Official Pablo (as coach) thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ~F8~, Apr 7, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that they searched for coaches but then realized all the ones they wanted already had a job.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I've always felt that Colorado had the biggest home field advantage in MLS. Why they can't get a coach that will punish teams at the altitude is baffling.

COMtnGuy, fortcollins, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Feel sorry for PM, he was pretty much in a no-win situation (literally). I am not sure who else would be willing to step into this shit-show without some sort of changes with the FO or owner's position toward winning. I don't blame them for focusing on the bottom line, but I also would think our ranking in team value would show KSE that having a winning team can dramatically improve the team's value. (using my MBA for a minute....)

rod.

4. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think most of the CUSA Academy is going to be taken over by the Galaxy after LAFC turned down the opportunity to take it over. At the very least, one of the more prominent coaches from that academy, Brian Kleiban, is heading to the Galaxy at the end of the year and it's expected that a lot of the players will follow.

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2015/4...-from-chivas-usa-academy-to-la-galaxy-academy

5. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you'll recall from the HBO Sports story, the last CUSA clown college owners did a pretty good job of running off coaches and players.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It would seem that to make it a real home field advantage would be to use a lot of high pressure and thus really make the opposition work to get the ball out of the back. When the Rapids win possession they need to move the ball quickly and decisively forcing the defending players to chase like crazy. If they slow play down and just go side to side the defending team doesn't have to work as much. Same with hitting a lot of direct balls.

COMtnGuy and wormhole repped this.
  7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Does this immediately or for next season?

8. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure would appreciate an immediate shakeup to see what an inspired tactical manager would do with the existing players. Don't expect it though. Don't expect much anymore.

jimijam28, JasonMa and Jimmydinho repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry Tim, but this article makes you look like an idiot:
    http://www.denverpost.com/rapids/ci...nt-evaluate-coach-pablo-mastroeni-after-final

And who's fault was that Tim? You had two damn months before you hired him and you did nothing!

No, 4 years ago we were 9 months removed from lifting MLS Cup and Gary Smith was complaining about your meddling to the Denver Post and stating how he couldn't work with Paul Bravo. Are you really sure you want to make that comparison Tim?

And his mealy mouth talk about how they're evaluating Pablo over the rest of the season? Typical BS double-speak.

COMtnGuy, Sports Yak, Jimmydinho and 7 others repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about if we evaluate Tim over the rest of the season? I'll be more than glad to start an "Official Tim Hinchey (as president) thread" if people think it would be worthwhile.

IMHO, Pablo isn't the coach to lead the Rapids forward. That said, replacing Pablo means nothing unless the top half of the technical staff goes out the door, too, and Tim darned well needs to lead that parade.

COMtnGuy, IndyRapids04, Rod1916 and 4 others repped this.
  12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Jason post from N&A:

That is interesting, I figured this "run" would mean nothing will change. If they fire Pablo, and as expected that's the only change, I'd say good luck, new coach and your aging roster.

Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.
  13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I want to echo that he was put in a no win situation and add that the people that put him in that situation should be fired first it will only add to the injustice if they get to continue to prove that they are worthless.

COMtnGuy, Stuart95, fortcollins and 3 others repped this.
  14. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Pablo goes, everyone that had a hand in hiring and "helping" him and thereby turning this club into a perennial dumpster fire should go too. this is a team that hired a rookie coach with 0 experience, gave him 0 experienced help, then sat on its hands during the flameout of 2014 (except for signing Zat Knight!), only to follow up that epically bad year by selling the only reliable goal scorer this team had before the 2015 season even started and left Pablo to run out a 4th round draft pick rookie as sole striker for what, 2 or 3 months? An absolute failure on every level of management, the coaching being merely the most obvious of a bad bunch.

COMtnGuy, fortcollins, Dom. FC and 2 others repped this.
  15. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Let's see. You hire a club legend that happens to be a green rookie coach and you give him a weak roster and expect miracles. Yeah, that only works in the movies. Someone should make a TIFO with a picture of Pablo up against a wall with a blindfold on, cigarette in his mouth and hands tied behind his back because he's about to get the Che Guevara treatment.

_Ace_, Jimmydinho and Rod1916 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of which is true but on top of it let's not forget Pablo is a bad coach. There's lots of reasons for that but he has to go along with the guys that put him in charge.

COMtnGuy, jimijam28, Dom. FC and 2 others repped this.
  17. JackSwaninCO

JackSwaninCO Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Pablo might not have been to blame for being in the situation (of course, he could have said no, knowing he had no experience), but he's responsible for not recognising that what he was doing wasn't working and thinking that doing the same thing each game was going to magically change things. Even if we consider the start of last year more of a result of the leftovers of Pareja's system, Pablo actually regressed in his tactics instead of improving them.

I honestly don't know what coalesced to make the KC game work as well as it did, but most of the other 6 of 9 wins have been awful games on our side that could have easily been draws or losses. The sudden support for him seems overly optimistic and undeserving.

18. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, I seem to remember that several of the losses and draws at the beginning of the season could have been wins had the players finished easy scoring chances. That shouldn't be on Pablo.

DavidJames and Rod1916 repped this.
  19. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    There is no way Pablo is "gone", now. If the teams closes out the season at the same rate we've seen the last 9 games I can't believe anyone goes, and I'll have to give it more thought as well. If they split, they'll have finished 10-7.

With all due respect to sources ;)

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure anything short of the playoffs could save him. This sounds like it isn't just about the results, its about Pablo being on a different page (hell, different book) than Tim and Paul.

And a split is probably not good enough to make the playoffs. That puts us at 45 and the line will probably be at 47, give or take a point.

So if he takes 5 of the last 8 he's have gone 11-6 in the back half of the season. Hard to justify firing him at that point unless that run is on the back of a number of lucky breaks.

21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    If I got to chose between Tim and Paul versus Pablo, I would keep Pablo.

Rod1916 and wilyZ repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd keep none of them but if you forced me to choose I'd go with Hinchey (success off the field) and Bravo (success at least with domestic signings, his international signings have largely been crap). Pablo's been successful at almost nothing.

jimijam28 repped this.
  23. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Thinking from Longmont, Pablo and Bravo both should either stay or go. If they continue the good run, then a "reasonable" argument could be made it's simply taken bringing the players (starting with Doyle) and having them work together to produce results. Throw out the idea that Pablo was playing players out of position, it was "simply" a matter of finding their best roles. (Yeah I know, fans are better at that then coaches,that's why we're fans). That logic provide cover for both Pablo and Bravo. How can you fire only Pablo, he's only had the last half of the season to coach this group of players.

They need to be treated as a pair.

As of 8/31, I'm waiting another month to decide.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Without the heads up choice, I say let their replacements hire the coach the replacement wants. I disagree with you about Bravo. He's past it. And the brief time that he does get half credit, I honestly believe that credit belongs to Smith over Bravo.

I also believe that Hinchey is barley keeping track to the rising tide, mostly sinking. Its hard for me to assess how much KSE is hand tying him and to what degree KSE recognizes they are hand tying him. So I kind of feel bad for him. But I believe we can do much better at the gate.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. wilyZ

wilyZ Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if hinchey stays and pablo goes, i'd be worried that he'd just do what he's done the last two times and hire someone with no actual hc experience. i'm tired of spending every other year waiting for the new coach to figure out how to do his job