Official Poll for the Miami MLS team name

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new York but cmon, Chivas USA is definitely a bad name, but for all i care there can be a Real miami, Real New York, Real california, ok i guess it has to go with a good city name. i dont know Real Salt lake is not that bad. Mayeb you don;t like it because they copied a team, but they did not ther is alot of Real teams. i dont i guess your opinion.

Wateva. Miami has to be named

ATLETICO MIAMI!!! or C.D. Miami!! something professional, I dont like names with City NickName FC. Like seattle would have been good just with Seattle FC but they named it seattle Sounders FC, just Miami FC or AC Miami or you get my point right?

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they tried to name Seattle "Seattle FC", also "Seattle Republic" or "Seattle Alliance", those were the 3 options for the fan vote, but thanks to overwhelming fan displeasure for those names a write-in was added, and Sounders won in a landslide. In that case, it is a great nickname, so long as the team doesn't move someplace that isn't on the Puget Sound and keep the name. That's when most nicknames go bad, like the LA Lakers and Utah Jazz. In those teams' original locations, the names were great(Minnesota-land of 10,000 lakes and New Orleans Jazz-self explanatory), but now they're just stupid, and since they've stuck for so long, there is little chance they change.

If Miami can come up with a nickname that is a good, locally relevant one, I'm all for it. I like names like DC United and Toronto FC and all, but nicknames, when done right, an can be great as well. Right now the best nickname for Miami is still Fusion IMO, I haven't heard anything better than that suggested. Of the more traditional soccer style names, I like FC Miami, Atlético Miami and CD Miami. Also worst case scenario, I could live with 'FCB' being in the name. I'll take 3 letters tacked on to the name, just as long as I have a team to cheer for.

3. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm comfortable with & could easily live with Club Deportivo Miami. It caters to the base. No one else in MLS has it (I think..:confused: ..), consequently it is distinctive. It isn't Barca based. We can use the Fusion blue on blue uniform/kit colors too, hopefully getting a very different look since "Club Deportive" pays homage to no one else.

In all, it sounds like a good name for the tropical Miami franchise...:)

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CLUB DEPORTIVO MIAMI home of the Sharks........the Mako Sharks..

5. euro326

euro326 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Hey guys, new poster, long time lurker. Was a Fusion season ticket holder when they were here (I was like 10 years old haha) and excited for the possibility of the new team.

I think that a traditional name (i.e. Atletico Miami) might be cool and then have the team nickname be in connection with the Fusion. Perhaps unofficially "adopted" by the fan base (see Sunderland AFC "Black Cats" that's now in the crest)

6. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the name Atletico Miami.

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Where's "none of the above?"

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not here. Why don't you post what you'd like it to be & let that be your "none of the above?....:)

9. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something I did not know, and also helps make the case for the Atlético Miami name variations: FC Barcelona's B team is now called "Barcelona Atlétic". That pretty much throws the "they can't use that because of Atlético Madrid" arguments out the window, cause FCB has already used that name as well.

My favorite names that have come up so far, in no particular order, are:

FC Miami
    AC Miami
    Atlético Miami
    Miami Fusion FC
    Club Deportivo Miami

10. euro326

euro326 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I like Inter Miami but I feel as though it would need to be Internacional Miami (and then Inter for short) to get the Latin feel in the name. I'm Scottish and very much want us to have a strong European influence but I understand where we are and as such, we should pay tribute to it.

Still, my favorite so far is Atletico Miami. In Spain, there is also Atletico Bilbao, and in the UK Charlton Athletic, Dunfermline Athletic, Wigan Athletic and Oldham Athletic so it's not like its so uncommon of a name and that Madrid is the only team with it.

11. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    Take a look into the Argentinean league! There's almost no team that has not Club Atletico in its name!!

12. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean we should be talking about CA Miami?...;)

13. euro326

euro326 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I mean that's essentially what Athletico Miami is...a football/soccer club that is called Athletico Miami. Thus CA Miami would be appropriate. However, I don't think that it should be like Toronto FC. Rather like DC United FC where their full formal name is that but the common, used name is DC United.

14. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    Club Soccer International Miami.

David Caruso's sunglasses can appear on the crest.

15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Soitenly! :D Don't mind if I do. Here goes:

Miami Sharks (as the team name, not an "unofficial" nickname)
    Miami Riptide
    Miami Cyclones (as opposed to Hurricanes)
    Miami Seagulls

It's going to be a MLS franchise, not a team sponsored by an athletic/sporting club, so both Atletico and Club Deportivo are misnomers (not to mention blatant copycats). I have never been one for "unofficial" nicknames that are chosen by a "supporters club," which makes up less than about 10% of those who hopefully will buying tickets (then you end up with something like "Hoops" or "Latics" (what's a latic? Reminds me of LBJ in "The Right Stuff," when he asked Dr. Von Braun "A jimp? What the hell's a jimp?!?"). If you want the nickname to be the Sharks, go for "Miami Sharks" as the team name. If you're gonna call 'em that anyway, make that the name, and save yourself some time.

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Miami Vice :D

17. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOOOOOO ATLETICO MIAMI, Forget the american gay naming system!! Mismi Sharks or Miami Vice is stupid, have originality please

18. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Except we're in America so why would you call if Atletico?? What the hell ever happened to Miami FC? It's perfect.

19. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FC Miami

20. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    http://www.miamifc.com/index.php

Am I missing something? :confused:

Looking at the votes though a variation of FC Miami/ Miami FC is clearly the number one choice way ahead of Atheletics or Atletico accounting for 40% of the vote.

21. euro326

euro326 New Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    It's too plain. We're Miami, we have much more flare than that!

Also, like I've said in previous posts, I don't see the problem with naming the team Atletico Miami (or Athletico or Athletic) and there be a nickname (i.e. Sharks, Makos, whatever) to please everyone else (see Manchester United "Red Devils")...

22. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's just moving the 'FC' in front of Miami would make the name more similar to FC Barcelona, which makes it a more likely team name. I personally prefer FC Miami to Miami FC. I just like the way it sounds better.

23. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Soon hopefully we will get the news from MLS and Miami FCB can start the name the team contest.

24. NYFC

NYFC Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I highly doubt they care that FC be in the front of the name.

I think the opposite. I think it rolls a lot better as Miami FC. Plus there's already the team with the name in place. No sense in switching it. Regardless, if they did name themselves FC Miami I would just be happy that they are not FC Barca USA/FCB Miami or whatever other catastrophe they are thinking of.

25. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one thing I think everyone here can agree on about the Miami bid.