Official :: Potential Players, Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by OKTerrific, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official :: Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

Sol Campbell's a free agent.

2. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official :: Expansion Draft (11.25.09) and SuperDraft (1.14.10) Discussion Thread

So is Travis.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

...on second thought, they probably will. It doesn't make sense to let him go for free, and it's not like the Quakes have anybody really talented they could lose by protecting him instead.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

I've posted my expansion draft preview, going into detail about who I think will be protected and exposed. Check it out:

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not bad, but I think you need to be careful about relying too much on who was and wasn't protected last season.

Most importantly, you say you don't expect Hartman or Onstad to be protected because they weren't last year. But last year by the expansion draft, Seattle had already signed Keller and they weren't going to sign a high-priced backup, so it was safe to leave them exposed. In 2007, neither was exposed.

Unless they sign a big-name keeper by the end of the season, Philly will be looking for a franchise goalkeeper, and if one is available in the expansion draft I would expect Nowak to take him. Onstad might be a gamble at 41, but Hartman at 35 is a sure pick. Keller won't be on the board, period; he came back to play in Seattle and Seattle will protect him.

For the same reason, I wouldn't be surprised if New York protected both Conway and Coundoul.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great job Scaryice, as usual. Although I think as chapka said I would argue some of the finer points, your overall work is impressive.

Some that stood out for me is getting Kovalenko from LA, Razov from Chivas, Noonan or Peterson from Colorado, Eddie Robinson from Houston, Gomez from KC, Burch or McTavish from DC, Mapp from Fire and anyone from Crew.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

How do you guys feel about Beasley as a non-DP signing? I think he's worth Convey money. When healthy, he's a very effective pllayer.

8. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Only if he's playing left back... or maybe Keeper.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny thing is that I didn't write this post in this thread, as Campbell has nothing to do with either the Expansion Draft nor SuperDraft.

I think some n00b mod was tinkering with things ...

:p

10. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't worry, Dills. Everything will soon be sucked into this black hole of a thread!

Welcome to the Official :: Expansion Draft/SuperDraft/Uniform/MLS Fantasy/Tailgate/Transportation/etc. Thread :)o)

11. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fyp

12. SOB - Fleetwood

SOB - Fleetwood New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How can it be a good thing when the MLS loses its top prospects in just 3 years!!!!!!!!

Fire transfer Soumare to Boulogne of French first division
    Mali international defender joins recently promoted Ligue 1 club
    08/26/2009 3:40 PM
    Chicago Fire Communications Department
    Bakary Soumare earned MLS Best XI honors with the Fire in 2008.
    Bakary Soumare earned MLS Best XI honors with the Fire in 2008. (J. Daniel/Getty)
    Related

* Bakary Soumare MLS statistics

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Fire announced Wednesday that defender Bakary Soumare has been transferred to Boulogne of the French first division pending the completion of a physical with the French club. Per club policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

"We would like to thank Bakary Soumare for his contributions to this club and wish him the best in his future playing career," said Chicago Fire technical director Frank Klopas.

The Chicago Fire selected Soumare in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft and through his three seasons with the club he appeared in 62 games, starting 55. Last season, Soumare earned both MLS Best XI and Chicago Fire Defender of the Year honors for his defensive efforts as the team reached the 2008 Eastern Conference Final. The Mali native has appeared in three 2010 World Cup Qualifiers in 2009 and most recently played 90 minutes for Mali in a 3-0 friendly win over Burkina Faso.

Union Sportive de Boulogne-sur-Mer Côte d'Opale was founded in 1898 and currently plays in the French Ligue 1. Last season the club played in the French Ligue 2 before ascending to the top division for the 2009-2010 campaign. The club currently has a record of 2-0-1 and will face AJ Auxerre on Saturday, August 29th.

The Fire return to action this Saturday night against D.C. United at TOYOTA PARK (7:30 p.m. CT, Fox Soccer Channel).

13. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Same thing happens in Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Holland, etc.

14. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/08/usa-youth-stars-renken-gyau-sign-deals-with-1899-hoffenheim.html

Two of the top US 17 players (Joseph Gyau and Charles Renken) have signed deals with German side Hoffenheim. Although I doubt that Peter Nowak would have drafted either one of them with the top pick if they had signed with MLS (he had enough of drafting teenage wonderboys with the #1 overall pick with Adu in DC), it is just two more names to drop from the list of potential #1 overall 2010 SuperDraft candidates along with ex-Wake Forest product Cody Arnoux (who signed with Everton earlier in the summer). If Ike Opara (Wake Forest defender) were to sign with MLS, he would still be the front-runner for Philly's #1 overall pick. Unfortunately, Opara could follow the recent Wake Forest trend of Arnoux and Marcus Tracy (likely #1 overall pick last year but he signed for a Danish team) and bolt for Europe (bypassing MLS in the process).

15. USRoverDE

USRoverDE Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can come up with about 4-5 answers off the top of my head, do you want them, or is this a rhetorical question?

16. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can think of 1.5 million reasons. 1.5 million reasons that are necessary to keep MLS going as a league.

17. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But angry inflammatory statements are so much fun to make!

18. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Future Union Players

I don't know what happened to the Potential Players thread so I decided to start a new one :) So today on SI and probably everywhere else it mentions that Shevchenko's time with Chelsea is over. Does anyone else see him possibly being our DP??

19. ZoloFootball

ZoloFootball New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Future Union Players

Because he's leaving to go back to Kiev. Which means he's not coming to MLS until summer transfer window 2010 at the earliest. Probably later though.

20. Union James

Union James New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    West Chester
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Future Union Players

That is true he has been linked to Kiev but nothing is official yet other than chelsea said they want him gone. I realize our chances are tiny but a man can dream can't he

21. ZoloFootball

ZoloFootball New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Inter midfielder Vieira hints at future MLS switch

Intruiging ...

23. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Especially because of the position he plays. MLS also flirted with Ze Roberto who would have been a great signing before he moved to HSV for 2 years.

I wonder if the Djorkaeff connection might leave the Red Bulls as front runners.

24. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

By the way, what does any of this have to do with the Expansion Draft or the SuperDraft? I still don't understand why we can't have separate threads for each of these events (which are fed by two very different player pools) and another thread to discuss potential DPs/signings from outside MLS instead of this Frankenstein's monster of a thread.

25. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And don't forget to add a thread solely dedicated to the discussion of whether or not it even makes sense to sign a DP in your expansion season.