Official prediction thread-expansion draft

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Viking64, Nov 6, 2004.

1. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Jason Kreis is on that list, it's because he asked to be.

I think if Oscar Pareja is on that list, they're gambling that another team won't take him.

2. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I've read the whole thread, but please don't say that.
    I don't think they will, but I'd hope he's exposed.
    May be a nice guy and everything, but....

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is he taking a place from that you really want to protect?

This team doesn't have 12 'must keep' players. They've got about 6. So just pick 6 or so from the others that you'd like to keep around.

4. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    :(
    ...I'm sorry, its a Posse thing.

You don't think there are twelve guys on this team who are worse than him? Bias aside, I disagree w/ you. He didn't have an off season just out of the blue. He was actually doing pretty well until his knee snapped in two back in May.

...bssh... and I was in a good mood till I read that, too! :(

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Stopper said is essentially correct.

Nunez is "essentially the same status as P40 in the following way.

1. His contract is not on the cap.
    2. He came out of college early, and has multiple years under his current status. (Three? as he was in college 1 year)
    3. He is not a "Jr or Sr Developmental Player" like Behncke used to be and like Maurin and Wagenfuhr were this year.

The only thing different is Nunez is not "yet" an American.
    Technically he is what is called a "Youth International"
    There is at least one other in MLS (other than Szetela, who really was P40 until Nike freaked) but I forget who the other one is this second...

All of which means as usual in MLS there is no either/or answer... there are 15 different answers. So he is NOT P40 and he does NOT have to be protected. All P40s are exempt, except those who graduate like Eddie.
    All exempts are NOT P40.

6. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz,

Should we expect the Burn's list of protected vs. unprotected later on this week? Or is it the king of thing they're not going to make public?

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the series they are doing on their website claims they will put out the list after MLS cup.

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the expansion draft immediately after MLS Cup?

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one week later.

10. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX

Is this in writing anywhere, or is it just some made-up-as-we-go-along effort to mollify us after screwing us out of Marshall?

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it is.... but it's probably also "made up as we go along "

let me look for it....

I think I have that press release on my burned out laptop.
    I got he hard drive copied off and am going to try and bring it on line tomorrow... if I do and find it I will post it.

12. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    One only needs to look over towards the Cowboys in the second half of the 90s to see what happens to a salary cap straddled team that analyzes players by what they've done in the past rather than what they'll do in the future. The system is brutal, but it is the system.

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Wacko4Burn

Wacko4Burn New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Waco, TX
    I understand your point, and based on the Cowboys recent performance with aging veterans at QB, WR and RB, I agree. The Cowboys screwed up by guaranteeing multiple years. I'm not opposed to annual contracts and renegotiated salaries. And I don't think the Cowboys made the mistake on Emmitt. Emmitt wouldn't take a supporting role or less money. If Kreis does an Emmitt, then let him go. That's his decision. I just don't believe in crapping on your stars.

But I think this case may be different. Consider Jaime Moreno. Screws up his back. Gets shipped to Metros, his days are over. Gets released. Has an offseason to heal and train. DC picks him up again to fill a spot. DC is in the final. He is the spirit of that franchise. His goal in the semi was brilliant, a smart veteran play with great touch.

Kreis blew his knee. Takes a year to get back to form. Never really put together an "A game."

In the final match v. SJ, I think Jason finally "got it" that sometimes he will have to assist and not be the man, and pick his spots. This team still needs veteran leadership, especially if Pareja goes. Kreis is the only one left that has that spirit of the team. I think if FCD lets Kreis go this year, it could miss out on his return to form next year.

So why would I keep Kreis and not Pareja? Actually, I'd keep Pareja too, as a player/assistant coach. And in 2 or 3 years, I'd offer Kreis the same.

15. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    thought I'd bump this with new imformation.
    Kries might stay and Rhine might go, given what we learned about Kreis's situation. But overall the problem is that today, no one knows if the cap will go up, or by how much. Now that the Players Union has signed a tentative deal pending membership approval, MLS can afford to raise the cap. The problem is Clarke and Elliott need to know by how much they will raise the cap to decide if any of Nhleko, Kreis, or Pareja can be kept while adding a Million Dollar Player.

Please let Gbandi and Quill get picked up.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD only need to expose 7 players.

Here is my guess, we'll see how good it is tomorrow.

1- Jason Kreis
    2- Scott Garlick
    3- Steve Jolley
    4- Ty Maurin
    5- Toni Nhleko
    6- Oscar Pareja
    7- Eric Quill

17. bradwagon10

bradwagon10 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Denton
    okay, granted i just got into soccer a few months ago, and i just joined the forum 2 minutes ago, im gonna throw my opinion here. i figured no one would mind, considering i do have connections (the posse).
    anyway, this is what i think it might be:
    Protected:
    -Cassar-hello? unless the bachelor miraculously decides to use cassar as their man, i think he'll be our goalie next year
    -Ronnie O- He's IRISH! and hes good. and we signed him...
    -Jolley- Hes awesome on and off the field. Watching him is pretty exciting in my opinion. he goes balls out a lot, and that deserves respect
    -Gibbs- Okay, National Team... Talented... need i say more?
    -EJ- WE have to protect him cause hes graduating P 40 status, and well, hes a grown ass man
    -Valakari- its pretty obvious we need to protect him. hes just awesome
    -Behnke- Played a fair amount this weekend. Whenever he plays, he adds a spark
    -Talley- versitile. not the greatest player in the world, but versitile nonetheless
    -B Davis- uh...need i say anything? my screen name says it all
    -Rhine- Protect him for the posse's sake!
    -Garlick- definatly not as good as cassar, but we need a backup goalie just in case cassar decides to get smacked in the face by the ball...
    -Maurin- debating between him and Salyer. CC says that he had a good preseason or something. Salyer disappeared off the face of the earth for the last, say, uh, 10 games...

So, therefore, Unprotected would be:
    -Oscar- kinda old. only a few years max left
    -Quill- like others say, either him or brad. i like brad...also, we all know that quill has a future as a male model. whoa baby! have you seen him in a suit?
    -Salyer- disappeared off the face of the earth
    -Gbandi- no one likes him apparently
    -Reyes- Too reckless. Although, I do agree that the chivas would pick him up in a heartbeat
    -Kreis- It would be a shame to see him go, but the fact that he demands to be a starter next year is not cool. he seems like too much of a diva when he says that. granted, hes the king of goals, but hes gettin up there in age.
    -Nhleko- this is for the international player purpose thing. hes not a bad player, its just that Simo and Ronnie are a lot better

well, thats what i think...
    -megan (aka- The Brad Wagon ;) )

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    thought I'd bump this with new imformation.
    Kries might stay and Rhine might go, given what we learned about Kreis's situation. But overall the problem is that today, no one knows if the cap will go up, or by how much. Now that the Players Union has signed a tentative deal pending membership approval, MLS can afford to raise the cap. The problem is Clarke and Elliott need to know by how much they will raise the cap to decide if any of Nhleko, Kreis, or Pareja can be kept while adding a Million Dollar Player.

Please let Gbandi and Quill get picked up.

19. BigNards

BigNards Member

Jul 18, 2004
    I agree....except the part where he forgets which goal to score in....I did like the balls out part though... :D

Are you sure your not MTA re-branded?

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bradwagon10

bradwagon10 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Denton
    haha, no, im not jenn. im the 18 year old version of her thats in denton :D

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro list
    GK Johnny Walker, GK Zach Wells, F Sergio Galvan Rey, M Joselito Vaca, M Pablo Brenes, D Craig Ziadie, D Tim Regan

23. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Hey, now, no talking trash about my favorite player :D .

24. ihearttheburn

ihearttheburn New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Denton/Plano, Texas
    I'm nervous, y'all! Buzz... I'm so happy that Bobby is not on your exposed list, but I really just do not see FCD exposing both Kreis & Pareja. Alrighty- I compiled my own list this morning just so I could get an idea of what I think is going to happen. Keep in mind this was at 7 this morning, but let me know what you guys think.

PROTECTED
    Cassar
    O'Brien
    Johnson
    Gibbs
    Valakari
    Behncke
    Davis
    Pareja
    Talley
    Maurin
    Salyer
    Jolley

EXPOSED
    Gbandi
    Garlick
    Nhleko
    Quill
    Kreis
    Reyes
    Rhine :( :( :(

I wasn't too crazy about having to put Bobby on my exposed list, but instinct tells me thats whats up. I kept Talley & Jolley cuz of their versatility. I kept Maurin cuz he's young... I know y'all are going, "that makes a difference how?" but I believe Colin was quoted at the end of the season saying he hoped Maurin could work his way into a starting spot next season. Salyer I protected because Colin said something similar. Maybe you could switch him out with Reyes, but IDK.

I put Rhine, Kreis and Nhleko on my exposed list but Mego (bradwagon10) then pointed out to me that I had three forwards on my list. True, true, but I think if I'm wrong there it'll be Kreis protected and somebody else being exposed. Trust me, it sucks to put my fave player on the exposed list... I was looking forward to sporting his jersey @ ULHOWA next season! My fingers are crossed...

If FCD doesn't post their list by the time I leave for my 8am class 2mrw, I am gonna have mad issues focusing...

25. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas

I am surprised they left Ziadie exposed. At the Metrosexuals game in Dallas he looked very good and young although we let him have it from the stands.

If im picking for RSL I would take him for my defense