Official Pablo (as coach) thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ~F8~, Apr 7, 2014.

1. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Nasco would have more trade value if we had never played him at all.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I guess if I really had to guess at a reason for Nasco's repeated trials, I'd guess Pablo's desperate for that guy out there who can be the leader he's always talking about. He praised Nasco for his leadership before his 2nd start (the red card game).

Though I can't explain Berner starting when Nasco was serving his red card suspension. Especially when Irwin has been Nasco's backup and not Berner.

3. IndyRapids04

IndyRapids04 Member

May 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that most of these are just jokes I'm just saying I think Nasco playing has less to do with Irwin doing something wrong and more to do with Pablo giving Nasco a chance at playing and redeeming himself.

4. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe but to me that still says more about Pablo's opinion of Irwin than his opinion of Nasco.

Totoro repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    True.

6. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Pablo contributed anything positive to this team this year? I was on the fence about him but I cannot thing of any reasons to bring him back. Does anyone have serious reasons why he should return?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's cheap and willing to put up with KSE BS?

(Note, those aren't reasons I think he should come back but they're the reasons he will come back)

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Pablo has apparently all of 2015, regardless of the rest of this season:
    518854054290550784 is not a valid tweet id

9. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, if you had showed me the lineup that started today last year I would have considered it decent. Not great but competitive. Now when I look at the lineup through a 2014 lens I think we need to blow it up with a couple of exceptions. Does Pareja deserve a lot more credit for making average players play above average or is Pablo just terrible or is it a combination. Either way it is amazing to see how a fairly similar lineup can go from one where I viewed as on a positive trajectory to one a think now is in a complete tailspin.

I'm not sure we can beat Chivas at this point. And with Chivas not playing next year I think unfortunately we will become the leagues sole laughingstock. Something has gone horribly wrong with this club.

10. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    PM said he was disappointed that today he felt the team didn't compete. Ha, where have you been, the team hasn't competed for most of the last 11 games. Around the same time the RFO decided to stop competing.

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD and JasonMa repped this.
  11. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    could?

22SteveD repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineup on Oct. 5th, 2013 when Colorado beat Seattle 5-1 at home:
    Irwin
    Wynne - Moor - O'Neill - Klute
    Thomas
    Sanchez - Powers - Sturgis
    Brown - Torres​

Linup on Oct 5th 2014, when Colorado lost to Seattle 4-1 at home:
    Irwin
    Klute - O'Neill - Wynne - Burch
    Jose Mari

Sanchez - Powers - LaBrocca
    Brown - Torres
    (Differences bolded)

Are those 3 changes alone responsible for a 7 goal swing?

13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    There were two teams on the field :)

14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Given that PM is in his first year, getting another year is reasonable. Given the number and severity of the losses, it is hard to be reasonable. But, having the next year is reasonable and I am hopeful that the team pulls it together once they get a mental break.

rod

Jimmydinho repped this.
  15. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even during the worst of the Pareja era, he had redeeming qualities that justified a second season. I Can't say the same for Pablo. His biggest quality per the FO seems to be that he will stick around. That isn't a quality. There is no justification for him to keep his job in my opinion

COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It seems like a reasonable comparison would be OP's first year and Pablo's first year, since both were/are pretty much HUGE train wrecks.

This season feels much much worse. At least OP had a reputation for identifying great young players. What is Pablo's redeeming quality, other than "former Rapids great"?

JasonMa repped this.
  17. delpy88

delpy88 Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has done NOTHING but made things worse with the lineup rotation, GK situation, tactical (or lack thereof) changes, and post game comments.

We will suck next year. They will fire him and be right back at rebuilding with a new coach in 2016.

IndyRapids04 repped this.
  18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Our player salaries are the lowest in the league (excluding Chivas USA), and it has been that way for a few years now. Young players and heart can only take you so far. You have to be willing to invest in a talented team if you want to be competitive. Bravo has not done this. All of the teams we have lost to in this streak are teams that have actually taken the time and effort to bring in players that have experience and a genuine track record, and it has shown.

Then of course there is coaching. Pablo has been abysmal, but lets not forget how bad Pareja was as well.

Stuart95 and jayd8888 repped this.
  19. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first year comparison is legit. The youth work is a plus for Pareja, though I still don't feel like he could translate his touch with the youth into getting success from his vets. And, his ability to drill the defense is still kind of a problem.

Pablo doesn't bring much to the table, or at least much that is proven. My concern is that he can't bring the recruiting network to balance out Bravo's limitations. Smith had 2nd - or 3rd - division Europe. Pareja had Central America. Pablo has nothing as far as I can tell.

COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So bad that Pablo will have to win on the road and beat OP at home to best OP's worst mark (or get two road wins). Since that horrible season OP took a Rapids team with many of the same players that can't compete this year to the playoffs and has a top 5 team right now in Dallas.

OP had a horrible first year as a head coach, but his 2 following years make it appear he learned something from it. I'm not yet convinced Pablo's learned anything.

21. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree OP is a much better coach than this board acknowledges. The one skill Pablo was supposed to have was man management and being a players coach. He has proven as inept at that as he is at tactics

area815 and JasonMa repped this.
  22. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    #297 RapidStorm, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Ermm, while the starting XI is largely the same, I think we're being a bit loose with "many" of the same players. There was a roster turnover of 20 players (the signing of Mari didn't make the latest update) in the offseason, and an additional 8 turned over during the season (not double-counting Rivero or Nasco; including Knight). For a team that's only keeping 28 players on the roster, that's pretty significant turnover and makes it hard to compare this year's and last year's teams as apples to apples.
    In fairness, OP didn't demonstrate he had learned anything during or immediately after his first season either - it really wasn't till about the middle of June last year that OP started to get on any run of consistent positive results. It's probably not fair to hold Pablo (as a complete rookie at coaching) to a higher standard (by expecting him to learn faster than OP) than a guy who spent several years coaching youth teams before making the jump to head coach. Granted, our general standard shouldn't be so low here that we're having to compare either OP's or Pablo's relative coaching acumen...but it is what it is.

Pareja is also benefitting from a better talent base in Dallas this year. I think we (and many MLS pundits) thought we had a rather deep talent base here too, but a lot of that was based on high expectations for a team of many overperforming rookies to suffer no drop in form, or to make a big leap in their second year. Which, as I've said elsewhere, was probably never a realistic expectation.

spot, Quinn 33 and jayd8888 repped this.
  23. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to sugar coat the recent skid, but this year has been a management disaster in the pre-season, Oscar-to-Pablo, and the initial core roster looked good, and we played well thru July. Not bad, we were posting "maybe this year will turn out special". Whatever didn't happen with Torres, some injuries, and the strange (to me) Irwin implosion all came on as other teams regrouped with their World Cup rosters and just ran us over. Sigh. Only now with 3 games left are we "officially" out of the playoffs, so we had some points at one time. We've been out of the playoffs since August ended, for me.

For 2015, can we have a decent off season and *not* be completing a roster in June like so many years? Credit the Powers/Klute/Brown/Serna finds, but the RFO needs to do that again, settle on a worthwhile DP (Torres looked so promising last season), find a *real* defensive Middie, get some help for the central defense.

R

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think we're calling it like it is here. Pablo is not proving to be a good coach to the point that OP might be better. That makes me draw the conclusion that once again KSE failed us. Too cheap to buy a real coach. Three years now of inept coaches.

IndyRapids04, spot, 22SteveD and 2 others repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe even if KSE opened the purse strings to pay a coach whatever he wanted, that coach still would not take job having to deal with the Morons that run this team.

22SteveD, Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.