Official Poll for the Miami MLS team name

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami Athletic would not be bad, thought there are many better choices. "Athletics", after all, has been part of the of US sports for over a century. Athletico, for some reason, has lost its luster. Not gay, it just does not fit.

I agree with NYFC, Miami FC is excellent. Miami Sharks FC would be even better.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yeah, like Miami FC is original :rolleyes:. Atletico Miami is a misnomer. It's a franchise of MLS, not a team sponsored by an athletic club. It's also a shameless copycat (how original is that?). Quit trying to create fake history.

American Teams, American names.

Miami Barca-Loungers :D

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut up... Atletico Miami has the ring to it, Miami Vice, Miami sharks is for college names, college sports.... i wouldnt min goin with a deportivo Miami or MIami FC, FC Miami... But a Noun after the city is ridiculous, Miami Farts, its just stupid... Miami Verb is better athletics, sporting, or FC is better

4. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC is the best I've heard as well. Why change a good thing?

Or Miami Blues with FC plugged in there somewhere.

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    ...for drawing an average of 6,000 fans per game in MLS because people think you're a bunch of posers. Atletico Miami is every bit as bad as Real Salt Lake, and as I said, it's a misnomer. Copycat names are stupid, in my opinion.

American Teams, American Names.

As in "old" Farts? :D

and no, I won't shut up. :p

6. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok don't shut up, but how about then Miami Union FC? I mean if they can't revive the Fusion name, that meant a city of different nationalities, why not try Union? No? I dont know....

Miami Union FC.......??

I also saw the flag of Miami Dade County, Why dont we use those colors? Blue, Lime green and white, kind of like seattle sounders but our main color will be white? no just a thought...:eek:

7. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um welcome to Miami, we are very very different from the rest of America!! Well number one we do live in Miami, which is 50%+ Hispanics, and if you dont like it, it can be translated to Miami Athletics... Just trying to get a name that would hit the fan base with latinos, im not trying to push any non-latins out but the latinos are the hardest to convince since they have thier league back home, so if you bring them a team they can pronounce and relate with thier teams back home (hence Atletico Miami - Hence my team in Colombia Atletico Junior) then they would be able to watch this league and take it serious. If its an original name then it would be better, and it can be said in spanish. Because come on, how you going to name the team Miami Vice and in spanish have no way of translating it, it would draw people away (not really but come on, well technically if they here that the team is named Atletico Miami or Deportivo Miami, then it may spark thier interest and get them into watchin the league)... all im saying is we have to make it homie, you know we live in Miami... Duh!!

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I guess you didn't notice the :D next to Miami Vice. It was a joke. That would be the dumbest name for a team since SJ Clash and Dallas Burn (and Galaxy, Crew, Wiz, etc.).

I do like Sharks, though. Tiburones in Spanish, correct?

9. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami millionaires fc

10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ok...

11. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906568

Check this thread out. Its the possible names for the Philly team. I told you we have to go this route with the naming of teams, with this, MLS would finally become one with the leagues recognized around the world. Look at the choices.... I would pick Philadelphia City, kinda like Manchester City but in the US. Now Miami has to go this route too, and we can nickname them the blues or the sharks or what ever you guys want, but we need a good name for Miami.. ATLETICO MIAMI!!! or AC MIAMI for Athletic Club of Miami

12. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Atletico miami

13. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami Athletic, Miami AC are OK.

Atletico, no. For some reason reason I've developed a huge dislike of Atletico.

If we are to pander to Europe or elsewhere Miami United with the nickname of "the Fusion" is best.

My favorite still is Miami FC.

14. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All i can say is: Pero-Dog, White-Blanco, black-negro, idiot-idiota, you-tu, Miami Athletic-Atletico Miami!!!!!

get the picture.. realize something if Atletico Madrid is playiing in Spain, when they play here the name would be Madrid Athletic... so If you want the team to be Miami Athletic then um, yea the name will be Atletico Miami as well.....

Deprtivo Cali - Sporting Lisbon

Deportivo and Sporting same shit, said differently because of the country, and YES Miami is another country (if you are thinkin "Miami is in the US, what is this guy talking about?") apart from the US deal with it, so yea
    name it Athletico Miami an they would also be known as Miami Athletic in other words TO-may-toe=TO-MA-toe same thing....

15. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlético Miami would be my choice at the moment. It fits well with Miami's large Latin community, and it's a good traditional soccer name without going the FC route. Also, Barça's B team in Spain is called FC Barcelona Atlétic, so it ties in there as well. Some may not like a Spanish name being used in an English country, but as Lucho305 said, South Florida is as close to another country as you can get. It's just a name, and it will do wonders for the credibility and respect of the team in the Latin market, which is what MLS wants to tap into.

Believe what you want, but the strong Latin demographic, is the largest, if not the only, reason why MLS wants to come back to South Florida. They want to gain a foothold in the Latin soccer market, and Miami is the launching pad for any such venture. Going with a name like Atlético Miami, or Club Deportivo Miami, would be a good marketing move on the part of the league/team.

..and this is coming from a guy who's picture could be in the dictionary next to "caucasian". Whether you want to admit it or not, South Florida is a bilingual area, and Spanish is a part of the culture. It's what makes Miami Miami, and it only makes sense to represent it in the name of the soccer team.

16. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I like Atlético Miami and I also like Club Deportivo Miami

17. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sticking w/the names I like & my dislike of Atletico for my own reasons, know but to a few.

However, it should be noted that Lucho's link to the Philadelphia name thread shows that the good folks up there covet Athletic/Atletico and are conspiring on getting around the ban that prohobits their using it. Considering the unadorned "love" some of the posters from Philly have shown in the MLS: Expansion forum for any team from Florida, South Florida and, especially, Miami, Atletico Miami would be a very nice way to tweak their collective noses and, also, hatch a pretty good rivalry right from the start. Something to think about during the naming process.

I've stated elsewhere that I like Deportivo, or Club Deportivo (CD). I like it so much that, if we must pander to the base, I can take it straight with no translation to English required.....:cool:

18. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree drSoFlaFan is very caucasian.:D

I have no problem with Deportivo, but my favorite for a very long time has been Atletico. My favorite Brazilian team, Atletico Paranaense, shares that name so that is why I have fallen for the name. Nothing to do with Spain.

Lucho305 repped this.
  19. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting bit of info here: I did a little digging around on the US trademark search database to see if any Miami MLS related names came up, and Traffic Sports USA owns the rights to the name "FC Miami", and they made their claim December 10, 2008, presumably to keep the potential MLS team from being able to use it, or to perhaps sell it to them. I guess if that is the name that wins the contest, FCB/Claure are gonna have to do some bargaining with Traffic.

20. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, lets just name it Club Deportivo Miami or Atletico Miami...

21. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those two, FC Miami, and Miami Fusion FC are my 4 favorites. Since Fusion is unlikely, If it came down to a vote between those 3, I'd pick Atlético Miami.

Lucho305 repped this.
  22. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like someone was picking the FCB Miami name a little too much, it wasn't like that 2 weeks ago... Sabotager. I think im goin to make a new poll wit no Chivas USA product names.... Own Identity poll, what you guys think?

23. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think there's any conspiracy here. You can't vote twice. The people have spoken. FCB Miami (which would stand for Fútbol Club Barcelona Miami) is a name people actually like and i'm not surprised about this at all. It's the outsiders and the haters who want the team name to not represent the Barça connection, not the real fans.

24. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no esteban i check these everyday and i remember last week this name not bing on top, in fact it was atletico miami and fc miami, that were on top and FCB Miami was around lst place, you can vote twice actually you just have to know how to go about it. So yea, no more chivas usa garbage, we have to push for our own identity!! Millos suck!! Junior tu Papa!!

25. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tu papá almost got relegated last year (tu papá, tu papá, tu papá...don't you costeños ever say anything different?? you need to win like 5 more leagues to be anybody's dad)

Ok. Enough of Colombian league smack. On the matter at hand I still find it hard to believe that FCB Miami has such great lead because of haters sabotaging this forum.

Lucho305 repped this.