Official :: Potential Players, Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by OKTerrific, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official :: Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

It is now official 2 year contract with Dynamo Kiev. I was wrong.

2. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official :: Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

Agreed! I was looking to see if anyone was discussing the possibility of Vieira coming to the Union and it didn't even occur to me to check this the draft thread. Mods, please. It'd be great to merge a Vieira thread into a "DP/Overseas signing" thread. But, these two have little in common. At least change the name of this thread to be "player acquisition: draft and signings" or something like that so it's clear.

3. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm excited about the possibility of Vieira coming to the Union. It'd be a free transfer although he wouldn't be available till the summer. He's not a name that will draw in non-soccer fans like Beckham did, but he will certainly help draw fans of foreign leagues who aren't sure whether to give MLS a chance. He's got a rep as a hard worker, so hopefully he'd bring that to MLS and help us a ton in the midfield. Does anyone watch him enough to say whether they think he'll have enough in the tank? He doesn't rely too much on speed, does he?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpovLUvJyzY"]YouTube - Arsene's XI - Patrick Vieira[/ame]

4. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Future Union Players

The "Future Union Players" thread was merged into this one but not deleted, so it stays bold...as I'm rather OCD about it it's driving me slightly nuts...could this be taken care of please? Thanks in advance, pookieses.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Besides, won't Huss and dark knight come down us for having more than 500 posts in the thread?

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope Beasley comes back, but have mixed feelings about him on the Union. Solely because I have a great insulting chant for him that we would not be able to use if he's on our team.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Meanwhile, we have another thread on here (kit thread) that is over 1,200 posts long, haha.

8. dmmihali

dmmihali Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Vieira interested in MLS?

Eh. Someone asked him about it and he was polite.

If he comes here, he probably won't come to Philly. He'd be moving in the middle of the MLS season. I doubt we'll field a team with a Viera-sized hole in it for the first few months of our existence in the hopes that he'll be healthy and sign with us once his current contract is up.

If he does come, I'd guess New York. They're such a train wreck this year that they'll be looking to do something dramatic; they won't be able to turn the team over completely in the offseason without the benefit of an expansion draft, etc; and they're likely to have a lot of cap room to work with and a big pile of allocation money built up from their fourteen seasons of failure.

10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potential Players for the Union (Part 2)

Note: I've created a new thread for this because the original thread has for some unknown reason been rendered inaccessible due to what looks to be some kind of error involving the mods trying to merge other threads to it.

Jim Curtin has expressed clear interest in playing for the Union.

Might DMB become available as a January signing for Peter Nowak? He's now stuck riding the pine at Rangers in a seemingly hopeless situation for him. Some speculate that perhaps a move to MLS will be in order for him. He's played alongside Nowak for the Fire, so there is a familiarity there. I think Beasley, only at 27, is still a very serviceable player for an MLS team. A new team, a new start for the guy who seems to have fallen on hard times in both his international and club careers might be good.

Thoughts?

12. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Potential Players for the Union (Part 2)

Yes, I wonder who's cooking up all these underdone thread folds, sautéeing the board into some sort of twisted fricassee.

JIM, I'M INFERRING IT'S YOU!

13. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd love to see Beasley at Seaport Drive. He's fun to watch when he's in form and his history with Nowak is a plus. I don't know much about Jim Curtin but I know he's a local guy, and anyone with passion for the city is okay in my book.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would love to see DMB back in the US, but since he just recommitted to Rangers, he won't be cheap. And I am not sure he is worth DP money for Union. Curtin would be a nice pickup for Union. Experienced, decent player who would come cheap. And you can't beat home town pride. I secretly think Curtin has asked Chivas to put him on the expansion draft unprotected list. But thats just me.

Who else? I won't mention that Reading kid, that just upsets people and its done to death.

Who will Nowak bring in? Maybe some of his U-23s from the Olympic squad.
    -Chris Seitz, GK, backup at RSL?
    -Danny Szetela, MF, now at DC?

Heres a super-long list if you want to look for yourself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_U-23_men's_national_soccer_team#2008_Summer_Olympics

15. MidnightMackemRider

MidnightMackemRider New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure if this was on Part 1 of your potential players, but I do believe (unfortunately) Jeff Larentowitz's (Revolution) contract is expiring after this season and he has ties to the Philly area.

16. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Bills DO have a look-alike to replace him.