Official Paulo Bento Thread

Discussion in 'Korea' started by killaorca, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should we sack him? The prayer to KNT god.

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Wait

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

bring in SHJ and he'll get a solid striker and an on pitch interpreter...a grease man, if u will

2. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    기레기 시팍새끼들 ㅉㅉㅉ

Every time I get to hear questions those d-bags ask expats, I really want to burn their office. They deserve to get bankrupted.

3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Kim Pan-gon will be providing Bento and his coaching staff with two translators in order for the entire team to get an overall better communication. Before the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Lee Yoon-gyu returned as the team's translator when Toni Grande, Javier Minano, and Hernandez Garcia were added to the coaching staff for the WC ahead, but because Lee Yoon-gyu faced many difficulties, the KFA provided an additional Spanish translator - Shin Seung-ho, who is currently the temp Portuguese translator for Bento.

Past KNT Translators:

Jeon Han-jin - English translator for Guus Hiddink (2001-2002)

Jeong Jae-hoon - French translator for Humberto Coelho (2003-2004)

Park Il-ki - English translator for Jo Bonfrere (2004-2005), Dick Advocaat (2005-2006), Pim Verbeek (2006-2007)

Lee Yoon-gyu - Spanish translator for Uli Stielike (2014-2017), Toni Grande, Javier Minano, Hernandez Garcia (2017-2018)

Shin Seung-ho = Secondary Spanish translator for Toni Grande, Javier Minano, Hernandez Garcia (2018)

4. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #254 Seol Korea, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    [Official] Kim Pan-gon appoints former Suwon Samsung Bluewings lead scout Kim Young-min(45), and Seoul E-Land U-15 manager Choi Tae-uk(37) to be a part of Bento's coaching staff.

Kim Young-min aka Michael Kim (Korean Canadian)
    [​IMG]

Choi Tae-uk
    [​IMG]

김판곤 위원장은 “코칭 스태프와의 소통, 선수 관리 등 감독이 요구하는 각자 역할에 최대한 부합하는 한국인 코치를 선임했다. 포르투갈 지도자들과의 좋은 호흡을 기대한다”고 밝혔다. 김 위원장은 “향후 한국인 피지컬 코치 1명을 추가로 선임할 계획”이라고 덧붙였다

Kim Pan-gon stated that he selected these two domestic coaches due to meeting each roles that Bento requires: communication, team/player management etc. And, will be reinforcing the coaching staff with one domestic physical coach soon enough. He's looking forward to seeing the coaches fit well into Bento's coaching staff.

Bluewings21 and 10August2012 repped this.
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  6. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  7. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I remember an article about Lee Yoon-gyu's background. He was so passionate about the game so that he spent his entire paid leaves on working at Jeonbuk Hyundai as an intern.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And, he also put aside a good job he was working at just to help the KNT for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Bluewings21 and Sons of Thunder repped this.
  9. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    In my opinion, Bento is about as neutral of a manager we could've gotten. He's average in both ability and style, but at least he's a professional who knows how things are run in modern European football. While I doubt he'll ever have the team playing amazing soccer, I also don't think he'll make major fck ups in terms of training, fitness, selections, etc. I expect that the team will have a lot of average performances under him, where the team neither excels nor disappoints.

I think the Bento's KNT will become something of a control group, where we get to see our guys play near their actual level, with the manager and his assistants mostly playing a supporting role instead of transforming the team according to a certain vision.

One thing I'm certain about is that Bento will be a great manager for our young players. Bento has a lot of good prospects to work with.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  10. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He really said this? Does he know something we don't?

11. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    judging by his reaction to the question i dont think he knew who lee kangin was

10August2012 and wetcrispy repped this.
  12. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Can I ask why you think so?

13. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Nothing special really, he just seems to be a guy who has a track record of giving young players good minutes.

chook90 repped this.
  14. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Maybe or maybe not, but I don't think a lot of managers or the listed candidates would've had any idea who Lee Kang-in is, maybe except for Luis Enrique and Pep Guardiola, but even Quique in particular only knew Son and Ki.

15. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bento scrapped half of the Portuguese national team that CQ left behind in order to implement new young talents with the main core players. Judging by the way he stated how some players that didn't make the WC team that caught his attention, I am a bit optimistic that we'll see the likes of Baek Seung-ho, Lee Kang-in etc. much sooner. I'd also be extremely pleased if he gets rid of Jang Hyun-soo, Jung Woo-young, Kim Min-woo etc.

doraemon repped this.
  16. Uranusisnext

Uranusisnext Red Card

Grêmio
    South Korea
    Aug 16, 2018
    When can we expect to see his call ups? I'll be pissed if Suk isn't called up.

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Squad announcement for the September friendlies is on Monday the 27th at 10:00 AM KST. I'm neither expecting much and neither should anybody, after all it is his first selection as the manager, so hold that tongue from slipping any criticisms.

18. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Are you familiar with his style from his previous teams? I don't remember at all how his Portugal and Sporting squads used to play. Seems like he wants to play a possession based style with us and demands lots of pressure and activity.

19. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Apparently Bento has one hell of a temper and left China because he didn't get along with a few of the players. He hates guys who aren't professional and in someone's words would bench Maradona to teach him a lesson. With so many promising young guys coming up through the ranks, I think it's a good thing that we have a guy like this in the KNT at this point in time. He's a hardworking and passionate guy (seems pretty charismatic too) and would be a good leader in setting the culture of the team.

I doubt he's a guy who will put up with KFA bullshit, so uh, interesting choice here from Kim Pangon...:laugh:

Tactically I'm not expecting much, as everyone seems to say that he's just average/mediocre. I also don't expect him to make it through 4 years and a half, reason being his temper and the possibility that people won't be satisfied with him. Would've preferred a 2+2 team option contract, but what the fck do I know.

I like the guy and will root for him. He hasn't been successful recently but he's a guy who did well with Sporting CP for years, so there's always a chance that he'll be able to replicate that with us. It's understandable to feel jaded and cynical, but he's different from the likes of Stielike (unqualified), HMB (unqualified), and CKH (unwilling).

chook90 and jessypjs repped this.
  20. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Pressure and attacking football whilst making players endlessly run for 90 minutes, and applying balance between attack and defense, kind of similar to Quique's tactics. At least from what I recall during his Sporting days, since that's the first and last time I've seen his management aside from some parts of his time with Portugal, and it was quite attractive as well.

He's not a possession oriented/obsessed manager like the delusional Stielike, so from the gist of him stating that he wants to raise possession, I think it's rather tongue in cheek and not implying that he will be utilizing Tiki-taka since that isn't his style and approach, but rather to gain possession from time to time by cutting off the opposition's plays, and winning back the ball as such.

21. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bento had run ins with his players since his Sporting days like with Stojkovic, and as for Chongqing, the whole team was a mess before he even got there, so I can understand why he was pissed to begin with, yet the club sacked him for four straight losses when his objective was to keep the team from being relegated in which he did, not to mention, his side beat Stielike's Tianjin TEDA 2-1.

doraemon, piesofmeat314, chook90 and 2 others repped this.
  22. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    Purely as an fyi thingy. I have an acquaintance who is Portuguese who is an armchair football manager like myself and this is what he had to say:

"Not that he is a bad coach but I can easy name 10 better ones.
    To me there are 2 types of coaches--the military ones that make players run when they already have some skill but are or think they are stars.
    And strategists which I think you need since Koreans already give everything on the field...true warriors
    Next time go for Villas-Boas, a great strategist and far from having a good club for some time now."

10August2012 and chook90 repped this.
  23. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Lol

chook90 repped this.
  24. zeke714

zeke714 Member

Aug 9, 2018
    You seriously think beating Stielike's club in a garbage league is some sort of accomplishment?

25. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i don't think he was being serious