07.
    Youl Mawene- 2004-05 Preston North End Player of the Year.
    Sean St. Ledger- A member of the Republic of Ireland National Team.
    Liam Chilvers- Arrived in 2006 from Colchester United.
    Dominic Collins- 16 year old, made trip after impressing in tie with Everton.
    Callum Davidson- A former member of the Scotland National Team.
    Matthew Hill- Previous club was Bristol City.

Midfielders:
    Jason Jarrett- Former player of Wigan Athletic.
    Christohper Sedgewick- Arrived from Rotherham United in 2004.
    Billy Jones- Has been captain of England teams up to U19, and played for U20's.
    Joseph Anyinsah- Joined Preston in 2005.
    Simon Whaley- Joined Preston in 2006 from Bury FC.
    Kevin Nicholls- Has played for England in the U18's, U19's, and U20's.
    Lewis Neal- Arrived from Stoke City in 2005.
    Adam Nowland- Arrived from Gillingham in 2005.

Strikers:
    Karl Hawley- Signed from Carlisle United FC in May 2007.
    Patrick Agyemang- Participated in 2006 World Cup qualifying matches with Ghana.
    Brett Ormerod- Second leading goal scorer in 2006-07.
    Neil Mellor- Scored goal in Champions League that helped Liverpool reach the last 16 in 2004.

14. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well despite losing David Nugent and their stellar goalkeeper from last season, Preston North End are just hours from playing in northern California.

The tossers at Ripoff Field, the venue, are charging more for ticket sales at the gate to punish people for not using their masters Ticket-scum (that company must have been started by gooners, I swear, it's pure effing evil), but I'm still buying on the door when I get there early afternoon.

I tell ya, the things I do to watch Limey clubs play futbol. Daft really.

Interstate 80 E toward Sacramento
    I-80 Business towards South Lake Tahoe (2.1 miles)
    Take Downtown Sacramento exit (0.7 m)
    Merge onto CA275 N (0.6m)
    Right at S River Road and right again to stay on S River (547 ft)
    Right at Third St.
    Left into Ballpark Drive

Gates open 6pm. Kickoff 8pm.

Monterrey fans: "One David Nugent, there's only one David Nugent...."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

"we don't care what the other teams say
    wot the hell do we care
    coz we only know that there's gonna be a show
    and that Tottenham Hotspur will be there!"

15. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    i went to the game with my dad. it was a beautiful night. the crowd was pretty good, mostly monterrey fans. the atmosphere was something ive never seen at a soccer game. there were TWO bands right behind our section and lots of people well after half time ended. i thought that the field was converted well from baseball to football. where we were sitting, we couldnt see into one of the corners due the proximity of the corner to the raised outfield wall, but the in-stadium tv was directly above our blocked line of sight so it didnt bother me much. My dad and I both thought that Raley Field would make a nice temporary site for Quakes games next season.

The game itself was a little chippy for a friendly there were a couple of scuffles and red cards. I think the score was 1-0 Monterrey.

16. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Thanks, Fleck. You were quicker to write up a reaction the game than either myself of JLoenza, whom I met at the game. He took what looked like great photos of the event so hopefully we'll see some of those.

A very late second goal secured a relatively easy win for Monterrey. Neither team looked particularly good but the Mexican side had a much smoother passing game and created more chances, although this encounter never took off as a spectacle, other than the three outbreaks of mass brawling between the players that saw both sides reduced to ten men, and on the worst occasion the fourth official and security officials came onto the field as the fighting threatened to escalate out of control.

Preston have sold several of their star players and it showed. Even with those players they were struggling toward the end of last season. Without them, they look like a side that will not do well this season in the English 2nd tier. Their fans were quiet as lambs. Not traditionally a vociferous bunch, they had nothing to cheer about in this performance.

The Mexican bands added a great atmosphere because the music seemed to be emanating organically up from the crowd and it was hard to tell where the actual musicians were: it almost sounded like a ground level speaker system.

The organizers did a good job converting the baseball field to a futbol pitch. It's a nice little stadium and the facilities are very good. The best beer was Sierra Nevada--oddly classified as an import--priced slightly below Bay Area futbol event tariffs.

The stadium looked about 85% full and everyone had a good time. My seat was behind a goal net so I moved to the seats on the concourse at the very back where the view was excellent.

As an exhibition futbol game it was flat--only the brawling got people excited. But it was worth the trip of about 120 miles each way for me, and I'm glad I live in the Bay Area. Sacramento isn't a place I would want to live in. Not bad, but not good either!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

"we don't care what the other teams say
    wot the hell do we care
    coz we only know that there's gonna be a show
    and that Tottenham Hotspur will be there!"

17. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

The game ended with Monterrey having a 2-0 win over Preston North End. There were some Monterrey fans, but most of the 9,605 in attendance were just Mexican fans of other clubs, wanting to see a professional match featuring a Mexican team in the Sacramento area. Chilean national team player Suazo scored the first goal for Monterrey, while substitute Arturo Alvarado scored the second. Former Mexican World Cup 1998, 2002, and 2006 player Arellano, along with Preston North End player, Danny Pugh were sent off in the match. Overall, the match was entertaining, and I was glad the Mexican side won.

18. Fleck

Fleck New Member

May 14, 2004
    Sacramento
    As a native of the bay i think sac gets a bad rap. when i first moved out here i didnt think much of sactown but its got its own little charm and i kind of think its the most underrated city in california. the housing market is cheap, theres a good nightlife, good suburbs, good eats, its close to the mountains, and the bay... its just... convenient. The area that Raley Field is in is one of the (in my opinion) most rundown areas in sac, but just across the river its much nicer.

back to soccer...

here is a picture of the top notch view from my seat during the game. I love Raley Field for that skyline!

[​IMG]

At the end of the game there were like 200 people dancing right behind our section it was pretty crazy for a soccer game... :D